Hornet to Eagle/Viper

VMFA187

Gents,

I've been toying around with the option of not staying in the Marine Corps once my initial commitment has been completed. This is due to a multitude of factors: 1/1 deployment to home ratios, aging airframes and declining flight hours, etc... That being said, each and every time I come back from a DCA, AI, or BFM flight I swear I'd sell my soul to keep doing it.

I'm curious about the ANG and Reserve options, and I've done a fair amount of research, but I still feel relatively in the dark when it comes to the Air Force as a whole. Would a first tour, 4-ship Hornet flight lead be competitive in potentially getting selected for an ANG or Reserve Fighter unit? I know that the Air Force does business a little differently than we do, but I've also served as our Airframes Division OIC as well as our Aviation Safety Officer.

Any discussion, guidance, or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

S/F

I'm not in the guard, but I know there are plenty of former Navy/Marine aviators in guard units.

I'm not sure about the transition course for a guy like you, but I think you would be able to be in a little more abbreviated course. Luckily, there's plenty of Ang/Reserve guys that can help more.

Good luck

The only thing I can offer is to say that I saw a few Navy/Marines cross over to the Viper when I was in maintenance in the Air Guard so it is definitely doable. I'll also qualify that by saying I have been away from the Guard for 12 years now so I know nothing about the current climate. I saw many cross over from all the other branches to the 130 in my 8 years as an FE. Only one of those that I can remember was a single seat guy (MC Harrier). From my limited perspective I think it just boils down to their manning situation and if they think you are a good dude. I'll also add that I have never heard any of them say, "Damn, I wish I hadn't left the <insert branch> to come to the AF". Good luck

I saw a Marine Hornet guy interviewing with the 125th FW (Eagles) last year -- and I'm pretty sure he got a job.

I mostly remember this because he told a great story about how he shit his pants on short final while in country.

Edited by Milchstrasse

We had both Navy and USMC former Hornet pilots at my last ANG unit. It can be done. Same rules of rushing a unit apply. Spend a few hours on this site getting the gouge, buy a handle of Jack, and start visiting the unit you want to fly with!

Check out the SECNAV inter service transfer instruction so you can transfer straight from active duty and not have a break in service. I would advise you to get the process started early. I'm a Navy H-60 pilot transferring to an ANG H-60 squadron. I got hired in March 2014 and I'm still waiting on my transfer paperwork. PM me if you would like some further details on going gold to silver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk