ANG Enlist or AFRC

mrgrey

At a critical age, 25 and want to go balls to the wall but also be strategic as well with getting a slot. I am wondering if I should enlist in a guard unit or try my chances with AFRC which I heard the odds are really good getting a slot. I think OTS is out of the question with these scores.

Afoqt scores, taken twice but got the okay for a 3rd attempt after 150days (Form T waiver)

Pilot :83

Nav: 36

Acad: 34

Verb:47

Quant :26

B.A. 3.59 GPA

PCSM is 75 with 72  flight hours, but will max to 87 at 201  flight hours.

Edited by mrgrey
Score update

Not the best of numbers, but OTS is NOT out of the question...I've seen people get selected with numbers like that. The board's selection score sheet reflects about 15 various scored sub-categories, with a min and max score for each (meaning any single category contributes a max of 5-7% of your score). On the other hand, busy recruiters tend to make initial judgments about working with you based on the "Matrix" score...the total of the A/V/Q numbers. Since the numbers are percentiles a 50 is the middle of the pack and they like to see a matrix score of 150 or better (meaning the top half of the test takers. A busy recruiter may not want to take the time with you (unless you're hot to fly RPAs). Doing really well on the TBAS would help particularly since the PCSM is well above the 50% mark.

As for selection itself, that really depends on the number of slots available to your particular board. You can be in the top third of the board's scoring, but if there are only enough training slots for 20% you could still be out of luck, and that's an unknown that varies from board to board.

I don't have enough experience on the AFRES/ANG side to provide a good answer.

Edited by HiFlyer

I have sent about 7 packages to ANG FW UPT boards. I have not sent any packages to AFRC because you need to work with a recruiter but I am currently in contact with one.

Talked to OTS recruiter and he pretty much was only interested in seeing when I would be retaking AFOQT. I can't seem to get a hold him anymore, but I will keep trying.

Just talked to a recruiter, he said he sent someone to UPT with 75 Pilot and 66 PCSM.

You asked for feedback and Seriously provided some. Stop being a SNAP and take the advice and move on. Seriously was actually being nice...I'll say what he didn't. Your AFOQT scores are terrible. Get some study material and put forth the extra effort and bring all of them up if this is something you are committed to. Otherwise, stop wasting your time.

You asked for feedback and Seriously provided some. Stop being a SNAP and take the advice and move on. Seriously was actually being nice...I'll say what he didn't. Your AFOQT scores are terrible. Get some study material and put forth the extra effort and bring all of them up if this is something you are committed to. Otherwise, stop wasting your time.

Thanks for the input. I have taken the test twice and studied very hard for it, my first pilot score was in the 50s. I have used pretty much every book produced. My original post was not regarding my AFOQT scores, it was making the best decision for what I got. I am commited to go to UPT and don't care how I get there.

Edited by mrgrey