A week in Germany

HerkFE

Okay Fellas, I UTFSF but couldn't find what I was looking for. The wife and I are going to Germany in about two weeks. My wife's twin sister is over there TDY at Ramstein so we are using that as an excuse to go. We are taking my father-in-law with us and he has never been to Germany so I really want to show him a good time. He's in good shape so getting around isn't a problem. He's cool, likes beer, and is up for about anything. Looking for suggestions on things to do. I'd really like to find some "off the beaten path"/ "best kept secret" places if anyone has suggestions for those as well. I've been to Trip Advisor looking and it's almost overwhelming and you have to pick through the blue hairs suggestions and the people traveling with 12 kids, etc. Thought I would come here for some suggestions from some like minded bros who have spent some time there. We are going to try to get in a ski trip if it works out as well. Thanks

Edited by HerkFE

With where you'll be, your closer to the French/Black Forest/Swiss area than anything else.

Will you have your own car? Because while trains are great and all they aren't much cheaper than a rental and you won't have near the flexibility.

Strasbourg isn't a long drive, good place to blow the day out and see an old stereotypical european city. Your also close to a few old castles. Burg Eltz is cool and about an hour drive. It's a very weird castle being very tall for its size so it looks like a fantasy novel cover vs the old flat wide castles of England. Black Forest this time of year can be beautiful if you head to the areas heavy with waterfalls.

As for cities in Germany, the Porsche and Mercedes museums are in Stuttgart and here is the sino sinsiem museum down that way to. Very cool collection of all things technology so 50s cars, old trains, tanks, gets, the Concorde and concordski.

Neuschwanstein for a tour, any small town, lots of great food and beer!

If your going to ski AFRC in Berchasgarten plus near the Eagles Den, Hitlers hNg out in the summer.

All good, just stay in Byren don't go north!

The sister-in-law will have a rental for her entire TDY (not sure how she managed that). We aren't sure of her schedule yet but we will be able to have her drive when she can go with us. We will probably rent one when she can't go with us.

For skiing... Don't waste your time in Garmisch. Head to Innsbruck or further into Austria. Northern Italy is great too on the Dolomites, but it's a haul.

I'd stay out of Switzerland unless you just hit the lotto that place makes expensive Euro countries look like the value menu.

Dachau is worth a visit if you'll be close. Seeing where genocide was perfected is a bit much. There's some really good museums around the area as well.

There really wasn't a part of Germany that wasn't nice. Those Krauts take care of their county.

• Upvote 1

Little bit of a drive from K-town/Ramstein area, but the American Military Cemetery just outside Luxembourg City in Luxembourg west of Spangdahlem AB just over the Germany/Lux border is worth the trip. It's where Gen Patton and a few hundred of his troops from WWII are buried. Beautifully maintained by the American Battle Monuments Commission (at least when I was there last in 1987). Just a little suggestion.

EDIT: Lack to navigational skillz

Edited by Stitch

Thanks for the recommendations. The wife and I have been to Munich and went to Dachau. Definitely a good trip. I'm not sure if we are going to spend any time around MUC this trip. I was originally thinking that this was just going to be a ski trip and spend most of the time in Austria but I was corrected recently. Looks like most of our time will be around Ramstein and venturing out from there due to the sista wife's schedule. We are still going to try to get at least a day of skiing in down south. I may try to just take the paw in law to MUC for a guy trip later. The wife works for Delta so it's easy for us to get over there.

Little bit of a drive from K-town/Ramstein area, but the American Military Cemetery just outside Luxembourg City in Luxembourg west of Spangdahlem AB just over the Germany/Lux border is worth the trip. It's where Gen Patton and a few hundred of his troops from WWII are buried. Beautifully maintained by the American Battle Monuments Commission (at least when I was there last in 1987). Just a little suggestion.

EDIT: Lack to navigational skillz

If you do this, you also need to go down the road a few mins and see the German cemetery. Stark contrast to the American one.

If you do this, you also need to go down the road a few mins and see the German cemetery. Stark contrast to the American one.

I can imagine. We went to the cemeteries in the Flanders region of Belgium last year. The German one was definitely different from the others.

If you ski, Kitzbuhl was our favorite, but anything in Austria is great (choosing to ski/stay in Garmisch would be like skiing in Virginia when Colorado is available). You can stay in any of the towns around it and take connecting lifts to the top.

Strasbourg is fun for a day trip. If you go to Rothenberg I highly recommend spending the night in the city, you get a completely different experience. Bruges (Belgium) is better than Rothenberg, and was our favorite, but is 4.5 hours away. You'll want/need 2 nights there minimum. It's also beer fest season in Bruges, if you like beer there's not a better place in the world for that weekend!

Don't waste time in Heidelberg or Trier unless you are out of options or can't go further...Black Forest is also a waste unless you really want a cuckoo clock. Baden Baden = fun with the spouse (not with the parents) and if you see Burg Eltz or Nieuschweinstein (reserve your now...overly touristy, but still great), you'll never need to see another castle again.

Sorry for any spelling errors...didn't care enough to look it up.

Very true, the German cemetery at Bitburg where President Reagan visited in 1985 is/was very different. Was stationed at Bitburg during the Reagan visit and stopped by that same cemetery a few days after Ronnie did. The flowers he placed there were still pretty fresh.

Someone also mentioned Bastonge, big "2" on that idea. The Bitburg/Spang area puts you in a great location for seeing historical sites/sightseeing.

If your big on the history WWI battlefields are worth a look to, especially up in Belgium.

We did go to Brussels, Bruges, and Amsterdam last spring. Took the Flanders Field tour out of Bruges. I would highly recommend anyone in the area doing that. We used a tour company (Quasimodo Tours) for a guided tour. I would highly recommend using them to anyone. The tour was extremely fast paced and I would have liked to have spent more time at some of the places but there just wasn't enough time in the day to spend a lot of time at any one place. We were there just about two months prior to the 100th anniversary of the start of WW1.

Any recommendations for a really good, must go to, authentic Bier Hall in the "area" around K-town, or in any of the towns we are likely to go to (Trier, Neuschwanstein, etc). I know most of K-town probably won't be as authentic as I would like and probably overrun by Americans, but relatively nearby. We are all really into good beer and I would like to take the F-I-L to a good beer hall. I know there was a recommendation over in the "Last Beer You Drank..." thread for one in Munich but I doubt we are going to make it there on this trip.

ETA: Ones with hott chicks in Dirndls are a plus and will likely end up with pictures on here when we return.

Edited by HerkFE

A fun day trip you can take the kids too and drink... Kruzburg monastery down by Wierzburg. It's in a beautiful area up on a hill in the woods. They have great traditional German food and brew a spectacular dark beer.

Great place to spend an afternoon relaxing and eating or walking the paths around it.

Heidelberg! Neuschwanstein! Drive some laps on the Nurburgring!

Nurburgring is mostly closed in the winter. You can buy a tshirt at the gift shop but I'd wait until spring when the they remove the three feet of snow from the track.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk