Baseops Forums
17D_guy

That Cyber Thread

Well,

I feel like this would be a good place to ask a few questions. A little background to my situation. I was AD for 6 years as a 2WoX1 (Ammo) just recently got out, contract ended 2 days go. I took a ANG slot in Wi as a 2W0x1 and am attending UW-Milwaukee for my Bachelors of science in information science and Technology I have about 2.5 years left. Currently also in ROTC and will have to go to school for an additional semester just to meet the 3 year requirement.

1. I want to become a 17X should I just stick to playing these silly ROTC games (they really get on my nerves as most of these kids will go to the real AF and be completely miss informed on how the AF operates)or should I just quit get my degree and then commission? Rotc also takes away a lot of my time where I could have another class or even be able to work more. Already working almost 30 hours a week ROTC makes for some long day 0400-2300 since I work on the nights we have PT in the AM.

2. How is the day to day of a 17X is it all sitting at a computer, talking to chiefs who are computer illiterate or can it actually be fun and interesting?

3. Is it worth it for me to even commission to get "job experience" for the civilian sector if i was to retire? Got out of AD as a Senior Airman so no actually supervisor roles on my resume.

On 9/12/2018 at 8:49 PM, dusty said:

Well,

I feel like this would be a good place to ask a few questions. A little background to my situation. I was AD for 6 years as a 2WoX1 (Ammo) just recently got out, contract ended 2 days go. I took a ANG slot in Wi as a 2W0x1 and am attending UW-Milwaukee for my Bachelors of science in information science and Technology I have about 2.5 years left. Currently also in ROTC and will have to go to school for an additional semester just to meet the 3 year requirement.

1. I want to become a 17X should I just stick to playing these silly ROTC games (they really get on my nerves as most of these kids will go to the real AF and be completely miss informed on how the AF operates)or should I just quit get my degree and then commission? Rotc also takes away a lot of my time where I could have another class or even be able to work more. Already working almost 30 hours a week ROTC makes for some long day 0400-2300 since I work on the nights we have PT in the AM.

2. How is the day to day of a 17X is it all sitting at a computer, talking to chiefs who are computer illiterate or can it actually be fun and interesting?

3. Is it worth it for me to even commission to get "job experience" for the civilian sector if i was to retire? Got out of AD as a Senior Airman so no actually supervisor roles on my resume.

Sorry, just saw this.

1. If I could do it all over again I'd do ROTC.  OTS is a gamble.  The games suck, but theirs those with every commissioning source.

2.  Sitting at a computer...yep.  Discussions aren't too bad, we're the AF so most people understand computers, what they don't understand are processes or lines of authority.  You'll explain those a lot.

3. Uh...it depends?  Officers in 17X are much more leadership with early years on keyboard (if you get ops).  If you get support they're almost all management.  1B4's are enlisted, and are almost all more on keyboard focused for the long run.  It really depends on what you want to do.

If someone with a lot of DOT experience could shoot me a PM I'd appreciate it.  I've got some air-breathing ops questions as we build out our cyber training requirements.

Greetings from Cyber-land.  Looks like we've started to develop a national strategy on how to impose costs on the enemy and threaten with "the cybers" just like when we park B-52s near North Korea -

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/23/us/politics/russian-hacking-usa-cyber-command.html

Fantastic read overall, specific part -

Cyber Command has also sent teams to Ukraine, Macedonia and Montenegro to build up defenses against Russian hackers intent on penetrating government networks on its doorstep in Eastern Europe.

The United States is helping Montenegro remove Russian cyberoperatives from nonclassified government systems, a senior Montenegrin official said. Painstaking work, the effort could take months to find and close all the access points Russian hackers have created. Russians have not penetrated the government’s classified systems, the official said.

Of additional interest is this Cyber National Mission Force twitter account which is dropping malware that's been discovered in the wild - https://twitter.com/CNMF_VirusAlert

Shit's getting real folks.  We're developing legit policy to inform strategy to impose legit costs on our enemy in this new domain.  I'm fucking excited.

As the DO of a Cyber Ops Unit getting the expeditionary/Ops mindset in our Airmen is...difficult.  Hopefully the "You're an instrument of National power projection" will help...if not, shit's about to get even more directive.

Additionally, getting some of the HHQ shoe clerks to think outside of TDY's to CONUS locations and what it takes to go to some of these places has been extremely difficult.  Required to wear civilian clothes...we need a civ clothing allowance for our E's.  The retired MSgt running XP shaking his head "No," since they can just go buy it out of pocket.  WTF.

Also, did you know that we've hired civilians onto our teams?  Did you know we're unable to order civilians to take missions?  They can just refuse.  Great planning AF!  I'm going to start throwing around "Gucci boys" as a slur. 

We're starting threat of the week next Friday, so if anyone's got a good template let me know.  Otherwise the 2Lt doing it can thrash and learn via pain.

Fuck I love this job. 

Thanks to everyone here for the guidance over the years, it's helping very much.

• Like 3

@17D_guy, since AMRDEC just bit it, are there any AF solutions out there which can be leveraged to share large files across to users around the world securely?

Also, someone needs to un-fuck the PII tool so that it doesn't think attached emails have SSNs in them!  It also keys on aircraft part numbers with long strings of alpha-numeric characters.  When the tool runs, there needs to be a way for us to tell said tool that no, those part numbers are NOT PII.  This is a huge issue now that AMRDEC is down and may never come back up.

Edited by stract
  • Upvote 2

Additionally, getting some of the HHQ shoe clerks to think outside of TDY's to CONUS locations and what it takes to go to some of these places has been extremely difficult.  Required to wear civilian clothes...we need a civ clothing allowance for our E's.  The retired MSgt running XP shaking his head "No," since they can just go buy it out of pocket.  WTF.

Uhh, there are a lot of Es who already need civilian clothes for foreign travel who don’t get a clothing allowance. Why should Cyber be any different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

Uhh, there are a lot of Es who already need civilian clothes for foreign travel who don’t get a clothing allowance. Why should Cyber be any different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe we improve the situation for everyone? Crazy i know.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tonka said:

Maybe we improve the situation for everyone? Crazy i know.

For real.

Those E's leadership failed. It's authorized in AFI with a few required items/timelines (which we hit). There are some AFSCs/jobs that get it automatically and we're trying to get added if (actually when) we pick up that mission.

There is a difference between having to travel in civilian clothes (who doesn't anymore?) and having to perform official duties on a routine basis in civi's.  

On 11/10/2018 at 11:25 AM, 17D_guy said:

We made a push for this a few years ago. Unfunded request through the the group RAs. Required a lot of justification from the SQ/CC. Other units skin the cat by making the civ clothing part of the initial issue gear you get when you get to your unit. You get a a gift card to REI, or whatever store meets your clothing needs, and a shopping list of required items, xx polos, xx khaki pants, shoes, mutlitool, etc. Allows everyone to build their own “kit” so they can get items that meet the needs/sizes/preferences of the individual. The gift card takes the hassle out of having to have a government charge card holder go with every person to buy their stuff. 

I would probably recommend sending a NCO or O with the young guys, giving a couple hundred dollars on a gift card to a young airman is a recipe for disaster.