VA Claims

Fud

14 hours ago, RogAir said:

Just got my report back after applying for VA disability. I filed 9 items (20+ years service).  All items "rejected"; some even cited as "didn't happen" while clearly shown in medical records.  Has anyone else received this type of rejection?  Everyone I've talked to has gotten at least a 0% rating, most get 10-30%. Not looking for a check, just want a 0% rating...

Are you working with any VSO? Those guys know what they're doing...

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, some were service connected. Affect QOL? Yes, sometimes.  How are guys getting ratings for ski accidents? Those aren't service related...

I was not working with a VSO, I will with my appeal though.

Being in CA, I'm not sure how pro-Vet my Senators are:( 

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2015 at 7:24 PM, Robo said:

50% is the magic number to receive concurrent payments from both the VA and a military retirement. Anything under 50% both sides pay but the amount paid by the VA (tax free) is subtracted from the retirement.

Not quite, you need a combat finding or a 20 year letter as well.

On 8/18/2016 at 4:14 PM, RogAir said:

Just got my report back after applying for VA disability. I filed 9 items (20+ years service).  All items "rejected"; some even cited as "didn't happen" while clearly shown in medical records.  Has anyone else received this type of rejection?  Everyone I've talked to has gotten at least a 0% rating, most get 10-30%. Not looking for a check, just want a 0% rating...

I got a rejection as well, but it's a long story and it isn't over yet.  I got sick, filed a VA claim 4 years after leaving active duty, and subsequently put into the IDES system.  The claim I made on my own with a VSO help was denied completely due to the 1 year rule, but my PUEBLO says its crap and my IDES claim is still going through the process.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 2:47 PM, RogAir said:

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, some were service connected. Affect QOL? Yes, sometimes.  How are guys getting ratings for ski accidents? Those aren't service related...

I was not working with a VSO, I will with my appeal though.

Being in CA, I'm not sure how pro-Vet my Senators are:( 

I guess I was fortunate with my representation because the guy showed up at my TAP class.  I ended up choosing the DAV and really liked what they had to do for me.  I ended up getting my rating two months after leaving Active Duty. 

I highly recommend going with a VSO because they can advocate for your appeal.  Good luck. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2016 at 1:47 PM, RogAir said:

How are guys getting ratings for ski accidents? Those aren't service related...

Common misconception.  Hand-in-hand with the "you're on duty 24/7" philosophy, pretty much anything not resulting from something causing a negative line-of-duty determination is "service related":  if you're on AD, and skiing "legally" (not contrary to lawful orders to the contrary, or AWOL, or whatever else could render it non-LOD), any injury resulting from that is "service related"....

PS:  Yes, I know this is an old(ish) post I'm replying to....

• 3 years later...

Thread necro but probably worth it to get information out:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/333/text

tl;dr Bill proposes all 20+ year retirees receive concurrent VA disability and retirement pay. It also proposes medical retirees with less than 20 years can draw retirement pay and VA disability.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

54 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

Thread necro but probably worth it to get information out:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/333/text

tl;dr Bill proposes all 20+ year retirees receive concurrent VA disability and retirement pay. It also proposes medical retirees with less than 20 years can draw retirement pay and VA disability.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

That was introduced last January 8th and hasn't had any action on it?

• 2 weeks later...

Many folks disregard the VA disability benefits. Please do not take them lightly and do some research for your own sake.

You are entitled (bad word regarding others) to the benefits of your service. At one time I felt this was not worthwhile pursing (my own negligence), but it turns out the benefits are quite extraordinary. 

You maybe eligible for healthcare, or at least a co-pay scenario. Granted, your current insurance may be better and in some cases depending on which is designated as primary, the secondary may pick up the rest.

VA Home loans. With a disability rating (maybe even 0% I think, you should ask), they will waive the funding fee.

*In my case, I didn’t receive my disability rating before I purchased a home; therefore, I paid a funding fee rolled up into the loan itself. Turns out, I submitted my VA rating about 3 months after the purchase. I could not recoup the fee immediately, but when I sold the home they refunded the fee. So you still receive the benefit in some form or another if your proactive.

Annually I receive a health checkup at my VA Hospital and they provide a basic physical including bloodwork. I have had special soles for my shoes made, physical therapy appointments, medicines given and sometimes they have tried to give more than I want to take. Example: cholesterol medicine which I thought was overkill since it was at the “limit” per say and I could control it via diet and exercise. Fairly lethargic and a food maniac, I changed my ways plus some additional exercise while on my international trips and have had no further issues whatsoever. They meant well, but I attempt to stay away from any required medicines if at all possible. TMI - Colonoscopy covered as well, it’ll save your life. They provide all the CPAP equipment I require/desire and monitor my performance annually. FAA is far stricter, but it is nice having a invested provider. Prescription refills roll in a week after I order over the phone. My experience has been very good based on the area I live in.

*Note: Not all VA hospitals/facilities are created equal. I happen to have two outstanding options nearby.

Basically, the VA Disability is a dart board. Throw anything and everything at it, they determine what sticks! If your not content with their findings you can challenge the decision. It doesn’t guarantee you anything, but you may have the ability to provide more information substantiating your claim. Worth a shot!!!

One of my friends fought hard for 7 years to finalize/validate his claim (you also have 1 year after you retire/depart service to file a claim). After much strife and relentless pursuit, he was finally awarded the second portion to his rating. In the end they paid him 7 years worth of monetary benefits retroactively = over $80k.

It was worth nearly $1k a month additionally x 7 years... plus tax free. And now it’s added monthly to his previous payments.

Might be worth your time, might not. It’s all your choice. Just be aware that you need to list this type of benefit on the FAA MedExpress documentation if you fly commercially.

Edited by AirGuardianC141747

Somewhat related: if you qualify for a VHIC (service connected and enrolled in the VA health system), you can shop at the BX/Commissary/Class Six now.

Ops-tested this week good with a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch. 🥃

• 2 months later...

Need some assistance with folks with ANG/AFRC experience who understand the VA disability claims process. Here's my story--happy to elaborate via PM.

History of active duty, guard reserves. Was on a set of T32 AGR orders and wasn't sure if they would be extended. Within 90 days of my T32 AGR orders ending, submitted a fully developed claim through my VSO. Lots of time at VA hospitals for x rays, C&P exams, etc. Ended up getting 40% rating. In the midst of the claims process, I was given a new set of T32 AGR orders. As soon as I received my first disability check from VA, I filed to withhold VA disability compensation, paid back the $ and said I'd contact the VA when my orders were done or I retired to restart payment. Fast forward a few months and the VA is now trying to sever (not suspend) service connection and propose that I go through the ENTIRE process again (because I was on orders at the time, even within the 90 days of orders potentially being stopped). Just need some help whether or not this is a battle worth fighting. For the few months after I filed to withhold compensation, my records reflected my 40% rating with $0 monthly payment. Why the change?

Thanks in advance.