ROTC instructor?

lunchbox

Gents,

Time to figure out my next assignment, seeking insights.

First tour was as slick nav, 2nd has been in flight test.

Will be moving right at my 10 year mark, 9 months or so after Major's board.

Mobility mission I knew is pretty much gone. Could go to Pensacola, AFSOC, or ACC to keep flying, but I know staff is coming sooner or later.

Considering option of instructing at ROTC. I think it'd be rewarding (in a different way), fun, stable, and conducive to family time & hobbies.

Anyone know what happens to aviators after a tour instructing? If it means never returning to cockpit, that might be a deal breaker.

Unless something has changed very recently, rated guys can't go to ROTC except as a Det/CC. USAFA may be an option.

I'm assuming you haven't hit your second flying gate considering you're just now hitting 10 years in the AF. Probably going to be tough to get released to go to a non-flying job that isn't somehow related to flying/ops - i.e. a rated billet on a staff may be possible, but going to instruct at USAFA/SOS/OTS is probably going to be a lot tougher.

As a rated guy, you can't go to ROTC unless you get released to compete as an O-5 ROTC CC (O-6 assignments in the AF are not handled by the regular functional). I'm sure there are waivers (there are for everything), but unless it's for humanitarian reasons, it probably isn't going to happen.

BL: Research what rated staff jobs are available for your AFSC and compete for one of those.

Didn't realize! Could have sworn I read a CSAF speech encouraging everyone to instruct at some point. I changed 'functionals' moving to AFMC - assumed everything was on the table.

Prefer to clear up misconceptions here than to sound dumb in front of my Commander.

Didn't realize! Could have sworn I read a CSAF speech encouraging everyone to instruct at some point. I changed 'functionals' moving to AFMC - assumed everything was on the table.

Prefer to clear up misconceptions here than to sound dumb in front of my Commander.

Did you graduate from TPS? If not, your functional (whoever sits at that desk) hasn't changed if you're still on active flying status. You could do a tour with AETC, AFMC, AFOTEC, USAFA, etc and your functional remains the same. Besides, if you were a TPS grad, I bet they would be even less likely to release you to ROTC.

And you could always do your instructional tour while instructing with your airframe (or UNT) in AETC. Though if you're at the 11 year point when moving, I would avoid an AETC line job when you move if you want your best chance to get promoted and instead try to get a staff/staff equivalent type job at a NAF/MAJCOM somewhere (or even higher). Not saying the AETC line job is the kiss of death, just not the preferred place to meet the board, unless you were a school select on your O-4 board in which case you're fine anyway. Then again, if you're not worried about being as competitive as you can for O-5, then definitely go where you'll be happiest.

Not to be a dick, but do you have someone you know who can explain this all to you face to face (or via phone) vs a bunch of random dudes on BO? Don't get me wrong, I and the others are happy to help out in any way we can, but it sounds like someone has left you hanging during this entire process. I'm not big into the 'mentor' thing just because big blue talks about it, but rather because having someone who can provide you with sound career advice allows you to not get screwed by the system. Just curious...

ETA: On second thought, are you a 05' YG guy? With the O-4 board being pushed back a year, does this mean these guys will meet the IPZ PRF Accounting Date for O-5 not at the 13 year mark but a year later? (I'm guessing so?). I don't have the matrix with all the dates in front of me. Either way, I still would avoid your PRF Accounting Date for IPZ to O-5 being as a line guy with AETC if you can find a staff type job. Guys get promoted out of Wing Safety and Wing Exec jobs, for sure, but there's only a few of those jobs, and it gets a little tougher at the Wing to show progression. For all the older grey beards on here, correct me if I'm giving out bad info. Cleared Hot and Learjetter??

Edited by HeloDude

No TPS; no visibility on handoffs between slick & green-door functionals. Have discussed informally with a few buddies in squadron, but there's only a handful of us and none have investigated.

Will have a face-to-face with Commander soon to discuss options. Wanted to do homework first, and expected the broad experience base of forum would be a better sounding board than all the guys I know who went from herks to MAJCOM staff. I suppose it's the standard path for good reason, though.

I'm '06 - last I looked at mypers, it said I would meet 2020 IPZ (14 years). Thanks for advice, I'll take a closer look at my timeline to try and avoid wrong place/time.

Rog--good luck. To be honest, I'm fairly ignorant on how the green door world works in terms of assignments afterwards/out of there, so when it corms to that realm, I definitely could be wrong. If you crossflowed to AFSOC and got Hurlburt, then you could potentially PCA to the staff a year or two out from your primary IPZ to O-5. Try talking to some older Navs you knew from a few years ago and ask them.

Good words...

...correct me if I'm giving out bad info. Cleared Hot and Learjetter??

Can't speak for Cleared Hot...but I didn't read anything wrong with your words.

Every officer's career path is unique and special...just like everyone else's.

My standard advice: try to do what you want to do on each assignment: that was your motivation to get to UPT/UNT--to get to fly--and that motivation got you where you wanted to be.

Look around at your former peers and at your former shop Chiefs/Flt CCs..where are they now? Are they doing what they love? Are they doing what you want to be doing? If so, follow them...if not, choose another path.

I think it's great you're looking for options...but, bottom line, first figure out what you want to go do...then ask your Cc to help you get it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 4 years later...

Holy thread resurrection...but I UTFSF to find something applicable.

I've got an assignment as an ROTC instructor at Indiana University.  Curious if other folks have done similar gigs.  My biggest questions are about how to do the admin stuff when I'm not stationed at a base.  I figure I'll have to make the 3-hour drive to Wright-Patt once a year for a flight physical.  Just curious if anyone knows how stuff like finance inprocessing works, who is the servicing TMO office for the move, where do my flight records go while I'm not stationed at a base...

Once I have university approval for the assignment, I'll contact the Det/CC directly.  Just hoping some folks here have done the GSU thing before and have some insight.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, pawnman said:

I've got an assignment as an ROTC instructor at Indiana University.  Curious if other folks have done similar gigs.  My biggest questions are about how to do the admin stuff when I'm not stationed at a base.  I figure I'll have to make the 3-hour drive to Wright-Patt once a year for a flight physical.  Just curious if anyone knows how stuff like finance inprocessing works, who is the servicing TMO office for the move, where do my flight records go while I'm not stationed at a base...

Once I have university approval for the assignment, I'll contact the Det/CC directly.  Just hoping some folks here have done the GSU thing before and have some insight.

Congrats, hopefully your excited. I'd be stoked, from what I've heard these are great laid back assignments. Maybe you'll keep in the O-5 fight too with the changes rolling out. No idea about your admin questions though, sorry.

37 minutes ago, GoodSplash9 said:

Congrats, hopefully your excited. I'd be stoked, from what I've heard these are great laid back assignments. Maybe you'll keep in the O-5 fight too with the changes rolling out. No idea about your admin questions though, sorry.

I'm working it.  The WG/CC is supportive of trying for APZ.  He had me do an OPR last week to put another, better WG/CC strat in front of the board this year.

In all honesty, though, the ROTC job is making me much happier than APZ O-5 would.  But if I can get both...

3 hours ago, MT near said:

Are you active duty? Did you volunteer for this assignment? Curious minds would like to know.

Active duty, not just a volunteer but had to go through the new boarded process they just started this year.

5 hours ago, pawnman said:

I just got done with a staff gig where I was GSU.  There should be an MOA with the closest AF base for stuff like maintaining your flight records, flight physical, PCS actions, TMO, etc.  Whatever your closest AF base is should pay for your yearly TDY for your flight physical (I’d highly advise you take advantage of this versus trying to have civilian docs piece one together, there’s a good chance something will get fucked up).  Your dental can be done local by a dentist that accepts Tricare, there’s a single form you fill out and then send to your base dental.  Hope this helps, PM me with any other questions.