Webmail / CAC

I got my previous CAC at my guard unit.. then PCSd... CAC was getting unreliable, so I got a new one here at an active duty base.

Now I can't log into the guard webmail (mail3.ang.af.mil/owa), keeps saying internal 500 error. The email address on my cert changed back to ###@us.af.mil. I used RAPIDs online self service to change it back to my guard email, but no luck.

Anyone have prior experience with getting a new CAC while on an Active Duty installation? Somethin aint right with mine.

You should watch where you put you CAC, that will solve most of your problems. The 500 error is a strange one that comes and goes and is usually not tied to the email address. I had one whith no address on it and it worked. Best guess would be to have the CAC workers at the AD base change the email.

If that doesn't work try the Google chrome browser, worked for my to get to DCO.

I thought everybody (AD, ANG, AFRC) had "@us.af.mil" emails these days? Mine changed from "@mcguire.af.mil" 4-5 years ago, and I've been AFRC my entire AF career.

I get that 500 error periodically from home (Vista/IE9); I haven't figured out any commonalities between instances. Same CAC for the past 3 years.

Edited by JarheadBoom

Sounds like the issue isn't your e-mail per se, but rather the private key.

Login to AF.mil and search recover CAC certificate.

There is a .pdf trifold which describes the process & the PKI recovery website is only accessible from a .mil.

Once you have recovered your certificates you will be able to export them to your work computer and/or copy the recovered cert to a CD and then upload it at home, thereby making it available to Windows in addition to your current certs.

Then you can access your OWA utilizing the old private key with your new card.

Good luck!

I thought everybody (AD, ANG, AFRC) had "@us.af.mil" emails these days? Mine changed from "@mcguire.af.mil" 4-5 years ago, and I've been AFRC my entire AF career.

I get that 500 error periodically from home (Vista/IE9); I haven't figured out any commonalities between instances. Same CAC for the past 3 years.

I got a 'us.af.mil' account I guess when I got to AMS, but when I got to my guard unit, I got a separate @ang.af.mil.

I thought they used to all direct to same inbox, but as soon as I PCS'd to current AD base, I found out they are now acting as independent mailboxes.

Herk - I've seen those directions, I'll try it. Do you know any way to get that private key back on to the CAC? Or do you have to lug it around with you and load it on every computer you want to use?

Thanks all

Edited by rancormac

Herk - I've seen those directions, I'll try it. Do you know any way to get that private key back on to the CAC? Or do you have to lug it around with you and load it on every computer you want to use?

Thanks all

Rancor,

To my knowledge the private keys don't add to the CAC and reside only on the systems you utilize. Google Drive can help so you don't need to lug...

Herk.

I got a 'us.af.mil' account I guess when I got to AMS, but when I got to my guard unit, I got a separate @ang.af.mil.

I thought they used to all direct to same inbox, but as soon as I PCS'd to current AD base, I found out they are now acting as independent mailboxes.

Thanks all

Stupid Guard and their separate network. Come to the glory of AFNET!

Anyway, thanks Butters for the lolz.

If you do the recovery on the trifold it will load the private key back and there's a way to put it on your card. I'll look around to see if I can find it.

Sigh... nothing's worked.

Active Duty webmail loads fine, but impossible to get past the 500 error for guard webmail. I think I've exhausted my resources at this point. Definitely has something to do with my new CAC.

So... I did PKI recovery, downloaded my previous ANG email certs, imported them into IE... but whenver I log into ANG OWA, the box pops up to load a certificate and is ONLY reading the ones on my smart card.

I'm on my 5th CAC since October. For some reason they keep dumping the certificates so when I try to log in I see the error message "could not read smart card. Please ensure it fits tightly blah blah".

I'm tdy at a guard base this week. If I go get a cac here will I be fooked when I get home? Fwiw I have .af.mil and .ang email addresses (or at least I did, the afnet migration is another issue)

Any ideas?

forgive my ignorance, but couldn't you just drop this pile of shit (CAC card, personal computer, etc.) off at comm and have them unf$$$ it?? i've always wanted to try that option. It seems like every 2 mo., some new security change comes out, and I'm subsequently unable to access email, AF portal, AROWS, DTS etc. Any more, you need to be an IT professional to operate this shit.

it just boggles my mind why "somebody" (i.e. comm maybe?) can't put out some sort of gouge, continuity info,etc to address all these common issues rather than have people spend countless hours troubleshooting.

Day X at 1300 hrs, I am able to access my ANG email via OWA. Then I go get a new CAC, because we got issued shitty tablets that doesnt want to read my CAC, and cant log on without it. Same day, 1400 hours, I can no longer log into ANG OWA webmail.

This was 2 weeks ago. My ANG comm just told me "I think OWA has been down for about a week now."

My AD base Comm said "sorry, this isn't an AD issue, we cant really elevate it".

Edited by rancormac

So I was having problems too from the AD side trying to log in from out of country. I turned on the VPN to the U.S. and the problem went away. Possible solution? I don't know how many of you are out of country.

it just boggles my mind why "somebody" (i.e. comm maybe?) can't put out some sort of gouge, continuity info,etc to address all these common issues rather than have people spend countless hours troubleshooting.

militarycac.com for all your CAC gouge needs.

militarycac.com for all your CAC gouge needs.

Yep, been using it for years, excellent stuff. Ironic how it is run by ex-mil etc. and not endorsed/affiliated to any mil org.