How Do They Look At Your GPA for Selection?

How do they look at your college GPA when it comes to making a selection. Do they simply look at your overall GPA and that's it or do they analyze each individual class when they receive your transcript? Right now my GPA is only 2.87 mostly do to the fact in my Gen Ed classes I have gotten straight B's and two C's (In Music and Public Speaking). Would they see these grades and would it effect them> However, I think I can pull my GPA up when I take only my Business classes (I'm a business Admin major) because in my first two business classes I got pretty high A's. I have only two gen ed classes left. So If I do well in all of my business courses and my GPA is 3.5 or better would that be all that matters? I'm guess I am asking because I find my gen ed classes harder than my major courses, especially that Music course which was probably the hardest class I have ever taken.

Generally, they only score the overall GPA from the degree-granting school. In some cases they may look at course completion, particularly for tech degree people, to see what specific courses you have completed to make you eligible for certain career fields (number of calculus courses, etc.).

Dude, 2.87 GPA is pretty darn low...you are looking like a football scholarship type applicant with that on your record. Not saying it's the end of the world, but man you are making it a harder road than it needs to be. Quit messing around...anyone can get a 3.0 + in college...ESPECIALLY if you are business major..jeez man...make it a priority over beer and video games and maybe you can fly jets for cash like the rest of us...or put it off...up to you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Dude, 2.87 GPA is pretty darn low...you are looking like a football scholarship type applicant with that on your record. Not saying it's the end of the world, but man you are making it a harder road than it needs to be. Quit messing around...anyone can get a 3.0 + in college...ESPECIALLY if you are business major..jeez man...make it a priority over beer and video games and maybe you can fly jets for cash like the rest of us...or put it off...up to you.

Shack.

And business admin is a cakewalk bro no reason you shouldn't be in the 3.0 club on gen Ed classes and still be able to keg stand with the best of em.

Well so far I've only taken 2 actually business classes (I'm taking my 3rd right now) and I got A's in both of them (91 in Intro to Business and 95 in Intro to Entrepreneurship). I just found classes such as english, music (needed it for an art credit) and public speaking hard. When it came to music I still couldn't understand whether a song was homophonic, monophonic, extraphonic (I made that one up). Basically you had to listen to a classical song, identify if it was one of those things and write a paper on why you think it is this phonic. If you get it wrong, 50% off. I ended up with a C.

Then I found public speaking hard, I just wasn't good at giving speeches got a low b. I find the Gen eds stressful, even with going to the student help center on campus.

Believe Im not a big gamer or drinker. I basicily go to school, work 20 hours a week and take care of my 80 year old grand mother. I'm not privileged like most kids my age.

Well so far I've only taken 2 actually business classes (I'm taking my 3rd right now) and I got A's in both of them (91 in Intro to Business and 95 in Intro to Entrepreneurship). I just found classes such as english, music (needed it for an art credit) and public speaking hard. When it came to music I still couldn't understand whether a song was homophonic, monophonic, extraphonic (I made that one up). Basically you had to listen to a classical song, identify if it was one of those things and write a paper on why you think it is this phonic. If you get it wrong, 50% off. I ended up with a C.

Then I found public speaking hard, I just wasn't good at giving speeches got a low b. I find the Gen eds stressful, even with going to the student help center on campus.

Believe Im not a big gamer or drinker. I basicily go to school, work 20 hours a week and take care of my 80 year old grand mother. I'm not privileged like most kids my age.

Maybe you need to drink more? If you find gen eds hard and public speaking hard how are you going to do in UPT doing EP standups?

• Upvote 1

Maybe you need to drink more? If you find gen eds hard and public speaking hard how are you going to do in UPT doing EP standups?

Well I don't find actual public speaking hard. I find college public speaking hard. I'm perfectly ok with talking in front of a group of people. I did it in CAP in high school and I did playing roller hockey in front of my team. But in college you have to put a lot of emotion into your speaking (if you don't minus 5 points), you have to begin with good intros (if the professor didn't like it again minus 5 points) and you have to give speeches on the topics the professor decides on which were usually progressive view points. Our final had to be on whether or not we believe in hate crimes. Me being the only half Hispanic in a class full of 100% white people that I don't believe in the government definition of a hate crime. The idea that when a white guy hits a black guy (even if he is defending himself) is considered racist I think is BS. My Hispanic mom is from the ghettos of North Jersey. She seen all the crap the Hispanic gangs do to each other. Its not only white people that hate other races, Puerto Ricans hate Dominicans, Dominicans hate Cubans, who hate Peruvians, etc. Which is why after high school she moved to South Jersey and married my Irish/Italian father. (Irish and Italians commit crime in a far more organized manor lol).

I included all of this in my speech and still got a C on it! The professor (who's 100% white) even wrote on my script that my view points seemed a little racist.. So instead of getting an A I got a low B for my overall grade. (I checked just now its actually a B not a C for my overall grade). It was computer applications that I got the other C. (Which was my fault since I didn't take it seriously and skipped a few times to work extra hours to buy my car).

Please tell me UPT isn't like that.

Edited by 86CamaroIROCZ28

Holy f@cking quibbling! Shut that shit up dude, no one cares about the details of why you can't do well in easy classes. Figure it out and do better.

Honestly, if you can't apply yourself enough to get a 3.0 in an easy college program, you're either too dumb or too lazy for pilot training. I'm no genius but I graduated with honors with a Mechanical Engineering degree because I worked my ass of when I had to. I also drank every weekend with the bros. Figure it out.

• Upvote 3

It's exactly like that. Do everything the way the instructors want you to or you are wrong.

But that's what frustrates me the most about the public speaking class! I did exactly what the professor said. He said write and give a speech about whether you believe in hate crimes or not. It was choice. Yet I didn't and I was considered wrong, though it was an opinion based assignment.

I guess I just have trouble getting use to how PC college is.

Holy f@cking quibbling! Shut that shit up dude, no one cares about the details of why you can't do well in easy classes. Figure it out and do better.

Honestly, if you can't apply yourself enough to get a 3.0 in an easy college program, you're either too dumb or too lazy for pilot training. I'm no genius but I graduated with honors with a Mechanical Engineering degree because I worked my ass of when I had to. I also drank every weekend with the bros. Figure it out.

I'm doing well in my business classes (I have A's in them so far) and I find the Business Communications class I'm taking easy. I know I can get all A's in my business classes. I simply just wanted to know if those B's and C's in my Gen Eds would matter in the future when a guard or reserve unit looks at my transcript. The two A's I got recently pulled my GPA up. I know I can do well do well in these business classes and get all A's.

Sorry if I'm sounding so rude or whinny. I'm guess I'm frustrated (a lot of family issues going on at home) and I don't think taking it out on random strangers on the internet is going to help. (Especially on strangers who are suppose to help).

• Downvote 1

But that's what frustrates me the most about the public speaking class! I did exactly what the professor said. He said write and give a speech about whether you believe in hate crimes or not. It was choice. Yet I didn't and I was considered wrong, though it was an opinion based assignment.

I guess I just have trouble getting use to how PC college is.

I'm doing well in my business classes (I have A's in them so far) and I find the Business Communications class I'm taking easy. I know I can get all A's in my business classes. I simply just wanted to know if those B's and C's in my Gen Eds would matter in the future when a guard or reserve unit looks at my transcript. The two A's I got recently pulled my GPA up. I know I can do well do well in these business classes and get all A's.

Sorry if I'm sounding so rude or whinny. I'm guess I'm frustrated (a lot of family issues going on at home) and I don't think taking it out on random strangers on the internet is going to help. (Especially on strangers who are suppose to help).

Don't even have words.

• Haha 1

This thread is a flipping train wreck. Nut up, bro. Fix your sh*t... It's not your instructors' fault, it's not "the system's" fault, it's your's. If you can't deal with your personal issues well enough to at least swing a 3.0 in college how do you expect to make it through OTS, UPT and, even more, operational Big Blue?

Learn some personal accountability, rectify your situation and then come back.

(edited for language)

Edited by FishBowl

• 2 months later...

How do they look at your college GPA when it comes to making a selection. Do they simply look at your overall GPA and that's it or do they analyze each individual class when they receive your transcript? Right now my GPA is only 2.87 mostly do to the fact in my Gen Ed classes I have gotten straight B's and two C's (In Music and Public Speaking). Would they see these grades and would it effect them> However, I think I can pull my GPA up when I take only my Business classes (I'm a business Admin major) because in my first two business classes I got pretty high A's. I have only two gen ed classes left. So If I do well in all of my business courses and my GPA is 3.5 or better would that be all that matters? I'm guess I am asking because I find my gen ed classes harder than my major courses, especially that Music course which was probably the hardest class I have ever taken.

In college, you have a choice. You can choose to let the frustration and boredom of having to learn useless information ruin your GPA (and make your life's goals way harder to achieve), OR you can view them as a challenge and a small price to pay for a life time of job satisfaction. 

Music was the hardest class you've ever taken? Come on man. Even the Poli Sci guys are laughing at you. A large portion of this board are engineering majors. I don't give a shit how many styles of classical music you had to memorize - it wasn't as hard as 20 hours of differential equations, thermodynamics, electrical engineering, orbital mechanics, etc. in one semester. No one here is trying to make you feel like a piece of shit; we're just trying to give you perspective. 

Here's some advice for you: Every point matters. You have one chance. Don't fuck this up.

Edited by Seriously

It looks like all the Academy guys have the same advice: fix your shit. I get it, the Academy isn't easy, but all you have to do there is study and work out.

I got a 3.0 freshman year (at a real college), due to music, sociology and English for similar reasons. At the time I blamed the professors, now I know o could have easily done better. I got smart and started picking the easiest professors (when able), working my ass off when not, and studying the syllabi like my life depended on it to know exactly what I was being graded on. If you can't figure out how to determine which professors are the easy ones, you are probably wasting your time on here.

Writing very liberal papers and giving liberal speeches will help too. I ended up with a 3.59, which paired with 469 hours/CFI and a killer AFOQT got me selected on my second attempt. You might need to do better than that, since you're not going to have the hours (the biggest factor in my selection, IMO). Work is important, but school is your priority if you want to fly jets for cash.

This thread is a flipping train wreck. Nut up, bro. Fix your sh*t... It's not your instructors' fault, it's not "the system's" fault, it's your's. If you can't deal with your personal issues well enough to at least swing a 3.0 in college how do you expect to make it through OTS, UPT and, even more, operational Big Blue?

Learn some personal accountability, rectify your situation and then come back.

(edited for language)

Oh, come on. OTS is a piece of cake (95% pass rate), UPT is a marathon, but isn't actually that difficult (>90% pass rate), and Big Blue is easy after surviving UPT. IFS is easy if you have 10 hours of flight experience...nothing in the AF is difficult until you become a Captain and go to SOS...

Oh, come on. OTS is a piece of cake (95% pass rate), UPT is a marathon, but isn't actually that difficult (>90% pass rate), and Big Blue is easy after surviving UPT. IFS is easy if you have 10 hours of flight experience...nothing in the AF is difficult until you become a Captain and go to SOS...

That's kind of the point I was making. Everyone knows OTS is easy, UPT requires long-term dedication (marathon) and operational is just coloring by numbers. It's a matter of showing up and giving a little bit of effort. If this dude (or dudette) can't muster above a C in music and can't hack a 3.0 in business school, I don't know think they would put in the time/effort to study at UPT (barring a gallon of Blue Kool-aide intravenously). College GPAs are indicative of study habits and will not look good to a selection board.

• 8 months later...

What if you didn't have an easy major, say Civil Engineering from the 3rd toughest engineering school in the country.  I was working full time to pay bills and rent. Also, taking care of younger sister because Dad wasn't around and mom was working all the time. Would the GPA still be such a negative aspect if there was extenuating circumstances around it? I have a really bad GPA and am honestly proud of it. There were many times I thought I was not going to make it but I pressed on and got it done. Do I have a wonderful 4.0 hell no. What I do have is a roof over my head, an awesome job now, and my sister is kicking ass in grad school. 

I want more than anything to fly for the AF but it seems they can't get passed my "bad" GPA. Will the ANG or Reserves possibly see that my GPA doesn't represent a kid who didn't try in college and wanted to play video games all day but rather a "kid" who had to grow up much faster than most due to bad circumstances at home and was still able to get an engineering degree. 

Almost anything can be overlooked in the guard if a prospect is a good fit. Be prepared to at least address it without looking like you are just making excuses for poor performance. That will get you kicked out of the bar before you even get a chance.

I don't see the AD OTS selection being quite as forgiving, being as competitive as it has been in the past.

SOS diffi

I hope you're being sarcastic about SOS being difficult.