Wrongful Firings: Latest John Q. Public post

Don Frank

http://www.jqpublicblog.com/curbing-wrongful-termination-in-the-air-force-four-common-sense-reforms/

I've been hearing a lot more lately about a lot of the toxic leadership problems in the Air Force and a few victims of wrongful firings. Thoughts on the content of the post and topic? Has anyone seen or hear about this happening to someone they know?

Reality (and one that I don't like): squadron commanders are middle management. Middle management often gets fired for things out of their control. That's pretty much true in any large organization, and there are more safeguards in the AF than in any size-comparable organization.

Reality (and one that I don't like): squadron commanders are middle management. Middle management often gets fired for things out of their control. That's pretty much true in any large organization, and there are more safeguards in the AF than in any size-comparable organization.

You have to admit it's gotten worse of late. Squadron commanders have also become the scapegoats for many an incompetent O-6. Also nothing new, but IMHO happening in larger numbers.

You have to admit it's gotten worse of late.

I'm not sure if it's gotten worse or if increased connectivity through a very vocal blogger, chat boards, and social media has allowed more of these to be known to a wider circle. 10 years ago, I wouldn't have known about the firing of a C-130 SQ/CC as it's pretty far from my lane. Today, I know about that.

• Upvote 2

On a positive note with the amount of information that is now passed via social media, internet, etc about stuff like this, Commander's can't sweep much under the rug anymore without letting it get public and at least looked at by senior leadership.

I know damn well Rat would've swept Kiser's firing under the rug, nobody would of questioned it, and he'd be on to his first star. Due to the intense social media and blogger postings Rat's plan got derailed and he'll never get that star.

Edited by Azimuth

On a positive note with the amount of information that is now passed via social media, internet, etc about stuff like this, Commander's can't sweep much under the rug anymore without letting it get public and at least looked at by senior leadership.

I know damn well Rat would've swept Kiser's firing under the rug, nobody would of questioned it, and he'd be on to his first star. Due to the intense social media and blogger postings Rat's plan got derailed and he'll never get that star.

So it sounds like we're moving in the right direction then. Even so, Kaiser still seems to have been wrongfully fired and the culture is such that these firings can still happen at the rate they have been.

• 2 weeks later...

From a coworker at Jetblue who worked with Kaiser said he was exhonerated and was given a job at AMC so he could get his 20 and get out. Rat was put in a job at a ROTC detachment. Yikes!

Just who we want molding/setting the example for future officers...

From a coworker at Jetblue who worked with Kaiser said he was exhonerated and was given a job at AMC so he could get his 20 and get out.

He briefed us when I was at GRACC a little while back. I believe he's the chief of the SAAM cell (or one of the other planning directorates) at TACC.