Jobs Outside the Guard/Reserve/Active Duty for CSOs

Hello,

I've been considering going CSO for a while since I apparently have a better chance at landing a slot than pilot. Most pilots seem to fly for a living outside the Guard/Reserve (G/R). However, what do CSOs do on the other side? I reckon since they don't do much actual flying, landing a flying job based on their flying experience in the G/R does not seem as likely.

I'm not asking because I'm on the fast track to becoming some airline guy or whatever. I'm just genuinely curious to see if CSO would open up any other doors for me in the civilian world. I work for the government at the moment, so I'm thinking I might still be in security as a CSO. Which is fine. Again, I'm just curious!

Any insight is much appreciated!

If you have a technical background, your best bet might be in the test world. More as an engineer than as a CSO. Even as a TPS grad CSO and knowing where to look it's been next to impossible to find any test CSO jobs. And even as an engineer it can be tough if you're not a grad, but not impossible. Having aviation experience is big.

At my potential Reserve unit, a lot of the CSO's are airline pilots on the outside. Including the last commander.

One related field you could consider is airline dispatcher... Low-ish starting pay (high $20Ks I think?) but good benefits (including non-rev travel) and it can get up to the $80Ks after a couple of decades. Not a great job by itself probably, but in conjunction with troughing for your unit it's probably a good deal.

A lot of it depends on which aircraft you're flying. I've been a CSO since mid-2011 and I couldn't see anywhere to go after my first plane. I cross-trained over to a different platform and it's definitely opened up a lot of doors in the contracting world. My recommendation would be to just pursue whatever you think will make you happy.

There is an open full-time contractor job at HQ AMC as the ZAR Manager. Basically the position entails reviewing the landing zone and drop zone survey submittals, a good fit for a MAF nav. If you're familiar with PFPS/Falconview you'll recall the software's ability to display DZ/LZ info. The creator of those monthly updates would be you. The job link is here

4/13 Update: This job was filled by a CSO!

Edited by clamar84

• 2 weeks later...

As a CSO who recently left AD it's entirely doable depending on your background. I landed at a DOD-centered software company (w/o a tech background) and in the Guard part-time flying a similar platform. Technical knowledge, lots of ops experience and a good reputation were key to ending up where I did on both counts.

What do you fly think you want to fly if I may ask? That has the potential to drive what you look at on the outside. Or just learn how to code or become a chef or a personal trainer or start a landscaping company, etc....whatever floats your boat.

BL: Guys underestimate themselves IMHO. If you're not too dumb, have a degree and mil ops experience the world is your f*cking oyster if you're willing to put in the hard work to crack it open.

Edited by nsplayr

The guard and reserve will still have slicks for awhile, but it's hard to say how long "awhile" is. Definitely no future for slicks in active duty. There's only a couple units left already and they RIFd most of us. The J units won't go away any time soon but there's not a lot of options for CSOs in the part time world right now. Keesler (WC) and Harrisburg (EC) are the only ones, unless some of the HC units have started flying Js already. I think Kirtland has some slots for instructors at the schoolhouse, but they'll want for HC/MC guys if possible.