Vision waiver info

aspec

It'd be the same waiver application, possibly with 2 diagnoses, but I would anticipate it would be rolled into one. Look at the links in my sig for the Aircrew Waiver guide; it doesn't break up near vision from the other standards. It's all one category.

They will probably roll them into one if they are related. I had an initial waiver completed right before I deployed for my PRK. When I got back, I went to MFS and while going thru the eye doc, he mentioned that in my records I had a history of Lattis (sp?).

He included the lattis info in the same waiver as my PRK....

Hello all. First off, let me thank you in advance. I know this subject has been beaten to death. I have read everything in this thread as well as another thread on these forums where the subject has been touched upon. Anyways, I have familiarized myself with the waivers and basic limitations pertaining to eye sight. I have been selected for a pilot slot from a Reserve unit recently and am in the process of trying to set up my FC1 at Wright Patterson and eventually going off to OTS. I recently (within the past week) went to my civilian eye doctor to have a cyclo refraction exam taken and the results were:

OD = -200 x -100 x 90

OS = -275 x -100 x 70

Both eyes are correctable to 20/20 and I have no other issues besides the refraction and slight astigmatism. Here are my questions:

1- From these results, is it safe to say my refraction in my right eye is right at -3.0 and my left eye is at -3.75? I know the waiverable requirements are at most -3.0 for excessive refraction so I am assuming I am out of luck to get a waiver because of my left eye being -3.75, correct?

2- How strict are they on these standards? I do believe the waivers limitations I found were dated 2006 so I am not sure if the AF has changed these or not and if it is any different for reservists than the guys going AD.

3- Since my -100 astigmatism is the reason I go above the -3.00 maximum waiverable limit (based on my calculations, I am not sure if I am wrong) in my left eye, is there anyway the SG would waive my astigmatism which in turn would allow for the waiver of my excessive refraction error?

4- If I am not allowed to get any waivers because my left eye is over the limit, my next option would be PRK/LASIK correct?

Obviously this is the route I would have to take and would do so ASAP because this is something I really want and I have worked relatively hard at getting to this point already (most of you probably already know this feeling). This leads me to my last question.

5- What is the timeframe I should expect if I have to get PRK/LASIK? I am aware of the 12month post-op wait for FC1 and based on my Pre-Op findings, I should be allowed to undergo PRK/LASIK. I am just curious as to how they would handle it. My recruiter hasn't had too much great information for me. I turned 26 back in may and I am aware there is an age limit you must meet prior to OTS.

Again, thank you for your time and sorry for the rant.

1- From these results, is it safe to say my refraction in my right eye is right at -3.0 and my left eye is at -3.75? I know the waiverable requirements are at most -3.0 for excessive refraction so I am assuming I am out of luck to get a waiver because of my left eye being -3.75, correct?
In a nutshell, yes.
2- How strict are they on these standards? I do believe the waivers limitations I found were dated 2006 so I am not sure if the AF has changed these or not and if it is any different for reservists than the guys going AD.
Look at my signature block for the link to the most recent waiver standards. The haven't changed much at all from the info you have. Refractive error was last certified in Mar 2012. The only way to exceed these standards for FC1 is with an exception to policy letter and WITH medical approval. To be brief, NO, you're screwed on this. Try for a FC IA/II.
3- Since my -100 astigmatism is the reason I go above the -3.00 maximum waiverable limit (based on my calculations, I am not sure if I am wrong) in my left eye, is there anyway the SG would waive my astigmatism which in turn would allow for the waiver of my excessive refraction error?
Yeah, no. Guess what? The people that grant these waivers know the vision standards very well. You can't think you could really pull something that silly?
4- If I am not allowed to get any waivers because my left eye is over the limit, my next option would be PRK/LASIK correct?

Obviously this is the route I would have to take and would do so ASAP because this is something I really want and I have worked relatively hard at getting to this point already (most of you probably already know this feeling). This leads me to my last question.

5- What is the timeframe I should expect if I have to get PRK/LASIK? I am aware of the 12month post-op wait for FC1 and based on my Pre-Op findings, I should be allowed to undergo PRK/LASIK. I am just curious as to how they would handle it. My recruiter hasn't had too much great information for me. I turned 26 back in may and I am aware there is an age limit you must meet prior to OTS.

Go here or have your recruiter go for you:
And here: http://airforcemedic...name=CTB_125601. This last one doesn't require a CAC.

In a nutshell, yes.Look at my signature block for the link to the most recent waiver standards. The haven't changed much at all from the info you have. Refractive error was last certified in Mar 2012. The only way to exceed these standards for FC1 is with an exception to policy letter and WITH medical approval. To be brief, NO, you're screwed on this. Try for a FC IA/II.Yeah, no. Guess what? The people that grant these waivers know the vision standards very well. You can't think you could really pull something that silly?Go here or have your recruiter go for you:And here: http://airforcemedic...name=CTB_125601. This last one doesn't require a CAC.

Thank you for the timely response. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't a FC1 required for all pilots? Why would I go for an FC1A or FC11 if I am wanting to fly? Also, in regards to the astigmatism waiver question, I wouldn't try and pull anything on anyone, I am just trying to become informed.

Also, if they have already scheduled me for a FC1 after reviewing my paper work and eye exams thoroughly, haven't they already seen my eye exam results and seen what my cyclo refraction is? Just curious as to why they would schedule me if they already knew I needed to get surgery? Again I am new at this so any information is good information.

Thank you for the timely response. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't a FC1 required for all pilots? Why would I go for an FC1A or FC11 if I am wanting to fly?

FC1 is for pilots. You would do one of the other classes for navigator or another rated aircrew position, just not the pilot.
Also, if they have already scheduled me for a FC1 after reviewing my paper work and eye exams thoroughly, haven't they already seen my eye exam results and seen what my cyclo refraction is? Just curious as to why they would schedule me if they already knew I needed to get surgery?
DOn't know. They'll re-accomplish all the eye exams anyway; perhaps they wan't to double check them. They may educate you on the possibility of a non-pilot position or the potential for surgery. I don't fully understand why they scheduled you when you clearly bust the max waiver standard.

• 6 months later...

Just had my IFC1. Came out to 20/80 in both eyes, and my refractive error was outside the normal standard but was within the waiverable standard (-2.25 and -2.50 I think). My near vision also tested out to 20/30. All other parts of my physical were within standard and passed.

What are my chances of getting my waiver approved? I'm feeling pretty good because I tested so close to the 20/70 limit.

^ did they say you were good to go at your FC1? Although nothing can be certain, you should be fine. My eyes tested just a tad worse than yours and my FC1 was approved wtih waiver for myopia. Usually takes 3-5 weeks to hear anything back. Contact recruiter if you havent heard by that point. Best of luck.

Also, having a -2.5 refraction error is closer to 20/150 I would think, not 20/80. As long as it doesnt exceed 20/200 and is correctable to 20/20 I believe your fine.

Edited by AceMohr

Thank you. I was just as surprised with the 20/80 number. A few months ago at my own eye doctor I tested at 20/100. I think I just had a good day with my eyes and also maybe guessed right on the O's vs D's etc...

Fingers crossed.

• 1 month later...

Any reason to worry after not hearing anything about my vision waiver after over 5 weeks? Contacted my recruiter today and he had not heard anything either. I'm assuming its just riding the paper work train around, but thought I would check.

• 1 month later...

Coming up on the 3 month point since my physical and still no word on the waiver for refractive error. Anyone with any insight into the process know why it might be taking so long? A few of my fellow OTS selects had the exact same waiver approved in one to two weeks.

I've tried getting updates from my recruiter but he always says he has no new info.

One possible reason:

Do you have any other condition that may have needed a waiver (don't list it/them in response)? Disqualifying conditions are all submitted together and the waiver authority addresses each condition.

Also, is the waiver for CRS or excessive refractive error? Do you know if you meet waiver criteria? Sometimes, waivers must be submitted regardless of criteria just to be denied. Not trying to freak you out, but that is a possibility. read the waiver guide linked in my signature.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Also, is the waiver for CRS or excessive refractive error? Do you know if you meet waiver criteria? Sometimes, waivers must be submitted regardless of criteria just to be denied. Not trying to freak you out, but that is a possibility. read the waiver guide linked in my signature.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

It was for refractive error. As far as I know I was within the waiver criteria based on the numbers I heard while taking my physical and the numbers I got from my own eye doctor shortly before the physical.

I did get in touch with someone today in Flight Medicine where I took the physical, and they notified me that my paperwork was sent to AETC yesterday for approval, so that is good news. Any idea how long it takes to hear back once the paperwork is in their hands?

It was for refractive error. As far as I know I was within the waiver criteria based on the numbers I heard while taking my physical and the numbers I got from my own eye doctor shortly before the physical.

I did get in touch with someone today in Flight Medicine where I took the physical, and they notified me that my paperwork was sent to AETC yesterday for approval, so that is good news. Any idea how long it takes to hear back once the paperwork is in their hands?

81L BLR's prediction may be more accurate than mine, but I usually see them dispositioned in less than 2 weeks. Call back next week again to verify its' status, but do not be the annoying patient calling the office every day when the decision is already up at MAJCOM.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well kind of depressing that I am again posting in this topic, but due to Sequestration myself and 37 other OTS selects have found out that we have been indefinitely pushed back from our 14-04 OTS class. As of right now we do not have new class dates, but are hearing that we might not go until August 2014 at the earliest.

My question is, what happens with my flight physical and waiver, esp if I don't get a class till August or later? I know the physical is only good for one year, and I had mine stamped as approved on July 18th, 2013. Will I have to re-do my physical and waiver?

words

Try not to quote superseded regulation that is over a decade old. New 48-123 is linked in my signature as standards for continued duty. Read para 3.1.3.

You don't need to reaccomplish the whole thing but you will likely complete the shorter, annual physical and required waiver exams (read the details of your waiver). Also, if you haven't accomplished MFS yet, ask your OTS POC.

Thanks for the replies. I found the information I was looking for, but did develop a couple of more questions, specifically regarding the following statement in paragraph 3.1.3.4. that reads, "Note: While attending UPT/UNT training FCI/IA standards (as appropriate) apply. Upon UPT graduation FCII standards apply." I'm assuming this means that at MFS I must still test out within the FC1 standards, correct? In that case what happens if I happen to have a change in my vision that puts me outside the waiverable standard for my refractive error? Would I be S.O.L.?

FWIW I don't believe this will happen as I had a bit of wiggle room in my vision (-2.75 in left eye and -2.25 in right) but the added wait with my OTS delay and the fact that it could be well over a year from the day I tested for my physical till when I might get to MFS has me a bit paranoid.

In addition is there any way for a civilian OTS select to get to MFS before OTS, or is that reserved for the active duty selects?

Thanks for the replies. I found the information I was looking for, but did develop a couple of more questions, specifically regarding the following statement in paragraph 3.1.3.4. that reads, "Note: While attending UPT/UNT training FCI/IA standards (as appropriate) apply. Upon UPT graduation FCII standards apply." I'm assuming this means that at MFS I must still test out within the FC1 standards, correct? In that case what happens if I happen to have a change in my vision that puts me outside the waiverable standard for my refractive error? Would I be S.O.L.?

FWIW I don't believe this will happen as I had a bit of wiggle room in my vision (-2.75 in left eye and -2.25 in right) but the added wait with my OTS delay and the fact that it could be well over a year from the day I tested for my physical till when I might get to MFS has me a bit paranoid.

In addition is there any way for a civilian OTS select to get to MFS before OTS, or is that reserved for the active duty selects?

you're first assessment is correct--you must maintain fc1 standards (specifically vision) for a few more years. No way to know of you'll need a waiver or qualify for waiver until that time. Recommend you not stress it.

Second question, no clue. Ask your recruiter.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

There's an interesting article in "FlightLines" on page 8 about medical waivers at the MAJCOM level. Seems strongly reminiscent of a case discussed on this forum (or maybe in a PM to me--I don't remember). Does a decent job explaining the thought processes behind waiver approval/denial and waiver criteria.

Also the pictures on page 7 are a great illustration of the MDG's level of hatred for HSI (our largest inspection). The pictures are not exaggerated. That's literally an average level of the paper generated for the inspection at every AFB.

http://www.sousaffs.org/FLarchives/FL-2014Winter.pdf

• 5 months later...

RPA needs a FCIIU clearance, not a FCI.

Standards/limits for no waiver are:

Must be correctable to 20/20

Any Meridian +5.50 to -5.50

Astigmatism 3.00

Anisometropia 3.50

Waiver is very possible for anything beyond that standard, assuming you're not straight-up blind, but of course processing the clearance takes longer.