ANG/AFRES Path to Wings-Non Prior.

Good day, aviators.

I do not wish to ask extraneous or unnecessary questions, but am looking for some guidance. I want to know how to improve my chances of flying in the ANG/AFRES. I have done extensive research, and found WantsCheck.com to be a gold mine of great info! I have a few more questions for more qualified and personal advice:

Lil' background info: about halfway to my undergrad major here in Kansas City. I have a near-impeccable GPA, and am studying English. (Bare with me lol) As of right now, I don't see how I could possibly have the $3K to obtain a PPl. I'm also aware my chances of having a good enough packet to get an interview would be a killer AFOQT and BAT score(s). Since the AFOQT can be studied for, I think I can perform very well. I anticipate my non-technical major being an issue as well.

I've been yearning to accomplish this for years. I have many other ambitions as well, which is why I am interested in part-time service. I remain ambitious, yet also realistic. Please let me know if you all have suggestions, critique, or additional helpful information. Thanks for reading!

at the risk of being burned at the stake, WC isnt a terrible place to get some information and its good to soak up all the intel you can.

that being said, you need to look at your information sources and the schizophrenic caped-crusaders that may or may not post it

Everyone seems to think there is some secret to getting hired but there isn't. Heres all you can do:

1. Do your best in college

2. Do well on the AFOQT/TBAS

3. Private license highly recommended

4. Call/rush units and apply everywhere

5. Don't be a tool

6. Get lucky and get hired

There isn't really anything you or anyone is going to do to increase their chances. Bust your ass as much as you're willing to and let timing/luck take over from there.

Edited by Kenny Powers

Haha!! Thanks for the replies.. I get the vibe WC may not be the best source of information? I guess I assumed it to be credible since it was written by "someone who has been through the process personally." Perhaps extensive wasn't extensive as it should have been, and the source could be 'one-sided'.

Get PPL, noted. 3K an extremely rough estimate, probably more between 5 and 7 realistically. I actually spoke with a pilot whom I've known for years who flies at Whiteman AFB about 40 miles from here, and he suggested against getting a PPL because "military flying is much different than civilian flying". Out of the several pilots I've heard from though, he is the only one who suggested this. Maybe his view is different since he was Academy commissioned, but who knows.

Fellow English major here. Unless you plan on getting your PPL with Marty McFly in 1985, you will need much more than 3k for your PPL. I got mine last year and spent just under 8k--which included ground school, books, test and check ride fees, 50 hours @ $135/hour (wet and with an instructor) at an AF aero club where the cost is usually significantly lower than a civilian flight school. 40 hours is the minimum training requirement. I advise people to have 10k set aside to pay for it all, and if they train wisely they won't go anywhere near that. You can save money by buying used books off of Amazon and doing the ground school online (I used Jeppesen's program). You will also want to set aside a good chunk of time (ideally 2-3 months at a minimum) to focus on training. You don't want to do your flying training and be studying for finals and other school-related stuff. Unlike school, you need to focus and really know your shit...not knowing and not doing gets people killed in aviation. Additionally, by doing all of your flying at once you'll learn faster, which directly translates into big time savings. If you take time off, you'll just have to spend expensive hours re-learning what you should already know.

Don't worry about your major, do the things that Kenny Powers said, and a big HELL YES to getting your PPL. Pilot slots are competitive and your unit needs to see that you have the aptitude and discipline required to operate a plane. You also need to know that this is indeed what you want to do. I'm a nav on active duty who is about to transition to the Reserves and go to UPT, and I'm glad I got mine. Good luck and PM me if you want more info.

I know it's been said several times, but if you want to go to UPT, get your PPL. Period. When it comes down to it, ask yourself is going to UPT worth $10K?

The biggest thing for the PPL costs IMHO...just call aero clubs and ask what their pricing is. Yes, some are upwards of $6-9K. I got mine a handful of years ago in Destin FL, which is not known for its low prices on anything, and I didn't break $4K start to finish. That being said, plan for it to be more expensive like Sally said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by hispeed7721

From another aspect, something to think about: when you apply to the AD AF, you do so via a large administrative system that is interested in accessions, but the people you work with in the process have little to no personal interest in the eventual outcome. Not so when applying to ANG/AFRES units. You are applying to a specific unit (or units) with whom you will have to work and interact both professionally and socially for years, and potentially for decades. That fact adds some factors that applying to the AF doesn't normally include. Yes, its a military organization, but its also a bit like applying to a "country club", where social interaction and personal relationships are an immediate consideration (possibly even with family members, if you attend any gathering with members and their families). Think about your social skills a little and remember that every person you meet in the process, formal interviewers, guys in the waiting room or bar, family members you run into in the lobby, etc., all have a potential to make a formal or informal input about you to other members of the unit. Just a word to the wise...

I can't believe it - all these replies without... I mean it's a softball... C'mon guys. Reread the original post and bring your A-game.

...UTFSF?

...wantscheck is run by a deranged meme-posting lunatic?

...Tell us about yourself?

...da-da da-da DUM-DUM...

Which one of those should have been the best lead off?

Edited by 10percenttruth

...UTFSF?

...wantscheck is run by a deranged meme-posting lunatic?

...Tell us about yourself?

...da-da da-da DUM-DUM...

Which one of those should have been the best lead off?

Good day, aviators.

I do not wish to ask extraneous or unnecessary questions

but you do anyways

I have done extensive research, and found WantsCheck.com to be a gold mine of great info!

If by gold mine, you mean run by a one man show where you post your skewed vision of what the air force SHOULD be, meanwhile you drive around in your POS eclipse being a general douchenozzle terrorizing local cops as a sociopathic one man constitution crusader in a car that is designed to electrocute anyone who touches the door.

Lil' background info: about halfway to my undergrad major here in Kansas City. I have a near-impeccable GPA, and am studying English. (Bare with me lol) As of right now, I don't see how I could possibly have the $3K to obtain a PPl. I'm also aware my chances of having a good enough packet to get an interview would be a killer AFOQT and BAT score(s). Since the AFOQT can be studied for, I think I can perform very well. I anticipate my non-technical major being an issue as well.

RTFA

10percent is that better ? ;)

KClove - if you can handle the chop busting on this forum youre well on your way :)

• Upvote 1

Good day, aviators.

I do not wish to ask extraneous or unnecessary questions, but am looking for some guidance. I want to know how to improve my chances of flying in the ANG/AFRES. I have done extensive research, and found WantsCheck.comto be a gold mine of great info! I have a few more questions for more qualified and personal advice:

Trust me man, brevity will be key where you want to go.

Lil' background info: about halfway to my undergrad major here in Kansas City. I have a near-impeccable GPA, and am studying English. (Bare with me lol) As of right now, I don't see how I could possibly have the $3K to obtain a PPl. I'm also aware my chances of having a good enough packet to get an interview would be a killer AFOQT and BAT score(s).

FWIW, I've only heard of one unit interviewing off the street sans PPL. Your PCSM will jump with even a couple hours of flight training. The AFOQT might ask what color taxi lights are...freebies if you've had any training at all. It's Test of Basic Aviation Skills (TBAS).

I've been yearning to accomplish this for years. I have many other ambitions as well, which is why I am interested in part-time service. I remain ambitious, yet also realistic (huh?) Please let me know if you all have suggestions, critique, or additional helpful information. Thanks for reading!

Yearning? gross.

Get all those pre reqs knocked out. The PPL has got to happen unless you want to reconsider active duty. When you get the interview, approach it as if flying sweet aircraft were incidental to the job...i.e. have a good answer for why you want to be a military officer (not saying you don't, just please don't be that candidate who makes their answer up on the spot...taint pretty).

Learn to grin and bear the tune-ups along the way. Aspects of this process and training are unpleasant and they will change you...but it's for the best and 100% worth your effort. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Fellow English major here. Unless you plan on getting your PPL with Marty McFly in 1985, you will need much more than 3k for your PPL. I got mine last year and spent just under 8k--which included ground school, books, test and check ride fees, 50 hours @ $135/hour (wet and with an instructor) at an AF aero club where the cost is usually significantly lower than a civilian flight school. 40 hours is the minimum training requirement. I advise people to have 10k set aside to pay for it all, and if they train wisely they won't go anywhere near that. You can save money by buying used books off of Amazon and doing the ground school online (I used Jeppesen's program). You will also want to set aside a good chunk of time (ideally 2-3 months at a minimum) to focus on training. You don't want to do your flying training and be studying for finals and other school-related stuff. Unlike school, you need to focus and really know your shit...not knowing and not doing gets people killed in aviation. Additionally, by doing all of your flying at once you'll learn faster, which directly translates into big time savings. If you take time off, you'll just have to spend expensive hours re-learning what you should already know.

Don't worry about your major, do the things that Kenny Powers said, and a big HELL YES to getting your PPL. Pilot slots are competitive and your unit needs to see that you have the aptitude and discipline required to operate a plane. You also need to know that this is indeed what you want to do. I'm a nav on active duty who is about to transition to the Reserves and go to UPT, and I'm glad I got mine. Good luck and PM me if you want more info.

So which degree would be better to obtain, Aerospace Engineering, or chemistry?