A major change in military pay?

DFRESH

Sounds good in sound-bite form.

Perhaps we will no longer be the highest-paying opportunity for History majors and a low-ball opportunity for IT experts.

Or perhaps it will all get lost in a cluster of budget battles on The Hill

And we thought the Air Force was run by peppergrinders now...wait until we start giving bonuses based on strats.

Easy fix. Just pay bonuses based on EKIA. You'd have folks scrambling for the traditionally hard to fill jobs.

• Upvote 2

The plus side, they could attach bonuses to shitty assignments/IA billets to offer something more for taking the crap deal. Give them something more than, "just do 2 years a crap location X and I'll put a note in here about how you helped us out for HRC to ignore on your next PCS cycle."

Edited by Lawman
  • Upvote 1

It should go without saying...but I'll say it anyway.

(Dons tinfoil hat)

I don't have any special insight into this program, but I don't need a weathervane to tell me which way the sun shines (sorry, couldn't resist).

There may be a few outliers, but I'm sure that this is another gee-whiz way to save money, just like the "reforms" in retirement pay.

Person A may get a "bonus", but it will be paid for by Persons B, C, D and E getting less. Then Persons F~Z will get *also* get less, because the whole goal here is to save money.

My bet is that there will be a pause in the CPI -> Pay Raise link (i.e. CPI goes up 2%, the "general dude/dudette" pay scale only goes up 1%) for a year or two, saving $100 million in the budget, of which $31 million will be spread out in "bonuses", leaving $69 million saved right here and now. Screw that "wait 20 years to see results" stuff!