suggestions with choosing which unit to join?

I watched a relative join the Guard recently off the street, and was NOT impressed. Way worse than AD.

Oh for sure. They're a quite a few guard squadrons out there that sound worse than AD. They tend to be run by guys who are off AD straight into full time jobs. So they've never been a part timer and don't understand what it's like to be one. Until recently they've never had to deal with part timers (since airlines weren't hiring) and it appears some have chosen not to deal them...

I still think it should be a requirement for leadership to have been a part timer. At the very least we should get back to the days of the SQ/CC and/or OG/CC being part timers.

*Note: Some stand alone guard bases now have active duty WG/CC. Will be interesting to see where that goes.

I live in a Navy town, drink with plenty of Navy bros. Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. They're just as jaded and pissed off as we are. They're just worried about something they type on AW potentially affecting their real-world career.

I get that. But they're still encouraging people to join.

Misery loves company!

You are right about that! I joined the Navy in 1988 against the advice of older, wiser friends and relatives who had been there and "dun it". But I knew everything. Decided to go ahead with joining after a visit to the Navy water survival school in Pensacola and a tour of the AVCAD area. All those people who were in told me how great it was. Most miserable time of my life. Went on a six year contract and was able to work a six month early out and was in the Air Guard two weeks later. Spent the next 18 years between the Guard and Reserve. In those 18 years I can't count as high as the number of people I saw jump ship from all the other branches to an AF component. Less than five did I every see leave the AF for something else and those were all to go fly helos in the Army.

I live in a Navy town, drink with plenty of Navy bros. Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. They're just as jaded and pissed off as we are. They're just worried about something they type on AW potentially affecting their real-world career.

Dang.

One of the best things about the interwebs is the anonymity. Are folks getting identifed by-name on AW or something?

I apologize for my post on Oct 14th. I agree I should respect all military members on here. I am not trolling anyone, trying to figure out which way and the best way to become a fighter pilot seems stressful and impossible to predict. I want to go the guard way there because you already know what you are going to fly when you get accepted to the UPT board.Thanks for the help.

If I go the ROTC route, and get a major in Russian studies with a high GPA, will students with degrees in Aerospace engineering be considered the ones to get the pilot slot over me? If I go AD, I plan to go to ENJJPT, but wouldn't mind going to SUPT. Is it true that a lot of people(statistically) don't have really high GPA's when they try to major in AE? My overall goal is to go to USAF test pilot school, become an experimental test pilot flying fighters, and then become an astronaut. First, I wanted to major in Russian studies, so I can increase my chances for a high GPA and ENJJPT(AE would probably lower it)., then serve my time flying fighters AD, then transition to the reserves/guard, and get my degree in AE because it is great to have if you want to become an experimental test pilot. I would get my master's at USAF test pilot school, or the National test pilot school. Thanks.

How about you quit being a giant vag and work your ass off to do well in the engineering field you want. Then join the unit willing to hire you.

FYI, I went to ENJJPT and probably 75% of the studs there had engineering degrees, including myself. They we're also decent athletes, really good dudes/dudettes, and they were freaking smart too.

There's no shortage of people willing to do the things you aren't in order to get to ENJJPT.

Yes, I want to study Russian because my overall goal is to become an astronaut. If I become an ANG fighter pilot, I will go back to school and get my aerospace engineering degree to knock the easier one out first and increase my chances for a higher gpa than I would with getting my aerospace engineering degree first. Again, I apologize about my Oct 14 post.

If you are familiar with the ANG way to become a pilot, that's the way I'm going instead of the ROTC AD way there. I've read deeply about the process from the forums on this site and I feel confident about going this route.

I am willing to do well and doing and being everything it takes. What worries me are a few things, 1) USAF downsizing and cuts(having less aircraft, more competition, 2)ROTC getting more stringent and now requiring field training to be done before getting a pilot slot, 3) possibility of getting RPA in ENJJPT after all of that hard work. There are other factors that are many and that's why I come to sites like this one, to find people who have been there, and ask for their time to tell their experiences and what walls I may run into going this route.

I accidently posted replies when I actually intended to quote a few guys so I think my posts are out of order, but I have a question for anyone on here that knows. I was reading a thread that discussed possibilities of going from navigator to pilot and the advantages of having navigator experience since you are a rated officer. However, it was posted in 2006. Does this still happen? Basically, a navigator that is considered having flight experience has a better shot at ENJJPT than an ROTC candidate because of his proven ability to fly in fighter aircraft?

I am willing to do well and doing and being everything it takes. What worries me are a few things, 1) USAF downsizing and cuts(having less aircraft, more competition, 2)ROTC getting more stringent and now requiring field training to be done before getting a pilot slot, 3) possibility of getting RPA in ENJJPT after all of that hard work. There are other factors that are many and that's why I come to sites like this one, to find people who have been there, and ask for their time to tell their experiences and what walls I may run into going this route.

you're like the william s. burroughs of shitty posters.

you need to search and read more. part of using this forum is the challenge of finding threads, taking in the info and contextualizing it. alot of what you asked has been asked and answered many times before.