Addressing past legal issues

I'm interested to hear thoughts on what might be the most effective way to demonstrate that my current character isn't indicative of my past mistakes. I intend to fully disclose my past legal troubles (2 separate underage drinking incidents when 18 and 20) on the AF Form 24 and to any who ask. I promptly did as I was instructed by the court without any issues (Community service and alcohol/abuse class) and put those incidents behind as lessons learned. I'm just hoping to get a chance to explain myself to the boards before I'm dismissed as an applicant because of those blemishes.

I've graduated from a large university with a 3.5 GPA, hold a PPL, have volunteer experience, I am confident I can obtain some strong LORs, and above all have remained absolutely trouble free. What opportunities should I seek to demonstrate this to any potential boards? Cover Letter? Base Visits? Phone calls? Or do I just wait and hope they bring it up in the interview (If I'm so lucky to receive one) so I can truthfully tell them the difference it's made and strides I've taken to improve? Can I attach an addendum to my application highlighting these past events and what it's meant to me?

I appreciate any insight.

Just be up front and honest when the question comes up. If in the application process the question is asked, definitely don't lie and definitely divulge everything because you'll have to anyway when it comes time for your security clearance.

Side note: I received 2 underage alcohol violations and had 9 moving violations before I was commissioned and it didn't affect me in any way. I was just honest with what happened.

Send applications out to as many units (Guard & Reserve) as you can and just be yourself when it comes time to visit and interview. Per a friend of mine in the Reserves - "we can train a monkey to fly, we want to know what kind of person you are."

Good luck...

Edited by Tank

I don't really see this being an issue. In both interviews I went to I was asked about old trouble with the law. I didn't have any MIP's but I think the right unit wouldn't care... The unit that did hire me had the real interview at the bar that night, the unit that didn't hire me was a little more uptight.

Most units have you fill out the AF Form 24 so put it on there. I don't think you need to bring it up in CV or any where else in your packet. Rush the unit, try to talk to the person in charge of pilot hiring. They may or may not ask about legal trouble. If you are really worried as them. Each unit is different but what Tank said is true, they can teach anyone to fly, these guy want to know weather they can be deployed with you and spend a long time in the cockpit shooting the shit with you.

Good luck and feel free to message me with any other questions or specifics.