Guard RPA.....Any Chance of UPT?

CBM guy was hired to fly a aircraft, his unit lost the jet and only has Reapers.

same thing happened to one of my buddies while he was in 38s but he was able to work a deal with another unit.

Herkbum,

You know roughly the length of 18x training is? Also I know some guard guys have went to UPT. Is that decision up to unit or guard bereau?

Thanks again

I believe it is 5 months, but I'm not currently sitting at my desk for the solid answer.

We had 2 hired for 18x, was advised by NGB that they didn't fill all of their UPT slots (don't ask why, cause I don't know), and were switched to UPT. I believe I heard last week that those 2 will now go 18x due to their packets not getting approved quickly enough to make it in this FY (again on NGB for the backlog). So it looks like it is FY dependent.

BL is you will most likely know when applying and/or when interviewing if the position is UPT or 18x. But, as I stated earlier, expect 18x. Most of the RPA UPT slots I know about are for locations where the OG also had RC-26's.

There may be some opportunities for new hires to go to UPT if they do a stint with an ANG MC-12 unit and then return to their ANG RPA unit for permanent assignment. This is only a proposal, and right now doesn't look likely.

From what I heard the 118th Wing in Nashville is sending all of their RPA pilot candidates to full-up UPT vice the 18X pipeline. From a recruiter and not the final word but FYI.

News to me

Latest I heard (today)- Candidates have to agree to attend either 18x (URT) or UPT upon acceptance of position. Candidate will find out which they are attending when the training dates drop. Makes it a craps shoot, so why not roll the dice.

Edited by herkbum
  • Upvote 1

What I know: Theres an RPA guardsman in my class at LX who will track T-1s. Their unit is still sending folks though UPT.

What I've heard: Most guard units are still sending their RPA Pilots through UPT. Supposedly you can get all the days you want bumming as an drone pilot. As far as an airline guy bypassing any pipeline training, you still skip IFS/IFT if you have a PPL. Though your unit may still chose to send you to Pueblo regardless.

Thanks guys. Two more questions. I heard the washout rate is extremely high. What are these guys having trouble with? Second question is im an airline guy so would I bypass any training? Thanks

11x track studs coming from the guard will sometimes bypass IFS, i'm not sure at who's discression they do so. my friend who did was 3k+ hours.