Harrison Ford Successfully Lands Malfunctioning Aircraft

ClearedHot

Couple moths ago a small plane came to the same grief on a local golf course also situated right off the end of a runway. Sole occupant not really injured. Emergency crews got there and secured the area for investigation. I am told that after a couple days of waiting with no investigation the golf course cut the wings off and moved the airplane out of the way.

No, there are not any special inspections above and beyond meeting the regulations. This lady was the head of the DOT for a few years in the 90's, and now is a lawyer who sues airlines and private pilots for wrongful death and property damage.

I'm not much for civilian flying, but wtf is a special aging aircraft protocol?

It's an FAA initiative from the early 2000s to, basically, get operators looking closer at their older aircraft.

AC120-84 lays out some specific inspections for >9-seat multiengine Part 135 operators, and all Part 121 operators.

Cessna added additional inspections to their 100 and 200-series aircraft manufactured between 1946 and 1986 (i.e. the vast majority of them).

AOPA has also published some recommendations for inspecting and maintaining older GA aircraft.

OK Jarhead fair enough. Part 91 and single engine ops have no "Special inspections". (Warbirds) This lady is still talking out of her ass.

Not quite. Cessna added those inspection requirements to their maintenance manuals, so they're not optional.

I get your point, and yes, she is definitely talking out of her ass. However, inspecting & maintaining, for example, a Cirrus SR22 is a lot different than inspecting & maintaining a Ryan PT-22. A mechanic who knows SR22s inside & out isn't necessarily going to know about any "special emphasis required" areas to inspect on a PT-22, even though he's 100% legal to work on both airplanes.

Probably a good example of why most non-Hollywood warbird/antique guys hang out at Chino.

Then again, the flies, cow shit smell and commute there aren't very convenient for the Hollywood crowd.

Edited by Clayton Bigsby

The older the _______, the more likely it is to crash, she said. "As the years go on, they get a lot more dangerous."

"They need very special care," and _________ laws proscribe their ______ parameters. "You have to follow a special aging ________ protocol," Schiavo said.

Think of all the possibilities.

Given the fight going on to keep SMO open, I'm sure the City Council will try to use this as ammo to close the airport.

The airport is on loan, in perpetuity, to Santa Monica. The Feds have threatened to take it back if they move to close it.

LS

I have a friend who is based out of there. Last time I was visiting, I met the guy who's leading the charge to keep the airport open. He was giving a tour to a contingent from the FAA. Last I heard, there was significant support to keep it open . The city council made a huge push to close it again after the Citation crashed, hit a hangar and killed all on board in 2013. Thankfully, it was unsuccessful. It's a great airport with significant history.