AC-130 AFSOC Questions

spotmaxdog

Anything to suggest that the U is going away anytime soon?

Probably not.. things change.. U and W will be around some time. Why are you concerned about it going away? J will be here at some point... some day... as well.

Rather than looking specifically at the U model, try this:

1) look at the mission of the AC130 (generically, not specific to U vs W vs J) and the mission of the MC130...which would you like more?

2) Put on your sheet in that order

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

Rather than looking specifically at the U model, try this:

1) look at the mission of the AC130 (generically, not specific to U vs W vs J) and the mission of the MC130...which would you like more?

2) Put on your sheet in that order

What hispeed said.. I love the gunship mission and probably will not get the same job satisfaction ever again. PM me if you have specific questions about the mission.. there are lots of other AC bubbas here as well.

Yup. Hispeed, an update for you: while historically, you have been correct (leaving the 4th for other airframes didn't happen), that has completely reversed in the last 3 years. LOTS of people to the H and W (H is now gone, of course), and some to the U-28, and I even know one that went to CV-22s.

So for the UPT folks, as said before: I'd prioritize the AC-130 mission vs MC-130 mission, not the U/W/J/H variants for each. If you can't live without low level, don't go gunships. Our flying is real boring until it's time to shoot the guns/fire z missiles/bombs/etc. If you want to kill things, do.

And if getting sent to Cannon would put you on a suicide watch, don't come to AFSOC. I don't mean to be flippant; I hate Clovis as much as the next guy. It's just that right now, leadership is huge on sending people there, for both good and bad reasons.

If you've got any more questions, you can PM me. Like many on this thread, I have experience at HRT and CVS in multiple gunship platforms.

• Upvote 1

Caveat- I don't fly gunships. But the last 7 years in AFSOC has taught me that, assuming your luck and timing aren't terrible, switching between all platforms is possible. I've seen at least one of every type come through our SQ and our guys going every direction.

My personal opinion if you're choosing between AC & MC would be take the gunship. You can fly a low level anytime, but the fight is raging and ACs are bringing the hurt to our enemies. There will always be fun flying, but if you have any desire to actually fight you'll regret not scratching the itch. Good luck.

Yup. Hispeed, an update for you: while historically, you have been correct (leaving the 4th for other airframes didn't happen), that has completely reversed in the last 3 years. LOTS of people to the H and W (H is now gone, of course), and some to the U-28, and I even know one that went to CV-22s.

So for the UPT folks, as said before: I'd prioritize the AC-130 mission vs MC-130 mission, not the U/W/J/H variants for each. If you can't live without low level, don't go gunships. Our flying is real boring until it's time to shoot the guns/fire z missiles/bombs/etc. If you want to kill things, do.

And if getting sent to Cannon would put you on a suicide watch, don't come to AFSOC. I don't mean to be flippant; I hate Clovis as much as the next guy. It's just that right now, leadership is huge on sending people there, for both good and bad reasons.

If you've got any more questions, you can PM me. Like many on this thread, I have experience at HRT and CVS in multiple gunship platforms.

Pretty much dead on.. fwiw... I hate Cannon.. have been there 6+ years.. but wouldn't trade it for anything in the AF.

Caveat- I don't fly gunships. But the last 7 years in AFSOC has taught me that, assuming your luck and timing aren't terrible, switching between all platforms is possible. I've seen at least one of every type come through our SQ and our guys going every direction.

My personal opinion if you're choosing between AC & MC would be take the gunship. You can fly a low level anytime, but the fight is raging and ACs are bringing the hurt to our enemies. There will always be fun flying, but if you have any desire to actually fight you'll regret not scratching the itch. Good luck.

Classic. I don't fly gunships, but choose one because you can fly LL anytime... Blah blah blah. Not sure I follow.

Classic. I don't fly gunships, but choose one because you can fly LL anytime... Blah blah blah. Not sure I follow.

It doesn't affect anything in this thread but just an interesting factoid for those that didn't know...low level used to be a gunship proficiency requirement. It was eliminated some years ago but there was a half-hearted attempt to bring it back around 2010. It never went anywhere, but low level flight is not unheard of for a gunship. Of course, its modified contour procedures were much less aggressive than the MC,

I'll rephrase: if the dude wants to fly low levels, he can do it in a training environment. If he wants to shoot terrorists, that's only happening deployed. So decide what you want and choose accordingly was my advice. You disagree with that logic?

• 2 weeks later...

I was blessed enough to snag an AC in the drop. Tried finding some gouge on the LR schoolhouse and the pipeline after that, but it's all old. Anyone have any working knowledge of what happens after the Rock and what I can expect?

I was blessed enough to snag an AC in the drop. Tried finding some gouge on the LR schoolhouse and the pipeline after that, but it's all old. Anyone have any working knowledge of what happens after the Rock and what I can expect?

https://etca.randolph.af.mil/

After LR you'll go to HRT and the 19th to go through MQT with a full crew (all new going through MQT as well) and spend 4-5 months then go across the street to the 4th. If you've got specific questions about MQT or anything shoot me a PM

Umm, provided that he got a U-boat?

If you're in the OTHER boat(W), after LR you'll go to CVS for BQ/MQ at the 551st, which takes about the same amount of time once you start. They're REALLY backed up though, so YMMV. Then across the flightline to the 16th. Same as hispeed said otherwise.

Yeah. And the lack of training shows when they get to the 19/551. Whoever thought trying to teach a new CP to fly a plane . . . without flying a plane . . . is a blithering idiot. Yes, I'm looking at you, AMC leadership. And you, AETC morons who implemented it.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

To add on to the discussion about LR: AC-130W navs don't even go to LR anymore. The ones who did were assigned the H but got reclassed to the W since the H is retired now. I was talking with some of my EC-130 nav bros and they go to LR...they don't even use SCNS. They get to the EC FTU and have to relearn everything (I think they use something called CANS?) while the W navs do use SCNS and get shit on at the 551st because they don't know how to use SCNS at all when they first get there. Shit's ass backwards.