Service Photo Update

Dupe

Updating my military photo is a pain in the ass as I promote or get some new trinket awarded to me.

(yes.. I have to actually update my service photo. Maybe some of you are lucky enough not to)

Would anyone find value in a service that lets you upload a photo, state what needs to be changed, and you get a new military photo back that is up-to-date?

I'm thinking about starting a small business based around that concept, but I'm not sure if there's a solid need.

Edited by Dupe

Totally serious.

I once sat for an official photo twice within a relatively close period as I was CGOQ then applied for a special program as an O-4. The base photo shop refused to just photo-edit my rank to oak leaves. As a result, I spent a few extra hours of my life getting the photo redone.

I'm interested to know if you'd use some kind of online service for that...

Did someone force you to apply to the special program? Did you not know a photo was required when you threw your name in the hat?

First world problems, man.

As for the service dress photo for CGOQ... Sorry man. My little slices of heaven over the last few years have had UOD photos for quarterly award winners and only annual winners had to break out the cheap blue business suit.

• Upvote 3

Back when the AF required photos in officer records, a few of the airmen in the CBPO (pre-MPF) decided to show me their "secret stash" of replaced photos. They kept ones that we obviously funny to look at or had glaring errors on them (missing collar brass, badges on the wrong side, etc.). That motivated me even more to closely examine my official photograph before handing it over to be placed in my records.

But since the requirement has been removed, I really don't see a huge market for this service. Also, any digital manipulation of a photo will probably not go over well with a board. I recall hearing about an Army O-6 who had his official photo (a full length one) taken from the ceiling while he was lying down. It was a feeble attempt to hide his "breadth" and somehow it was discovered (probably because it was blatantly obvious!). It didn't do him any favors.

Lastly, how tough is it to get a new photo done? I had to do so numerous times during my career, and it was never a big deal...

• Upvote 1

Totally serious.

I once sat for an official photo twice within a relatively close period as I was CGOQ then applied for a special program as an O-4. The base photo shop refused to just photo-edit my rank to oak leaves. As a result, I spent a few extra hours of my life getting the photo redone.

I'm interested to know if you'd use some kind of online service for that...

They won't photoshop the image because their AFI and a DODI forbids it. It also forbids you to do it and then use the photo for any official purpose...just sayin. If you want to use it for some personal reason then good on you.

I think I have had three or four official photos taken in over 20 years and that included back when I needed one in my record. As long as the rank is right, I have found it to not be a big deal.

Like Champ I have also been places recently that wanted UOD photos for award winners.

sVfBpuZ.jpg

Hey, she's paying cash and can only afford to do one side at a time. It takes a long time to get that kind of bank one dollar at a time. However, not unlike F-35 by the time she's ready to get the other side done she'll have to wait for the latest software upgrade, then there's the cost over runs, the boob sac sub-contractor will have gone out of business forcing the contract be rewritten/re-bid, bra manufactures won't have proper support equipment (STS) etc, etc, etc... By the time its all said and done she'll be replaced with a newer model that can do the job better, cheaper, faster and be available to NATO allies and approved customers on the international market.

Yeah dude hate to pile on, but don't waste your cash. This problem doesn't even register. First, it's not like I'm taking that hour out of my personal time. I've run over to get a pic taken and, when there, dropped the flightsuit down and UPT on a shirt/tie and service coat - total investment of less than a half hour. Second, time at work is a sunk cost. If I do this between flights, it's not like my time with the photography dude translates to extra time at work. I would only get it done if I was not busy anyway. Third, good luck convincing me to pay my own money to get around the minor issues listed above. I doubt you'd turn a profit on the approximately $0.69 I'm willing to forego to prevent some dude in the photo shop from actually having to do his job.

In unrelated news my buddy saw an AF PT test calculator app in the App Store for a few bucks. Talk about a solution for a problem that doesn't exist - reading the app description trying to sell you on it was entertaining to say the least.

Yeah dude hate to pile on, but don't waste your cash. This problem doesn't even register. First, it's not like I'm taking that hour out of my personal time. I've run over to get a pic taken and, when there, dropped the flightsuit down and UPT on a shirt/tie and service coat - total investment of less than a half hour. Second, time at work is a sunk cost. If I do this between flights, it's not like my time with the photography dude translates to extra time at work. I would only get it done if I was not busy anyway. Third, good luck convincing me to pay my own money to get around the minor issues listed above. I doubt you'd turn a profit on the approximately $0.69 I'm willing to forego to prevent some dude in the photo shop from actually having to do his job.

In unrelated news my buddy saw an AF PT test calculator app in the App Store for a few bucks. Talk about a solution for a problem that doesn't exist - reading the app description trying to sell you on it was entertaining to say the least.

That's why I have y'all. I have 6969 ideas, but 6900 of them are bad. I just don't know which ones.....