Any small/med business owners here?

Hi there. I own a few small businesses, one of which is growing well enough to expand to a multi-location operation (a big step for us). I'm wondering if there are any other Guardsmen/Reservists here who own their own business who have either a) balanced their service obligation with running their business or b) specifically have gone through UPT while owning their business (and possibly running from afar).

The expectation that was made when I was hired into my guard unit was that I will basically need to disappear off the face of the planet for 2-3 years during UPT and we're thinking about maybe hiring a general manager to run the place while I'm gone or selling out of the business until I can come back to traditional status. I am exploring options right now but hoping to get opinions from folks who have ALREADY GONE through UPT and even better, folks who did it while owning and running their business.

I have a lot of respect for the level of experience and opinions on these forums so I'm hoping to get informed responses from folks who may have gone through something like that. I don't need to be reminded that I will be 110% focused on flying during UPT or that I won't have time for anything else :).

I'm a Reserve AGR (full timer) and own a small business. It's not the most time consuming thing in the world but it occupies a lot of brain bytes. I couldn't imagine doing it while I was in UPT.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the responses guys. At UPT is there any leeway for emergencies (for example someone getting hurt or killed at my place) for me to spend a weekend away or something?

Family emergencies, yes. I've never seen/heard anyone with that owned a full-time small business in UPT so that would be handled on a case by case basis and not guaranteed. Leave isn't really granted unless you finish phase II (T-6) or phase III (T-38/T-1) early. Granted if it's a possible legal entanglement with your business that could be cause to be put on admin hold.

I would hire a general manager.

Edited by LookieRookie

Family emergencies, yes. I've never seen/heard anyone with that owned a full-time small business in UPT so that would be handled on a case by case basis and not guaranteed. Leave isn't really granted unless you finish phase II (T-6) or phase III (T-38/T-1) early. Granted if it's a possible legal entanglement with your business that could be cause to be put on admin hold.

I would hire a general manager.

I think that's where we're headed. Thanks for your input.