Vision waiver info

aspec

6 hours ago, RC87 said:

So I received more bad news today. I submitted the appeal to MEPS where it was again denied, and was told the information made it worse versus better. My biggest worry is they had trouble determining the MEPS eval over the erroneous information. Working to find what it was they thought was "worse". Everything I submitted shows I am within the .50 diopter range needed for a PRK waiver and 20/20 in both eyes confirmed by 3 separate doctors. Should the erroneous information be pulled from the appeal completely? Next up is the Guard Bureau.

If everything you have posted is correct, you must be dealing with someone who doesn't know the policy.  If you care to scan and PM me the actual doctor's notes I can confirm this, although beyond telling you whether you're being screwed or not I don't know what else I can do to help.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/2/2015 at 4:48 PM, deaddebate said:

That's the old standard.  Here's the current:

OEux5JK.jpg

And here's the waiver criteria, if you exceed the levels above:

Cl1G5ui.jpg

Deaddebate- I hate asking this, but where can I find the current standards posted above? I Keep coming across the old standards that are listed in AFI48-123 6.44.7 (pg 90). Also, where can I find the waiver standards above? I only find DOD 6130-3 Section 5 Pg 14 for standards; not waivers.  I want to physically locate these standards/ waivers, so I can provide documentation to a recruiter when they say I exceed standards. Thank you once again.

42 minutes ago, Hopefulflyer389 said:

Deaddebate- I hate asking this, but where can I find the current standards posted above? I Keep coming across the old standards that are listed in AFI48-123 6.44.7 (pg 90). Also, where can I find the waiver standards above? I only find DOD 6130-3 Section 5 Pg 14 for standards; not waivers.  I want to physically locate these standards/ waivers, so I can provide documentation to a recruiter when they say I exceed standards. Thank you once again.

Waiver guide is here: http://www.wpafb.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-160413-020.pdf

I cannot find a non-CAC MSD (Medical Standards Directory).  If you have CAC access, it's on the Knowledge Exchange.  Most recent one is dated 02 Feb 2016.  AFI 48-123 is no longer used for physical standards.  I can tell you the only thing that has changed is that the standard for myopia for IFC I and IFC IA has become the old waiver limit and there are no longer waivers for myopia.  This was a mere formality to reduce the number of waivers that were nothing more than an exercise in typing.  It did not change who could get in and who could not.  I may be able to upload a copy of the MSD, but I'd rather ask a few people if that would be appropriate before doing so.

Edited by stuckindayton
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

I can tell you the only thing that has changed is that the standard for myopia for IFC I and IFC IA has become the old waiver limit and there are no longer waivers for myopia.  This was a mere formality to reduce the number of waivers that were nothing more than an exercise in typing.  It did not change who could get in and who could not. 

Thank you stuckindayton. I apologize for my ignorance, but can you further explain the no myopia waiver portion? Are you you saying that the standard to be waived is no longer -3.00 or they just changed it so you won't need a waiver and you will be DQed if you exceed -3.00?

5 hours ago, Hopefulflyer389 said:

Thank you stuckindayton. I apologize for my ignorance, but can you further explain the no myopia waiver portion? Are you you saying that the standard to be waived is no longer -3.00 or they just changed it so you won't need a waiver and you will be DQed if you exceed -3.00?

The standard used to be -1.50 and they used to waive up to -3.00.  The waiver was a mere formality.  They were granted 100% of the time.  It just added additional administrative burden.  So, the standard is now -3.00 and they don't waive above that.  So, yes, if you are above -3.00 I would expect a DQ.

17 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

I can tell you the only thing that has changed is that the standard for myopia for IFC I and IFC IA has become the old waiver limit and there are no longer waivers for myopia.  This was a mere formality to reduce the number of waivers that were nothing more than an exercise in typing.  It did not change who could get in and who could not. 

Thank you stuckindayton. Pardon my ignorance, but can you elaborate on the no waiver for myopia portion. 

3 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

The standard used to be -1.50 and they used to waive up to -3.00.  The waiver was a mere formality.  They were granted 100% of the time.  It just added additional administrative burden.  So, the standard is now -3.00 and they don't waive above that.  So, yes, if you are above -3.00 I would expect a DQ.

Thank you for clarifying and pointing me in the right direction for the solid evidence. Will need the hard evidence as I'm on the bubble with -2.75. 

6 hours ago, Hopefulflyer389 said:

Thank you stuckindayton. Pardon my ignorance, but can you elaborate on the no waiver for myopia portion. 

Thank you for clarifying and pointing me in the right direction for the solid evidence. Will need the hard evidence as I'm on the bubble with -2.75. 

If your prescription for glasses/contacts is -2.75, you're fine.  That includes the astigmatism as well?  I'm attaching Table One of the MSD  that  covers refractive error.  The most myopic meridian of your Rx cannot exceed -3.00, however, we only refract to 20/20 (not to best vision) and we do it under dilated conditions which relaxes the accommodative system and brings your Rx down.

If you have any questions, post your latest refraction and I can comment more specifically. 

MSD Table 1.pptx

• 3 months later...

I'm a AFROTC cadet that just graduated FT and am due to graduate in summer 2018 with the pilot rated board in FEB 17.

My prescription for glasses is: OD: -1.75 and OS:-1.25 aka 20/70 and 20/100

I'm simply nearsighted and have no other vision issues. Am I eligible for a waiver and if so does that mean I do NOT have to get surgery? I realize if I tried to get surgery before the rated board it would be very tight with contracted cadets needing the 3 month post-op exam before the board. Does the waiver entail that I can go to UPT with glasses or contacts and will never need to get surgery? My eyes are stable.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 5:01 PM, artemis1122 said:

I'm a AFROTC cadet that just graduated FT and am due to graduate in summer 2018 with the pilot rated board in FEB 17.

My prescription for glasses is: OD: -1.75 and OS:-1.25 aka 20/70 and 20/100

I'm simply nearsighted and have no other vision issues. Am I eligible for a waiver and if so does that mean I do NOT have to get surgery? I realize if I tried to get surgery before the rated board it would be very tight with contracted cadets needing the 3 month post-op exam before the board. Does the waiver entail that I can go to UPT with glasses or contacts and will never need to get surgery? My eyes are stable.

You won't need a waiver, you meet the standard.  See my comment above dated May 12th.  The standard is now -3.00 and we've dropped any requirements for uncorrected acuity.  There is no requirement to get refractive surgery.  Just wear glasses or contacts if that is your preference.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this topic has beaten to death but my vision is currently L 2.50 R -2.25 cyl in the right -0.25, all correctable to 20/20. This is from two years ago, so I'm due for a new checkup soon. 

Should I just get LASIK, or apply for a waiver?

On 11/1/2016 at 1:27 PM, Voodoo200 said:

I know this topic has beaten to death but my vision is currently L 2.50 R -2.25 cyl in the right -0.25, all correctable to 20/20. This is from two years ago, so I'm due for a new checkup soon. 

Should I just get LASIK, or apply for a waiver?

I'm not clear on your refraction.  I'm assuming you are saying Left: -2.50 Sph, R: -2.25-0.25x???  If nothing has changed you meet standards.  You can always get LASIK if you want, but it would be for elective purposes.

I have read through several threads now. So to clarify, the 20/### acuity does not DQ you. The -3.00 standard is what matters? My prescription is -2.25 in both. I was told at my last exam that I was about 20/125 uncorrected. But I have printed Snellen charts at home and 20/200 is blurry when I test myself that way. 

8 hours ago, RunningMan said:

I have read through several threads now. So to clarify, the 20/### acuity does not DQ you. The -3.00 standard is what matters? My prescription is -2.25 in both. I was told at my last exam that I was about 20/125 uncorrected. But I have printed Snellen charts at home and 20/200 is blurry when I test myself that way. 

Your understanding is correct.  It doesn't matter if you are 20/125 or 20/200 uncorrected as long as your refraction is not worse than -3.00.  It sounds like you are sitting pretty.

57 minutes ago, stuckindayton said:

Your understanding is correct.  It doesn't matter if you are 20/125 or 20/200 uncorrected as long as your refraction is not worse than -3.00.  It sounds like you are sitting pretty.

Thank you for the clarification! I assume that would still apply if you had an acuity of 20/225 but a refraction of -2.25?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was just disqualified at Wright Patt for my FC1 for having keratoconus. I understand this is a hard "no" presently at this time, but so was Lasik a few years ago. On the outside I am a commercial pilot with a Class 2 physical and I know there are captains for major airlines with this condition who have either had a corrective surgery or continued without it. My vision is well within standards. 

My question is this...is there research or a case study being conducted on corrective procedures for waiver approval for this condition? Is there anything I can do from my end to contribute in convincing doctors this is a waiverable condition when you have had a corrective procedure? I am looking into a cross-link surgery that is known as Holcomb C3-R  by the man that invented it himself Dr. Bran Boxer Wachler.

1 hour ago, QMar92 said:

I was just disqualified at Wright Patt for my FC1 for having keratoconus. I understand this is a hard "no" presently at this time, but so was Lasik a few years ago. On the outside I am a commercial pilot with a Class 2 physical and I know there are captains for major airlines with this condition who have either had a corrective surgery or continued without it. My vision is well within standards. 

My question is this...is there research or a case study being conducted on corrective procedures for waiver approval for this condition? Is there anything I can do from my end to contribute in convincing doctors this is a waiverable condition when you have had a corrective procedure? I am looking into a cross-link surgery that is known as Holcomb C3-R  by the man that invented it himself Dr. Bran Boxer Wachler.

QMar,

First off, I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune.

The problem with keratoconus (KCN) and flying for the Air Force is that the AF invests a lot of money to train pilots and anyone with a progressive eye condition runs the risk of not being able to maintain vision within standards for the expected flying career (10 years after UPT).  As you accurately stated, policies change with time and as collagen crosslinking becomes more common in the US (it's only been FDA approved for a couple of years) there is a possibility that policy regarding crosslinking will change.  However, the AF still doesn't even commission people with KCN much less put them into UPT.  They are looking at a policy to allow commissioning with KCN if treated with crosslinking and with a period (maybe a year) of demonstrated stability.  So, if it ever gets to a point of allowing entry into UPT with KCN and crosslinking it's probably going to be quite a ways down the road.  PM me if you want more specific information on your case.

• 2 years later...

When I was at WP, the policy was that the 20/50 was just used as a benchmark when there was a question about complications after PRK.  A person wasn't DQ'd simply because they weren't 20/50.  It was to gauge whether a complication (usually scarring after PRK) needed to be addressed.  Having said that, the most common reason people aren't 20/50 is that they still have a little residual prescription after PRK/LASIK and the test gets rerun with the correction in place.  If you can demonstrate you are capable of 20/50 with correction, that is all that is required.  That doesn't drive the requirement to wear correction while flying.  That is solely based on the 20/20 and depth perception requirement.  The 20/50 is a little bit of a legacy holdover from when PRK had a lot more complication than we see today.

Did you also say that you failed depth perception?  Is it possible you have a bit of a lazy eye?  That would explain both the depth and reduced contrast sensitivity.  Perhaps I'm reaching. 

21 minutes ago, Desk Jobs Suck said:

Thanks for responding! Yeah I failed DP for some reason, but did fine at MEPS. Not quite sure what the problem is right now. I read my chart and it read esophoria 9. Never had problems in life with strabismus or phorias but looks like I might have a minor phoria. Trying to go into ophthalmology tomorrow armed with as much info as possible.

9 esophoria is quite a bit.  Did you have hyperopic (far-sighted) PRK by chance?  It seems unlikely as 99.8% of PRK is for myopia, but esophoria goes hand in hand with hyperopia.  Either way, the esophoria could certainly be associated with reduced depth perception (technically stereopsis if you to be technically correct).

19 minutes ago, Desk Jobs Suck said:

I'm not sure if I'm interpreting the results correctly. When I put my head into the machine and saw the lines line up, I said the lines line up at #9. Does this change anything?

Yes, that's not 9 esophoria.  I forget the conversion, but that number means nothing without converting it.  The techs always converted for us so I don't really know what the raw score mean.  If you haven't seen one of the docs yet, just hang tight.  People failed things all the time and we often could get them through with a little better instruction, etc.

• Upvote 1