Fighter Unit Question

Good afternoon,

I'm interested in flying for the 177th NJ ANG or Homestead ARB in South Florida. Between the two, would anyone know if I would generally have a better shot of being selected by Homestead ARB since it is a reserve base? Anyone have any information regarding these two units and what they usually look for in a pilot candidate?

Info about myself

Prior enlisted

Senior in College

GPA 3.3

Instrument Rated

No AFOQT scores yet

No TBAS scores yet

Edited by AirLift56

Well looks like no one's saying much so I'll help you out with what I know; Frankly, the "likely hood" of you being selected at one unit or another has a lot to do with what that particular unit's situation is and how good of a fit you are. For example, I know some of the guys at Homestead and they are more concerned with what you are going to be able to do for a day job than other units are. This is because they've had some issues in the past with guys getting through training and not being able to find work. Alabama on the other hand is more concerned with physical fitness than other units because they've actually had someone fail fitness requirements before they were able to make it to flight training. So and and so forth. I'm not sure about Jersey.

In general (so I've heard), the Reserves are hurting for guys right not so you can always try to apply unsponsored if you want to get going but none of the reserve units you want to fly for are hiring at the moment. Careful though cuz you could end up not getting a sponsor for a while and end up flying who knows what and who knows where.

Last time I checked, Homestead wasn't holding a board any time soon, but either way what you really need to do is start getting to know the units that your'e interested in, and what they're looking for. Visit during a drill if you can afford to.

Definitely get those tests done and do as well on them as you can, especially since your GPA looks a tad low; not bad but not good ya know.

Edited by xcraftllc

Does Homestead have an alert or is that Jax? Someone on here said that his friend was working at Home Depot because be couldn't find a job. Reserves are good for airline work and that's about it.

How does making the jump to guard work if you are already flying active duty for the AF? I'm currently a bomber guy but the units close to my family are Viper units. Is it possible to make that kind of jump? I'm a younger guy thinking of going back as a 38 instructor until I could possibly PC.

The alert is a set of Jax F-15s

Is there anywhere you can find information on which units run alert?

If it is even possible, it is not probable. With the mass exodus from active duty, guard units have their pick of guys leaving. Non-current guys face a bit of an uphill battle finding a unit that'll put them through a re-qual, let alone guys who have never been qualified. The last few hiring boards I've heard of have had around 10 applicants for a single job and many of those guys were current in the jet.

If I were you and looking to make the jump to the guard, I'd look at every heavy or UPT type unit within a reasonable commute.

• Downvote 1

How does making the jump to guard work if you are already flying active duty for the AF? I'm currently a bomber guy but the units close to my family are Viper units. Is it possible to make that kind of jump? I'm a younger guy thinking of going back as a 38 instructor until I could possibly PC.

I have seen a B-1 guy do it, but that was in the -09/10 timeframe when nobody could get out and he could. I'd say buy a lottery ticket, sorry, but that might have better odds.

Is there anywhere you can find information on which units run alert?

Not a good idea.

Edit: sorry about my crappy edit, on iPad

Edited by matmacwc

Good afternoon,

I'm interested in flying for the 177th NJ ANG or Homestead ARB in South Florida. Between the two, would anyone know if I would generally have a better shot of being selected by Homestead ARB since it is a reserve base? Anyone have any information regarding these two units and what they usually look for in a pilot candidate?

Info about myself

Prior enlisted

Senior in College

GPA 3.3

Instrument Rated

No AFOQT scores yet

No TBAS scores yet

there's a section for questions about your package, so to speak: http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/forum/8-what-are-my-chances/

177th will have a board early next year. they will want you to be done school and not needing an age waiver. get good scores, you may get an interview.

482nd hasn't had a board for a minute, may have one soon.

A NJANG pilot told me this weekend they have a hard time finding guys because nobody wants to live in Atlantic City. Convince them you'll move up there and maybe that'll help your chances.

not sure why they would have said that. there are tons of people who apply for the UPT boards and quite a few who come from the acive duty. i commute there from philadelphia which is a great place to live. not far from DC/NYC etc.

Edited by 12xu2a3x3

I'm TFI at the Makos as well. I know they are currently seeking experienced flight leads/IPs and that they currently have a couple of Lts in the pipeline. I'm not sure when they will have a board. PM me your info and I can try to find out.

Cheers