Separating from Active duty, does disability affect ability to fly or xfer units?

So I found out that either 0 or 30% disability will get you your VA funding fee waived. My first goal is to expedite my VA claim because I close in approx ~60 days. Does anyone know if this is possible? Like how fast a fully developed claim takes? What is my fastest option to get even a 0% disability rating?

Second concern, is that disability rating disclosed to anyone? I am currently in the guard, does that have to be disclosed to the flt doc? Does a 10% disability rating for say slight hearing loss, or the knee pain i sustained from an injury a couple years ago prevent me from now flying or if I decide to switch units, will that unit scrutinize such a rating even if I have been flying with it for the last 3 years (can egress, pass a hearing test, etc?)

thanks for the help. Kind of on a time crunch on this one (stupid me).

I can't speak to the second part of this regarding the Guard, etc. That said, on the first part regarding the funding fee...my honest opinion is that I would be extremely surprised if a claim would be able to be finished in 60 days. It may happen, but it's really luck of the draw.

However, the VA will refund your funding fee (after you apply for it) as long as the claim date (i.e. the date you filed) is before the closing date on your house. If you pay the funding fee in cash, you will receive a check. If you roll it into part of the loan, then it will come off the principal amount (but you'll still have the higher payment as a result of the higher original loan amount).

I had a 10% VA rating when I joined the AF Reserve (2.5yrs of .civ time ["broken time"] after leaving the other service). From the medical standpoint, I told everyone who asked, and disclosed it everywhere the question was asked in writing, in the interest of honesty (against my recruiter's advice, I might add). Aside from a couple extra questions from the flight doc during my initial flight physical, it didn't affect my enlistment/flight status.

HOWEVER...

At some point a few years ago, the VA apparently reviewed my case and changed my rating to 0%, based on my continued service. If you need to maintain a specific percentage for something (vocational training, etc.), keep this in mind.

*** ETA: I wouldn't expect the VA to do ANYTHING quickly. It'll be a nice surprise if it does happen, but I wouldn't count on it.

I just re-read the OP's questions, and what I've written doesn't really answer them. Posting anyway, in the interest of providing a data point.

Edited by JarheadBoom

So I found out that either 0 or 30% disability will get you your VA funding fee waived. My first goal is to expedite my VA claim because I close in approx ~60 days. Does anyone know if this is possible? Like how fast a fully developed claim takes? What is my fastest option to get even a 0% disability rating?

timeline for adjudicated VA claim depends on which VA you've filed with. As an example, I have friends who have been waiting anywhere from one to several years. I, on the other hand, had a fully adjudicated claim in 8 weeks, because the Southern Arizona VA (aka Tucson) is awesome. Have you already filed your claim paperwork?

My timeline: filed paperwork at the assistance office on base, 5 weeks later had appointment at the VA hospital for the exams, 3 weeks after that I got a letter in the mail detailing the results/decisions for my claimed service-connected medical issues, and a week after that I had my first check electronically deposited in my bank account for the back pay to my DOS.

• Upvote 1

Since this wasn't in the medical forum, I just skimmed your post before replying. What is the deal with these medical type questions all over the place? Anyway, I won't yank it to the sub forum because your two question are more administrative than medical.

For your first question, my first reply is all I can say. For your second, to my knowledge, no, the number itself is not disclosed to any outside agencies until there is a need. Because you are already in, the Air Force apparently has already bought you, so the admin stuff is irrelevant. HOWEVER, your condition does matter. You must disclose whatever develops if it could affect your ability to fly. Again, stressing on the could--you don't get to make that judgement call. If the condition has the possibility, then you must self report it, despite your own opinion of the condition. The possible waiver is a bigger concern than the disability rating for your flying career, and I imagine your disability is pretty significant of your aiming north of 30%.

Edited by deaddebate

• 6 months later...

Second concern, is that disability rating disclosed to anyone? I am currently in the guard, does that have to be disclosed to the flt doc? Does a 10% disability rating for say slight hearing loss, or the knee pain i sustained from an injury a couple years ago prevent me from now flying or if I decide to switch units, will that unit scrutinize such a rating even if I have been flying with it for the last 3 years (can egress, pass a hearing test, etc?)

From what I have heard... 30% is the magic number. But I have not seen this anywhere in a reg. The question I have is I am looking at going as a DSG on full-time orders in hopes that I get picked up for an AGR at some point. Because of this, I have held off on medical appointments for my back, ears, etc as I don't want to raise any flags. Do I still get to re-attack at the end of service for disability? Or is that going to be decided when I leave AD and go to the Guard?