Vision waiver info

aspec

Thanks for the input. I went through MEPS and scored 20/100 in both eyes, I also passed the depth perception test down to line D. I know i had better vision than that score. I recently went to my optometrist and she told me I have 20/50L or and 20/100R she also gave me a depth perception test as well which went fine. My merdian was -1.50L and -1.25R with no astigmatism. If you fail the test at WP (formerly Brooks) can you go to a local doctor down the street and retest, and will they accept the results. I have heard of this being done for the depth perception test.

Thanks for the input. I went through MEPS and scored 20/100 in both eyes, I also passed the depth perception test down to line D. I know i had better vision than that score. I recently went to my optometrist and she told me I have 20/50L or and 20/100R she also gave me a depth perception test as well which went fine. My merdian was -1.50L and -1.25R with no astigmatism. If you fail the test at WP (formerly Brooks) can you go to a local doctor down the street and retest, and will they accept the results. I have heard of this being done for the depth perception test.

I passed brooks with 20/100 in my right and 20/70 in my left. When i go see a civilian doc they tell me im about 20/70 in my right and 20/50. If i remember correctly my meridian was around the same may be wrong tho. I was prior enlisted and at MEPS i failed my depth perception test and my vision was like 20/70 at the time( was like 7 years ago so I am not sure) It didn't seem like they looked at any of my prior medical records when going through brooks so don't worry about it.

GL

Chump

+ they gave me a waiver for my eyes

Guest goducks

I have 20/100 vision in my left eye and 20/50 in my right eye. Do they measure combined vision or do they use the acuity in your worst eye? I've read the AFI and tried to search on the forums for an answer but have found information. Could anyone who has been through their initial FC1 provide some feedback.

The acuity in the worst eye is used.

Based on the numbers you're posting, you're fine. Acuity is waiverable up to 20/200 and refractive error up to -3.00. If you are within those numbers, you will be waivered. As far as getting retested by a civilian...it really doesn't mean much to the AF. Not saying you can't, but most of the time the AF will go by what is measured/reported at Brooks---> Wright Patt.

• 3 months later...

Acuity is waiverable up to 20/200 and refractive error up to -3.00. If you are within those numbers, you will be waivered.

By "will," does that mean nearly 100%? Just had my grad physical at USAFA today and my right eye visual acuity was 20/200 and Left was 20/50. The flight doc said that AETC "usually" gives them, so i was just curious if i have a good shot at bein waivered. now we play the military's best game, hurry up and wait

Guest goducks

By "will," does that mean nearly 100%? Just had my grad physical at USAFA today and my right eye visual acuity was 20/200 and Left was 20/50. The flight doc said that AETC "usually" gives them, so i was just curious if i have a good shot at bein waivered. now we play the military's best game, hurry up and wait

It is my impression that if you qualify for a waiver you will get one. I don't know the stats, but in your case I would be thinking 95% vs. 99% vs. 100%.

Edited by goducks

• 3 months later...
Guest Jazzsax86

I am going the OTS route to try for a commission to UPT. If I am currect, the current uncorrected vision requirement is 20/70, correctable to 20/20.

For the past 5-6 years, my eyes have been stable at 20/80 correctable to 20/15. My question is in regards to if that is waiverable. I am pretty close to being able to read the 20/70 line but don't know how that might play out on my actual exam. I've looked at several charts that show different diopter/astigmatism limits (which I am within) but it's just that uncorrected 20/80 that's worrying me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Ok I have a few questions here so bare with me. First, I went through the AF waiver guide and confirmed what I thought might be the case: that I will need a vision waiver for refractive error. Which is unfortunate, but what I thought would be the case after I was told I was 20/100 by my eye doctor and saw the new prescription note she handed me.

I'm planning on going the OTS route, and since I know that I will need a vision waiver, do I need to tell the recruiter that? Or do I just go through the whole process (assuming I get picked up for a pilot slot) knowing that I will eventually fail the vision test and have to get the waiver at that point? From what I'm gathering from this thread, this waiver is not one that you need to get before submitting an OTS application, correct?

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy do,

Anybody on here have any experience with Pterygium (conjunctiva)? I found the following: "5.3.5.1.3. Pterygium which encroaches on the cornea more than 3mm or interferes with vision, or is progressive, or causes refractive problems." But that's about it.

I'll be seeing an civilian eye doc (Retired Military) in a month but was hoping for any information or experiences. I've got perfect vision but just got hired and have been looking for ANYTHING that may give me problems with the physical. Wish I could give more info but the extent of diagnosis has been me looking in the bathroom mirror and recognizing, "This is not like that." If this is Pterygium it would be on the very mild side that I have seen.

Thanks Everybody,

I run barter town

Hi All,

New to the forum so bear with me please. I'll keep it short and simple.

Here's the deal, I'm working on becoming a pilot(leaning more towards AF), I'll be starting AFROTC in a year when I go into my junior year of college, I have a good GPA, 20 years old, no criminal past, etc. I have it all mapped out basically. However my eyesight is horrible, to say the least. My Rx is -8.25 in right eye and -7.25 in the left one (around 20/800 in both). Two weeks ago I scheduled a consultation with a laser eye center to find out if I was a candidate for LASIK or PRK, turns out I am and all is good. But..Long story short: Pre-Op refractive error limit is what's keeping me up at night. My question to you all is: Do I have ANY chance of getting a waiver given my refractive error? Are these limits written in stone or is there any leeway for someone who is right on the limit or slightly past it?

I'll be getting my cycloplegic refraction exam done this Tuesday by the way.

Anyway I'd greatly appreciate it if you guys could shed some light on my situation so I can hopefully start eating again haha. Thanks guys.

Guest goducks

Hi All,

New to the forum so bear with me please. I'll keep it short and simple.

Here's the deal, I'm working on becoming a pilot(leaning more towards AF), I'll be starting AFROTC in a year when I go into my junior year of college, I have a good GPA, 20 years old, no criminal past, etc. I have it all mapped out basically. However my eyesight is horrible, to say the least. My Rx is -8.25 in right eye and -7.25 in the left one (around 20/800 in both). Two weeks ago I scheduled a consultation with a laser eye center to find out if I was a candidate for LASIK or PRK, turns out I am and all is good. But..Long story short: Pre-Op refractive error limit is what's keeping me up at night. My question to you all is: Do I have ANY chance of getting a waiver given my refractive error? Are these limits written in stone or is there any leeway for someone who is right on the limit or slightly past it?

I'll be getting my cycloplegic refraction exam done this Tuesday by the way.

Anyway I'd greatly appreciate it if you guys could shed some light on my situation so I can hopefully start eating again haha. Thanks guys.

The -8.00 is pretty solid, although I've seen it waived for a UAV applicant. Good news is that if your Rx is -8.25 your cyclo should be -8.00 or less.

Thanks goducks. So say I'm barely within limits after my cyclo, will I still have a shot at getting a pilot slot?

You have NO shot unless you try. Your odds are 50/50.

You're either in limits or not.

Guest goducks

Thanks goducks. So say I'm barely within limits after my cyclo, will I still have a shot at getting a pilot slot?

Doesn't matter if you're near the limit, at the limit or well below the limit. The waiver is based upon having a good outcome from the refractive surgery.

Thanks for the info everyone. Here's a bit of an update..

I had my cycloplegic exam done about 4 days ago, and these are the results-

RIGHT: -7.00 sphere, -1.50 clinder. Axis= 178

LEFT: -8.00 sphere, -0.25 cylinder. Axis= 050

On a side note, I'm turning 21 later this month so perhaps my myopia is beginning to stabilize if it hasn't already. I went to my eye doctor and checked on my prescription from June 2008 and it has only worsened by -0.50 at the most. I'm no expert but this seems like good news to me.

Many thanks and have a great Labor Day weekend everyone.

Guest goducks

Thanks for the info everyone. Here's a bit of an update..

I had my cycloplegic exam done about 4 days ago, and these are the results-

RIGHT: -7.00 sphere, -1.50 clinder. Axis= 178

LEFT: -8.00 sphere, -0.25 cylinder. Axis= 050

On a side note, I'm turning 21 later this month so perhaps my myopia is beginning to stabilize if it hasn't already. I went to my eye doctor and checked on my prescription from June 2008 and it has only worsened by -0.50 at the most. I'm no expert but this seems like good news to me.

Many thanks and have a great Labor Day weekend everyone.

Pablo,

Unfortunately, your eyes exceed the maximum pre-op refractive error. Your right eye is -8.50 (-7.00 plus the -1.50). Similarly, your left eye is -8.25. Both exceed the limit of -8.00.

Sorry to bear bad news.

• 5 months later...

I was wondering if someone could answer a simple question that I have had problems finding the answer to browsing the forum.

I'm currently 26 and my perscription for nearsightedness is about -1.25/-1.5 and I correct to 20/15 with glasses.

I don't have enough time to wait a year for PRK before applying, otherwise I will be too old to apply.

Is this game over for me for pilot? I am OK with applying as CSO and then trying to get PRK and tracking into pilot (however unlikely those odds are) but is visual acuity of ~20/100 automatically disqualifying with no chance of waiver?

I was wondering if someone could answer a simple question that I have had problems finding the answer to browsing the forum.

I'm currently 26 and my perscription for nearsightedness is about -1.25/-1.5 and I correct to 20/15 with glasses.

I don't have enough time to wait a year for PRK before applying, otherwise I will be too old to apply.

Is this game over for me for pilot? I am OK with applying as CSO and then trying to get PRK and tracking into pilot (however unlikely those odds are) but is visual acuity of ~20/100 automatically disqualifying with no chance of waiver?

To save the mods the effort of saying UTFSF:

Thanks for the link. The second paragraph was what i was missing searching for info

"Second, these are the Standards. What they will waiver (which is probably what you want to know) is inappropriate for me to post. You need to ask them."

Reading between the lines, I am thinking that I should keep charging and let the medical worries go as I will not know if I am disqualified until a flight surgeon tells me, "we can't/won't waive this standard".

That and CSO seems like a cool job in and of itself.

Is this attitude off base?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I just got back from MFS yesterday and was DQ'd for my IFC IIU physical with a waiver being routed. It was for excessive astigmatism, passed all other tests and had to run through the gauntlet of eye tests to gather data for the waiver to show that my eyes are not going to get worse, etc. The max is 3.00 for astigmatism for a class IIU and I have 3.75 and 3.50. Hoping for a quick turn around as I am going to IFS next month, but the people at ACS said that if they thought I was not going to get a waiver approved they would have called AFPC to hold my training until my medical was resolved and they would have kept me at MFS, but they released me with my form 600 and in the comments section it says I was DQ'd but corrective lenses required while performing RPA duties...Has anyone seen excessive astigmatism waived?

EDIT: I read through the Air Force Waiver Guide which was updated on 27 Apr 2012 and based on the information in the guide, there should be no reason why a waiver should not be approved based on the numbers and the optometrist's recommendation from ACS. Here is the updated waiver guide...http://airforcemedic.../ctb_071808.pdf

Edited by tkc10chief

Hi all,

can someone clearly explain how the AD vision waiver process would work from the moment you got your CC's signature to the date you apply for your FC1 medical? I've been reading alot of conflicting info as the usaf-crs program has changed the rules at least 4 times in the last 5 years.

thanks!

--SAM

See the other posts in the forum and this link: http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/idc/groups/public/documents/webcontent/knowledgejunction.hcst?functionalarea=RS_USAF&doctype=subpage&docname=CTB_070655

Review the waiver guide linked in my signature.

Basically, every individual case is a unique process. Nothing can be lumped into one simple explanation. Read the RS site. It will answer 99% of your questions.

Initial FCIIU DQ'ed April 26, 2012 at MFS for excessive astigmatism. Waiver sent up 30 April, approved 7 May with an expiration of 2015. So a waiver will need to be redone every 3 years during that annual optometry exam (I'm guessing it will be a more in depth exam every 3 years to renew the waiver).

Edited by tkc10chief

• 4 weeks later...

I Just recently got off the phone with the APM in Wright-Patterson regarding the 12-month post-refractive surgery vision requirement for any refractive surgery proceeding for an initial FC1 medical. The air force's stance on this requirement is "EXTREMELY" strict on the12 months. She told me the chances of me getting an age waiver is higher than getting the 12-month post CRS requirement waived (wavied as in able to apply for the FC1 before the 12-months is met) for an initial FC1.

Now, that being said doesn't mean you can't try to get a waiver from the MAJCOM/SG but don't count it. For any of you prk/lasik hopefuls want to get that FC1, good luck.

Edited by 13BSAM