Air National Guard/ Active Duty Pilot Select Decision

I was recently notified that I have been selected for both an active duty pilot slot as well as a slot at my local ANG unit in my home town. I'm having problems deciding which slot to accept. The local ANG squadron flies C130s which seems like a very cool platform to fly, and it would be amazing to be local my entire career around family because it is where I grew up. I also plan to fly for the airlines one day and most of the pilots in the unit fly for the airlines so I would have a lot of connections to the majors. However it is tempting to go active duty for the outstanding benefits and the chance at fighters which has been a dream of mine. However after looking at recent T38/fighter drops on the forums and talking with current Instructor Pilots at UPT now, it doesn't look like the odds are in my favor to gamble for fighters. Any advice would be appreciated as I'm trying to make this tough decision.

However after looking at recent T38/fighter drops on the forums and talking with current Instructor Pilots at UPT now, it doesn't look like the odds are in my favor to gamble for fighters.

Completely disregard drops on this forum and anything people say, including UPT instructors or a random fighter pilot you know...completely serious. You are so far from track select, let alone getting a post-UPT assignment, there's no telling what will happen. If you go AD, you could be in a class where everyone gets a Viper on assignment night (apparently just happened), or you could get to track select and there's one T-38 and you're not the guy. Point is, NOBODY has an clue what it'll be like for you in 1.5-2 years. Every class is different, assignments go in waves, etc. If you go Guard there's a lot of great things, but you can pretty much count on never flying a fighter - if you're OK with that then take the guard job and never look back. If you'll always be wondering, "what if?" then in my opinion it's worth taking the chance, and even if in the end you don't end up in a fighter, there's still a lot great flying to be had in something else, doing great missions, and hell, you could still end up flying Hercs anyways and get a job at your hometown unit in 8-10 years.

• Upvote 1

kind of off topic but seems like Columbus drops highest number of fighters. Did anyone else notice that?

100% anecdotal...that may be true for 6-9 drops but it can/will change

Plus I'm pretty sure that (in total) ENJJPT has dropped the most

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by hispeed7721

I was in the same boat of being on the fence. dont know the 130 unit but honestly to me, it came down to what puts me up in the air the most and the reality from the guard side was not a fighter. now AD may be (is) different so YMMV

Sorry, should have clarified. Obviously ENJJPT drops most fighters- I meant out of the 3 other SUPT bases

Looking at the historical data should show that drops are unpredictable, and, like Brabus said, figure out what you want to do and go for it.

Allow myself to quote...myself.
  • Upvote 1

I am in the same boat with the AFROTC pilot slot but the guard unit that has been talking with me is a Viper unit so I appreciate all the advice as well. Ever since the unit talked about the possibility of me coming on board I've been trying to amass as much information about the guard as I can because AFROTC tells us absolutely nothing about the guard. So any wisdom y'all can share with me would be greatly appreciated.

To the original post... I am trying not to stress out or get my hopes up or feel like I have to make a decision right away because as far as I know there hasn't been any direction from AFROTC HQ allowing cadets to get out of their FY16 contracts to go guard/reserve, unless these guard units that we have been in contact with know more than our Det commanders (which I don't doubt). I know that they rolled out that program allowing FY15 graduates to get out and go guard last summer and from what I hear around my Det is that it probably will be offered for FY16 but hasn't been made official yet. Then again, it may not be an option for the rated folks even if it is offered for FY16. All that to say, obviously you shouldn't go and give up your AD slot without some sort of "guarantee" from that guard unit.

Also, how are they framing this UPT "offer" to you? Are they planning on you commissioning through AFROTC and then going guard post-commission or are you getting out of AFROTC all together, graduating and then having them send you to OTS? Because I have yet to discuss that with the unit I am in contact with and I'm interested in what you have been told because that is a big question. I was just thinking that it will probably be buried in the details of the program if/when it is released but if you have heard/been told otherwise, I'd love to know.

Just to update everyone on my decision; after going back and forth I have decided to go Guard. It just seems like it would work out better for me and my family in the long run giving me more control and flexibility over my life. I can get my foot in door at the airlines earlier where seniority is everything. Living in the Dallas Fort Worth area provides a lot of opportunity at the majors; especially at American and South West. I'll definitely have to fly for the regionals to help build my time faster to qualify for the majors. My guard unit is located here in the metroplex so my commute to both jobs would be minimal. I'm very grateful for the opportunity and thanks again for everyone's advice.

Just to update everyone on my decision; after going back and forth I have decided to go Guard. It just seems like it would work out better for me and my family in the long run giving me more control and flexibility over my life. I can get my foot in door at the airlines earlier where seniority is everything. Living in the Dallas Fort Worth area provides a lot of opportunity at the majors; especially at American and South West. I'll definitely have to fly for the regionals to help build my time faster to qualify for the majors. My guard unit is located here in the metroplex so my commute to both jobs would be minimal. I'm very grateful for the opportunity and thanks again for everyone's advice.

it's probably worth noting that, if somthing doesn't work with this unit, whatever it is, if you turn down an offer for OTS, that's it, you can't apply again.