USMC aviator to UFRC/ANG w/ waiver

cane53

This may be more or a procedural question than an medical question, but it has a couple of facets.

Background: I'm a 34 year current and qualified USMC tactical jet aviator with no USN waivers. I have 20/17 vision and am currently in a flying status. I'm in the process of ending my current contract and switching to either the an AFRC unit or an ANG unit. I've been offered a job with an AFRC unit, so they are running my flight physical up through AFRC(as far as I understand it). When I completed my flight physical the optometrist identified that I demonstrate a topographical pattern suggestive of keratoconus in one eye. Considering that I'm already a "trained" aviator they ran and to my understanding have approved a waiver. They did the Marfans screening, ect.

Let's assume the waiver is approved through AFRC, and I am offered a job with a Guard Unit(the job I really want). Will the Guard Bureau accept my flight physical without any further consideration or will I have to go through all of this again?

The reason I ask is that the Navy/Marine transition to the blue side is a paperwork nightmare that takes almost a year. If I have to go through all of this again with the ANG I might just stick with AFRC because the time to transition might be tight.

​I appreciate the help

Had the exact same thing. Went to Wright Pat and all is well. Aerospace Consultant Service will work it and they are the highest authority. They'll keep you flying. Don't worry and take your free trip to Dayton. Nothing to worry about

That all really depends on the clearance you're getting.

(Replace) 6.24.7.1. Pilots of fighter, rotary wing, fixed wing (non-fighter) aircraft transferring from sister service to an equivalent weapon system in the Air Force are considered trained assets. Air Force FCII standards apply. Complete all requirements for pilot’s age IAW PHA and ASIMS guidelines. This FCII physical will be entered into PEPP for baseline comparison and into AIMWTS if flying waiver required.

(Add) 6.24.7.2. Pilots of fighter, rotary wing, and fixed wing (non-fighter) transferring to AF from a different type of weapon system are not considered trained assets. Flying Class I standards apply. These pilots would require initial FCI physical and successful completion of MFS. This FCI physical will be entered into PEPP and into AIMWTS if flying waiver required.

If you do indeed need a FCI because you are changing aircraft types, then the MFS eval at WPAFB will include any waiver consideration at ACS. Essentially, this fast-tracks your waiver approval process. Though the TDY to WPAFB is obviously not a quick thing in itself, a MFS clearance is AF-level and is accepted by all MAJCOM/SG's.

If you are only getting a FCII, then you won't need to go to MFS. Your clearance will route lower at just the MAJCOM level, meaning to AFRC/SG. If you decide to switch to ANG, then the gaining State/SG would determine whether they will accept the AFRC clearance or not. AFI 48-123 Attch 2 shows the differing certification and waiver authorities, and it means that the ANG/SG is not obligated to accept an AFRC/SG certification. Now, don't think that means they wouldn't. In practice, they likely would, however the severity and specifics of your waiver will heavily dictate that decision. It's another level of review. If they don't like it, they'll have your supporting MTF re-route the package to the correct certifier, and they'll re-disposition it.

So that's worst case-scenario, assuming you only get a FCII. I can't speak to how ANG/SG functions. Perhaps they'll accept it, maybe not.

I'd like to close with this aphorism: It's hard to make predictions, especially about the future.