I need help and im not too sure where to start!

rogbern97

Hey guys so im 17 years old and I've always wanted to be a fighter pilot, ive been doing my research and i had a plan layed out but im no too sure about it; pretty much i want to devise a solid plan that will maximize my chances of getting a pilot slot. Heres my plan

-first join the reserves to help with school and to set me apart from the other cadets in my future detachment,(will this be a problem with rotc involvement?)(and should i do this/will it hurt me more than help?)

-once im done with basic and tech, im obviously going to university but heres my problem, and it ties in with my whole reserves plan because of location ( will attending a crosstown university hurt me, meaning will my chances of standing out towards my cadre and getting a slot decrease?)

- then if all goes well once im in the reserves assuming i haven't deployed and im in my junior year all qualified and in the top of my det ill hopefully get a slot lol

Please help me solidify my plan and any advice helps thanks guys!!!

Hey guys so im 17 years old and I've always wanted to be a fighter pilot, ive been doing my research and i had a plan layed out but im no too sure about it; pretty much i want to devise a solid plan that will maximize my chances of getting a pilot slot. Heres my plan

-first join the reserves to help with school and to set me apart from the other cadets in my future detachment,(will this be a problem with rotc involvement?)(and should i do this/will it hurt me more than help?)

-once im done with basic and tech, im obviously going to university but heres my problem, and it ties in with my whole reserves plan because of location ( will attending a crosstown university hurt me, meaning will my chances of standing out towards my cadre and getting a slot decrease?)

- then if all goes well once im in the reserves assuming i haven't deployed and im in my junior year all qualified and in the top of my det ill hopefully get a slot lol

Please help me solidify my plan and any advice helps thanks guys!!!

I was in the same situation a few years back.

I joined the Air National instead of the reserve because of the education benefits (100% tuition + GI Bill SR) and after tech school and On-the-job training started AFROTC.

-I wouldnt say it " set me apart from the other cadets" but having experience from basic and tech school helped me get some things quicker than my peers.

- I was attending a croswtown college and to me it looked like the Det Commander did not care what school you were attending as long as you were getting good grades and volunteering for things.

If somehow you can pull an AFROTC scholarship right after high school, take it and don't look back. You will be able to get your commission quicker and go to pilot training sooner.

As a crosstown I drank way more beer, studied half as much, and had way more fun than the host school dudes. There will be plenty of kool aid to drink for the next 15 years of your life. Don't get to caught up in the impressing your cadre and being better than everyone else business. Show up, do your best, be a bro, and make as many friends with your classmates as possible.

Standard answer: Don't join reserves or guard. Be a straight A college student in a degree you're interested in, don't break any laws, chase skirts, have fun, get slot, profit.

• Upvote 3

I enlisted and did a few years before going into AFROTC, was able to use my G.I. Bill.

Be advised that after a few years of being enlisted, going to AFROTC has the potential to drive you batshit insane.

• Upvote 1

Whether or not you do well in ROTC is based almost entirely on your own performance in the program, regardless if you're prior enlisted or cross town. The education benefits might be useful though if you enlist, but you still have a chance to get an ROTC scholarship out of high school or early in college, so keep that in mind too. There's no one path that can guarantee a slot either.

Go join a guard unit, go to college without ROTC, apply to get hired in the Guard. If it doesn't work out, enjoy your paid for college and your mostly civilian life, where you get to do whatever you want whenever you want.

Maybe not statistically your best chance of getting a pilot slot. Probably statistically your best chance of enjoying your life.

Just kidding. But seriously...

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Upvote 1

I joined a guard unit to get in good with a fighter squadron who turned out to not want me because i'm too old. I spent alot of time that would have been better spent in college going to tech school, learning my job, going on trips, getting older and needing a better job. I got a slot by the skin of my teeth. If you join to go to college, mind the community you join. To wit: don't become a crew cheif and half ass it or you will be eaten alive.

Edited by 12xu2a3x3
  • Upvote 1