Oshkosh 2015

HuggyU2

It wasn't necessary, but did make things exciting, especially since I already went around once thanks to ATC buffoonery. I think the dude was just so engrossed in following the procedures and lost SA.

Did he get a deev?

That'd be sort of legal, provided you were 3,000 ft apart on the runway until at taxi speed. But I don't imagine that was the plan.

Did he get a deev?

That'd be sort of legal, provided you were 3,000 ft apart on the runway until at taxi speed. But I don't imagine that was the plan.

I doubt it. I talked to the controllers and they said they rarely violate anybody. As an example, they said an aircraft would have to disregard Tower's instructions to Go-Around and create an unsafe situation.

Also, of note, OSH tower operates under 72 FAA waivers to make the arrivals and departures happen. There's a 29 page document that pilots must review prior to operating into and out of KOSH. I'm not positive, but I think the dots (Orange, Green, White for R-27) are less than 3,000 feet.

It was great to see the BUFF on the West Ramp. They had a never ending stream of folks visiting.

Since the jet they brought was over 50 years old, I hope they were included in the Vintage AND the Warbird judging.

• Upvote 2

b-52homebuilt_barb-240.jpg

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/2015-eaa-airventure-oshkosh/7-21-2015-b-52h-homebuilt-to-receive-special-award

July 22, 2015 - At more than 159-feet long and 40-feet high, it has to be the largest “homebuilt” on display at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh.

The B-52H Stratofortress on Boeing Plaza is getting second looks from people with its signs noting that the “Classic Homebuilt” plane has been flown for more than 14,000 hours in more than 50 years and that it is to be judged in the homebuilt competition.

And it’s been getting a few questions from people, too, about if it is really a homebuilt, says Lt. Ed Rowe of the 343rd Bomb Squadron.

(No, it isn’t.)

Mike Dooley, homebuilt co-chairman, said the whole thing started as a joke.

“The crew came to us and asked for a prop card,” he said. “So the boss decided to register it in the database as a homebuilt… and honor the experimental nature of the first B-52.”

The homebuilt judges looked at the plane on Tuesday morning, posing for photos with the Air Force Reserve crew. Chief Judge Bob Reese said the plane would be receiving a special award from them on Saturday.

“This is a special airplane, and we felt they deserved something special,” he said. “It’s been in continuous service for more than 40 years and served well in Vietnam and other war efforts. Plus, it’s still going.”

Rowe said the plane actually has 19,000 flying hours on it, but they couldn’t find a sign printed with more than 4,000 hours. So someone simply added a “1” before the “4” to make it close, at 14,000 hours.

Homebuilt judge Eric Hansen may be biased in his evaluation of the plane since both he and his father actually flew it while in the military. In fact, father and son also flew the plane with a Chicago Sun-Times reporter in 1979, who took photos and wrote a story was about the need to replace the B-52 because of its age.

“But this thing is good for another 20 or 30 years,” Hansen says. “It really is a great plane.”

11742811_770906876363807_792879228083743

11750688_770906906363804_519663213106791

Edited by rv10

b-52homebuilt_barb-240.jpg

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/2015-eaa-airventure-oshkosh/7-21-2015-b-52h-homebuilt-to-receive-special-award

July 22, 2015 - At more than 159-feet long and 40-feet high, it has to be the largest “homebuilt” on display at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh.

The B-52H Stratofortress on Boeing Plaza is getting second looks from people with its signs noting that the “Classic Homebuilt” plane has been flown for more than 14,000 hours in more than 50 years and that it is to be judged in the homebuilt competition.

And it’s been getting a few questions from people, too, about if it is really a homebuilt, says Lt. Ed Rowe of the 343rd Bomb Squadron.

(No, it isn’t.)

Mike Dooley, homebuilt co-chairman, said the whole thing started as a joke.

“The crew came to us and asked for a prop card,” he said. “So the boss decided to register it in the database as a homebuilt… and honor the experimental nature of the first B-52.”

The homebuilt judges looked at the plane on Tuesday morning, posing for photos with the Air Force Reserve crew. Chief Judge Bob Reese said the plane would be receiving a special award from them on Saturday.

“This is a special airplane, and we felt they deserved something special,” he said. “It’s been in continuous service for more than 40 years and served well in Vietnam and other war efforts. Plus, it’s still going.”

Rowe said the plane actually has 19,000 flying hours on it, but they couldn’t find a sign printed with more than 4,000 hours. So someone simply added a “1” before the “4” to make it close, at 14,000 hours.

Homebuilt judge Eric Hansen may be biased in his evaluation of the plane since both he and his father actually flew it while in the military. In fact, father and son also flew the plane with a Chicago Sun-Times reporter in 1979, who took photos and wrote a story was about the need to replace the B-52 because of its age.

“But this thing is good for another 20 or 30 years,” Hansen says. “It really is a great plane.”

11742811_770906876363807_792879228083743

11750688_770906906363804_519663213106791

Great story, thanks for posting! It is amazing what Boeing engineers did in the day with slides rules.

We've landed at other places that short before, so it didn't take THAT much doing. However, if another f'ing person asked me about KI Sawyer...

Hey whats wrong with K.I. Sawyer ?, It was my favorite base, yea you had to get used the 300"s of snow a year but we were equipped for it unlike anywhere else you get a dusting and the world stops. It sure was a whole lot better than being at Barksdale and Minot. Where else is it a wing down day for the first day of gun season for deer season.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...