Time frame to start sending in applications to Guard/Reserve units as graduation date/ROTC commission date approaches?

[i know this question is asked occasionally, created a bunch of keywords to help search results]

1. Do all Guard/Reserve units require me to have my degree BEFORE the board date, or before the application date? I'll be commissioning through ROTC so if I get accepted I can get started right away...

2. Where are the best places to see which units are hiring? WantsCheck is always broken...

3. If a unit isn't hiring, how would one go about asking to see if they need new guys anyway? Is there a law or AF reg that says the position needs to be advertised?

Dude, your question is unique and strange, like my last girlfriend. Commission through ROTC but looking to ANG, alright, I have heard of that. You need to contact units directly, every unit is different, don't get discouraged when one unit says no. The state HRO websites sometimes have the hiring guy on them, call that guy, tell them your plight. Use your google-fu to figure out who to call, it isn't that hard.

Dude, your question is unique and strange, like my last girlfriend. Commission through ROTC but looking to ANG, alright, I have heard of that. You need to contact units directly, every unit is different, don't get discouraged when one unit says no. The state HRO websites sometimes have the hiring guy on them, call that guy, tell them your plight. Use your google-fu to figure out who to call, it isn't that hard.

Pics of unique and strange girlfriend?

[i know this question is asked occasionally, created a bunch of keywords to help search results]

1. Do all Guard/Reserve units require me to have my degree BEFORE the board date, or before the application date? I'll be commissioning through ROTC so if I get accepted I can get started right away...

2. Where are the best places to see which units are hiring? WantsCheck is always broken...

3. If a unit isn't hiring, how would one go about asking to see if they need new guys anyway? Is there a law or AF reg that says the position needs to be advertised?

1. no, of some of them have gotten burned by people in that situtation, so they may be leary. alot of times, those exceptions are made only for unit members who are interviewing.

2. call ops desks. getting those numbers is truly the grand adventure.

3. i think only for a fulltime technician/AGR jobs, which as you probably know, are almost never taking off the street hires.

Edited by 12xu2a3x3

Well I just spoke with my PAS who told me that he had seen a reserve guy while he was at Maxwell. And it sounds like they are begging people to come fly for them! To the point where you can just about choose any base/any airframe that you want. I was picked up for RPA and am about to graduate but I am definitely considering going to reserve if I can really choose any airframe!

I had a few questions about this issue.

1. Being able to choose any airframe/any base sounds really tempting, but being in the reserves sounds like an awful deal compared to AD. On the retirement benefits alone that is tens of thousands of dollars that you are missing out on if you choose to leave after 20 years.

2. What are the odds of being able to find another flying job with the airlines? And isn't this distracting to have to do that job and be in the military at the same time?

3. So reserves offer no BAH or BAS... do they offer any assistance with repaying school loans?

I am really having a hard time figuring out why anybody would choose reserves right from the beginning. The only reason that I would switch is if you really do have that many options about what you will be flying. I would much rather be in manned aircraft than doing RPA, but RPA doesn't sound bad at all with all those benefits.

I did an MWS initial qual with a butter bar "off-the-street" reservist. She did college, majored in aviation, then got hired at a regional. After a year there, she went to a party and met a reservist pilot who encouraged her to rush the unit. She did, and got hired.

She did OTS, UPT, then IQT. So two years or so of AD as a reservist, then back to her airline gig with mil flying on the side.

She was 24 years old when I met her.

If I had known that was possible when I started college...that's what I would've tried to do.

Almost forgot: Yes, she was hot. No, I don't have pics.

I had a few questions about this issue.

1. Being able to choose any airframe/any base sounds really tempting, but being in the reserves sounds like an awful deal compared to AD. On the retirement benefits alone that is tens of thousands of dollars that you are missing out on if you choose to leave after 20 years.

2. What are the odds of being able to find another flying job with the airlines? And isn't this distracting to have to do that job and be in the military at the same time?

3. So reserves offer no BAH or BAS... do they offer any assistance with repaying school loans?

I am really having a hard time figuring out why anybody would choose reserves right from the beginning. The only reason that I would switch is if you really do have that many options about what you will be flying. I would much rather be in manned aircraft than doing RPA, but RPA doesn't sound bad at all with all those benefits.

NnoGhN1.gif

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...