Any recent Envoy pilots?

summe32c

I was at Eagle 6 years ago, wasn't a fan then, things have probably become worse. I left to go to other places. In my opinion, there are much better regionals to go to right now then Envoy. If the attractant is Flow, you might want to rethink that, as a new hire it could be a very very long time to flow. If you are a military flyer, theoretically you could get hired at AA off the street before you'd ever have a chance to flow at Envoy, if you play your cards right, or so I am told.... If it is bases, I don't think they announced where their 40 -170s will be based in the future yet, so today's bases could be different later. Also they are loosing airplanes as of right now, with a chance of more then 40 ERJ-170, maybe. And since you asked, reserve sucks pretty much at any regional, so a place where you can hold a line at quickly would be great. Places I'd look into are TSA, Compass, and PSA, since they are adding aircraft right now and can seem to staff their airline for the time being. You asked for current Envoy dudes, so take my info with a grain of salt.

Edited by kbronc

I just started training with another regional that primarily flies in the northwest. One person in my class is an ex-envoy FO who spent 7 years there, and another in the class ahead of me. I also know a buddy of mine who just bailed to start over at Compass. My guess is that they're hemorrhaging pilots for a reason, beware.

One guy I know who was there left in the middle of his class to go to Compass.

My view: if you're breathing and have your ATP written complete, you'll qualify.

Checks, I interviewed in October and got offered a job. Interview was low threat...if you're coming from mil experience, you should have no problem. I declined the offer in favor of a more lucrative opportunity.

Any suggestions on better regionals? I hear compass thrown around at the SQ quite a bit. "I hear" is great, but actual hands on knowledge is better... Either way, I'm pretty excited to get a start and open a new chapter. Ready to get back to Texas if I can.

Cheers to you MF's. Always been helpful since I was a wannabe till now... A rated wannabe...

Edit: noted PSA, Compass bumps above.

Edited by summe32c

Any suggestions on better regionals?

"All regionals suck equally" was the advice I got when looking, and I certainly believe it. My advice, pick the one that will cause you the least ass pain. If you're lucky enough to live where there's a base for one or more regionals, stick with those. If you're going to commute no matter who you fly for, find the most pain-free commute you can*, then stick with those carriers. Don't be bought off with snake-oil ("flow" programs)--your goal is NOT to be around long enough to ever be eligible for those.

Also: I wouldn't rely (i.e., wait) on a regional job to get the ATP--get that on your own and apply directly to major/legacy carriers. If you're starting with Envoy (or whomever) in the next couple of weeks, that ship may have already sailed; if you're still active duty and talking several months or more down the road, put that time to use for yourself--unlike money, you can never get that back!--and get your apps in. I was lucky to bypass the regionals altogether (I'd applied in order to get 121 time & stay current; I got hired by a major before my regional class date arrived)... but, I had my ATP in-hand. The time/money you spend on the ATP (time is small; money, less small, but still insignificant when viewed as part of the big picture) will be MORE than recouped if you get hired even a month sooner at your "target" legacy airline....

Good luck!

* I recently saw CommutAir (EWR & IAD bases, I think) has some sort of paid-commuting (I assume that means postive space & a hotel room) program. I know NOTHING about the company, so I am NOT making any sort of recommendation for/against; just passing some info you may find helpful.

• Upvote 1

New hire at my 135 company just left Envoy. The pay was ridiculous and bordered on pay to play when he factored in the cost of a crash pad. Put it this way, I can make more as a substitute teacher working 20 days a month than he was flying 75 hrs at Envoy. There are a LOT of good Part 135 opportunities that pay better than even the 1-3 year at the legacies if you're looking for a decent way to build some time without starving.

Edited by lj35driver

Envoy is probably on the way to becoming an AAG services company. That was a rumor I had heard from others around here...that eventually it'll be just a bunch of express ticket agents and rampers and the flying will be moved to PSA and Piedmont. They are getting new airplanes, but I think eventually both the working environment there (unable to attract anyone) and the overall staffing issues at the regionals in general will see the end of what was American Eagle.