RPA Select, What Next?

So I just got picked up for RPA on the Active Duty board that dropped last week. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on a few questions I have.

When will I find out and what will be the notification process for getting a date?

Do I need need to do MFS if I already have a good 2U flight physical?

Will I PCS to Randolph and then TDY to Pueblo for IFS or TDY en route from my current station?

Any other helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Not RPA specific, but it should be similar as the CSO/pilot select guys...BLUF check with your training shop as they will have the most (if any) SA on it

1) you'll find out whenever AFPC figures it out. Keep checking with your training shop as they will be the first to get the word in your squadron (usually). You'll get a RIP that you'll sign, they send in, then orders. The RIP will have dates on it

2) Not sure about MFS, but in most cases the physical you do prior to the board is only to apply to the board, not for actual qualification

3) totally depends, it can happen both ways, just depends on dates and how you/AFOC work it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can always check reqs on the etca website. But otherwise, as alluded to above, there's going to be some waiting involved, and then figuring your TDYs out through sq/base training shops. The pipeline isn't exactly quick or smooth, so stay calm.

As of 2.5 years ago:

If you are CONUS you will TDY out and back to Pueblo, then Randolph. Holloman will be a en route from your current duty station. I was home for 2-3 weeks at a time between each TDY.

If you are OCONUS you will PCS to Randolph, Out and back to Pueblo, Holloman will be en route from Randolph to your new duty station.

You won't get your assignment until most of the way through training at Randolph.

• 1 year later...

I'm currently going through the selection process and am pretty confident I will be selected for an RPA slot. I've been looking all over the internet trying to figure out what the training pipeline is from selection to.....Uhhh I dont even know what to call it.... your first job out of training. Im just a civilian so please refrain from using acronyms. Thanks fellas. 

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks. Can someone fill me in on theses acronyms:

IFS 

IRQ/RFC 

FTU 

IFS was Introductory Flight Screening. In your case you'll attend RFT: RPA Flight Training (Phase 1). It's a ~1 month course at Pueblo where you'll get an introduction to flight in the Diamond 20. IIRC it consists of about 30 flight hours and you will solo. Standards are relaxed compared to IFS for traditional UPT studs.

RIQ: RPA Instrument Qualification (Phase 2). 2 month course at Randolph where you fly the T-6 sim. Culminates with an instrument sim checkride. In the past students got an orientation flight with the PIT T-6 squadron (not sure if this is still happening post pipeline expansion). Your performance in this phase of training will determine your airframe and assignment.

RFC: RPA Fundamentals Course (Phase 3). 1 month course where you fly a Predator/Reaper desktop trainer. Focuses on mission integration. Your performance impacts Distinguished Grad, Academic Award, etc. 18X wings awarded at Graduation.

FTU: Formal Training Unit. training to receive qualification in MQ-1, MQ-9, or RQ-4. Not sure if -1s are still an option. 1s and 9s are at Holloman. Global Hawks train at Beale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

Not sure where to post this question, so I just figured here would work. I am an RPA Select, and graduating this year. I know that RPAs wear the flight suit, and along with the flight suit you are only authorized to wear flight approved boots due to their fire retardant ratings and so forth. Considering RPA pilots are not in manned aircraft (obviously) are our uniform regulations the same? 

My question in short: Do I need to have flight approved boots with my flight suit since I am not in a manned aircraft, or do I still need them due to "Pilot/Flight Suit AFI" regulations?

Thanks!

Not sure where to post this question, so I just figured here would work. I am an RPA Select, and graduating this year. I know that RPAs wear the flight suit, and along with the flight suit you are only authorized to wear flight approved boots due to their fire retardant ratings and so forth. Considering RPA pilots are not in manned aircraft (obviously) are our uniform regulations the same? 

My question in short: Do I need to have flight approved boots with my flight suit since I am not in a manned aircraft, or do I still need them due to "Pilot/Flight Suit AFI" regulations?

Thanks!

When you need flight boots your flying unit will issue them

So, as a senior in AFROTC, should I not invest in a new pair of Nike boots simply because I won't get my money's worth?

Let’s try this again: when you need your flight boots, your flying unit will issue them.

9 hours ago, cdaniel said:

So, as a senior in AFROTC, should I not invest in a new pair of Nike boots simply because I won't get my money's worth?

I wouldn't call that an investment.  You absolutely won't get your money's worth.

Been flying droids for 2 years, 5 or 6 different units, 2 MAJCOMS,  deployment LRE and I have yet to wear my flight issued boots. I've brought several pairs back to base supply and traded them in for Rockies/Tims/Solomons. Some squadron CCs can get picky about it though. Legally you are doing flight duties while in the box, so you "should" be wearing flight boots. If you figure out a way to mangle your self so bad in the box the only way to identify you is by your footprint you really f d up. 

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

Hello!

I am a former Army NCO that has recently finished graduate school and decided that I wanted back in the military after a four year hiatus. This led to me researching opportunities in the Army, but ulimtarely I decided to expand my research. This additional research led to my desire to pursue a commission in the Air Force. After a conversation with the local recruiter, he told me that the best chance at obtaining a commission in the Air Force was through a rated career field. However, due to my age (currently 33 years old), the only option I have from the rated career fields is the RPA pilot. I am ok with becoming an RPA pilot, but wondered what the chances would be of getting the Global Hawk with a follow on to Beale AFB? I see a lot of the RPA pilots getting Reapers and Predators, but not a lot of conversation about the Global Hawk. I didn’t know if that meant that Global Hawks were not possible straight out of the training pipeline or if it was simply that most RPA pilots do not want the Global Hawk as their assigned aircraft. I know it’s hard to be certain on, “Yes, there will be a slot for you” because manning requirements change, but I was just curious since I don’t see slot of discussion about the Global Hawk on any public forum really. Thanks for everyone’s perspective on this career field and I look forward to hearing from the group’s experience!