New Deid Dorms

392 rooms with 784 NCOs housed in them. Sounds like the same criteria for BPC occupancy will be used.

Translation: aircrew are staying in the CC. As predicted. Fucking shoe clerks.

• Upvote 2

Wow, what an accomplishment. Two more buildings almost exactly the same as the ten that are already there. I can totally see why they need an opening ceremony.

Are the pig farm dorms open yet? I like how those were conveniently located equidistant between the two chow halls.

Wow, what an accomplishment. Two more buildings almost exactly the same as the ten that are already there. I can totally see why they need an opening ceremony.

Are the pig farm dorms open yet? I like how those were conveniently located equidistant between the two chow halls.

No the Manas style dorms aren't open yet. Last I heard was that the TCN's swept the concrete dust down the sewage/water pipes and then when they added water...CONCRETE!

No the Manas style dorms aren't open yet. Last I heard was that the TCN's swept the concrete dust down the sewage/water pipes and then when they added water...CONCRETE!

Wondered what was going on with those things. I met the project manager when I was at the CAOC at the end of 2013. She was saying those would open July 14. Not so much I guess.

######ing shoe clerks.

My thoughts exactly as I read the article. Local legend says that one of the dorms was specifically built to house the RC folks however once it was built the agreement changed and we are forever to stay in the CC. Whatever it's better there anyways...

Dear Senior AF Leader Who Finds Themselves At Al Udeid For a Few Days,

Please decline your DV billet and demand that you be put in a random CC billet. After waking up in the middle of the night to balls of mold pelting your face and throwing out your towel and uniforms, because the mold stink won't come out, give the order to burn the CC to the ground. Having stayed in both, I can honestly say sleeping in a tent less than a hundred yards downwind of the Kandahar pooh pond was preferable. Fermenting sh&t might stink, but it doesn't breed in your lungs.

Sincerely,

BSF

P.S. - They have these things called "dehumidifying air conditioners." I'm not even sure where we came by non-dehumidifying ones. It's a pretty standard feature. If new buildings are a bridge too far, just replace the A/C units as they fail due to mold injestion. You were going to buy a new one anyways.

• Upvote 3

P.S. - They have these things called "dehumidifying air conditioners." I'm not even sure where we came by non-dehumidifying ones. It's a pretty standard feature. If new buildings are a bridge too far, just replace the A/C units as they fail due to mold injestion. You were going to buy a new one anyways.

Huge "Two" on that one. Dehumidifiers come standard at Al Dhafra. I don't know why the Deid is too cheap to put them in all the CC rooms.

Wondered what was going on with those things. I met the project manager when I was at the CAOC at the end of 2013. She was saying those would open July 14. Not so much I guess.

There's a sign outside the construction site that lists the opening as "September 2014". Guess they missed that deadline too.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New "chicken coops" or double stacks were supposed to be opened in Oct.  When they went to test the electricity and A/C units there was a bunch of smoke.  Apparently the amperage was about 50% higher than required.  The contractor wanted to just wire the A/C for off, low and medium and skip high but that offer was politely declined.  New opening date is set sometime in Mar 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't we just stay in private villas off base, with 24 hour security?  Apparently thats what all the cool kids are doing in Afghanistan...

At Bagram, we had 24 hour security, flat screen TVs, and food services.  I don't see what the big deal is.

edit: sarcasm

Edited by fox two

• 3 weeks later...
New "chicken coops" or double stacks were supposed to be opened in Oct.  When they went to test the electricity and A/C units there was a bunch of smoke.  Apparently the amperage was about 50% higher than required.  The contractor wanted to just wire the A/C for off, low and medium and skip high but that offer was politely declined.  New opening date is set sometime in Mar 2016.

Lowest bidder for FTW!

I was there last July. About 3 days after I arrived, my AC unit spun a fan bearing and sounded like a can of nuts and bolts rattling around. Of course this was about an hour into my sleep time. Shortly there after the fan stopped and things started to heat up. A few hours of that was all I could take so pillow and blanket in hand, I walked my ass to the rec center and slept on the couch in the music studio room.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1