AC-130 AFSOC Questions

spotmaxdog

I'm in UPT right now about 3 weeks out from drop. One of my dream planes is the AC-130 out of Hurlbert but I'm having some friction with my wife about the deployment schedule and what AFSOC does to family life.

During our MWS brief, we had a major (not AFSOC) come up and tell the wives that AFSOC kills families and that if we were to go to a AFSOC platform you'd better be single or you'll wind up being single. Obviously this freaked my wife out and she went from "meh" to "hell no".

I'd like to hear some opinions from people that have been in AFSOC or have flown the AC. What's the deployments like? Does it kill marriages? Will I miss every single milestone of my soon to be conceived firstborn?

Thanks a lot. If this is in the wrong forum, please delete or move to the appropriate one.

The gunship squadron at HRT is an amazing squadron in this guys opinion. I absolutely loved it there.

In the past, there was a definite tempo that made it hard on families and some of the mass pushes to Cannon also did a number on families. That being said, for the time I was there, things got much better. There is still a very high ops tempo, which in almost every respect is awesome if you actually want to be doing what the AC is designed to do. But the squadron has done a much better job of making sure the ops requirements and individual family requirements are more in sync.

If you want specific details WRT deployments or anything like that, PM me a .mil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by hispeed7721

Have been afsoc since 2008. It's not an easy road but it has been rewarding.

In your career you can be a part of the people who say "build it and then we will come. " In afsoc you will find yourself building it and either loving it or hating it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunships have always been and will always be a high demand low density asset. As a result the Ops tempo can be higher than most, especially in times of conflict (always). That being said, there are other platforms that have a higher ops tempo. Gunship squadrons tend to be very tight and the families have a strong social structure that provides balance and support when you are gone. Having done this gig for a long time, if she is a reasonable woman, she will be just fine.

If you've put all this work into becoming a pilot, I would suggest you follow your dreams.

Honestly you will miss kid milestones, birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, etc. no matter what you fly. No matter what MDS, you'll deploy, do a bunch of TDYs, etc...you will not avoid it. So that said, do what CH suggested and go for the dream; do the job you think you would enjoy most, then being gone doesn't seem as bad. Tell your wife in all honesty your aircraft on assignment night does not make your life together better or worse. She should not put a lot of stock in the words of those who are bitter and attempt to make something sound like a bad deal when its not.

• Upvote 1

What he said. You can apply all that negative horseshit to just about any platform/community in the AF; the entire force is LDHD (except white jets I suppose). BTW, can you tell said Major that Spoo says he's an ass?

• Upvote 1

Shack on the above posts. I left ACC 5 years ago when people said the same stuff. Difference is, you get shit done in AFSOC. You'll also find >50% of what u hear from spouses is...well inflated or outright incorrect. After 15 some odd deployments my wife and I hate each other the same as the day we got married. Being in AFSOC is what you (and your wife to a certain degree) make it.

Orrrrrrr screw it, go fly tankers and regret it the rest of your life...

Cooter

PS - lots of love tanker guys, don't read anything into it

• Upvote 2

I'll echo what has been said, being in the AF you will miss family milestones. That said, if you follow your heart and accept what lot in life you get you'll be happier overall. If you're a bitter asshole, it will migrate into your family life. Your family will be much happier if when you are home, you're happy.

Follow your dreams, bloom where you are planted, always remember that 20 years down the line when you retire, the AF gets kicked to the curb but your family remains, but you and your family should have had fun along the way.

Not a gunship guy, but 6 years in AFSOC. Huge foul on anyone not ASW a community to speak about it. Yes you'll deploy, but there are worse OPTEMPOs and if you love your job life will be easier on the home front. I don't like being apart from my family either-- but it's manageable and I do get a lot of off time when I'm home and I get to lead in combat and kill America's enemies. If you have that itch, you'll regret not scratching it.

• Upvote 1

During our MWS brief, we had a major (not AFSOC) come up and tell the wives that AFSOC kills families and that if we were to go to a AFSOC platform you'd better be single or you'll wind up being single.

the military tends to accelerate divorces, it probably deserves some of the blame... but from my experiences with divorcees in the military it simply uncovered what would have driven them apart eventually.
  • Upvote 1

we had a major (not AFSOC) come up and tell the wives that AFSOC kills families and that if we were to go to a AFSOC platform you'd better be single or you'll wind up being single.

Tell your wife that guy isn't part of the community and that he has no business saying that. He should have stayed in his lane. The fact that he didn't tells you everything you need to know about his credibility. If she can accept that cool. If not you have a long road ahead of you.

Plus the MWS briefs at UPT are all out dated information anyway in regards to lifestyle. Ops tempo changes constantly and all the info they have is usually AT LEAST 18 months-3 years old. Not to mention a lot of the "quality of life" comes down to leadership at your base-unit level, and there is no way anyone at UPT can predict any of that.

Agree with all. I'm not a Gunship guy, but I am an AFSOC dude.

The only differing perspective I have is that my wife and I have grown closer with all of these deployments and and being gone so much. It's honestly like how you're still close to your bros from UPT 10 years later or the guys you played football with in high school. You go through challenging circumstances together, it reveals the character of the other person, and you grow from it.

And finally, attitude will make or break an assignment. I know guys that were at Cannon and loved it and I know guys that couldn't wait to get out of Hawaii. If you show up with a crappy attitude, your experience will be crappy.

If your like doesn't like the idea of you flying a C-130 with a bunch of guns sticking out the side of it, she's probably a communist. (Kidding)

• Upvote 1

I agree with everyone here. Tonka is spot on. I'm in ACC and we are ALWAYS on the road...deployments, exercises, random TDYs for things like SOS, safety school...you name it. Coming at it from a different angle, keep in mind that a lot of well-paying professional jobs in the civilian world require long hours at the office and out-of-town travel. The military often requires the same demands of its people, too.

If Gunships is your dream, GO FOR IT.

As I have said several times on this forum, I love that airplane and forever owe it much gratitude.

However, if you like being a pilot and flying the airplane, go Talons. First mobility a/c into EVERY combat zone and HADR area for the last 13 years.

Standing by lame Gatorade/gym equipment joke from those who don't really get it...

• Upvote 1

Go with the mission and aircraft you think you're gonna love. Don't sweat anything else. Anywhere in AFSOC is gonna give you an awesome career puttin the hurt on bad guys, you'll be surrounded by some of the best people you'll end up meeting in your life.

• Upvote 1

It's an expensive piece of equipment that is basically fun to operate.

The downside is no matter where it's located, and just like the civvy world, they operate 24/7 365 without any regard to birthdays, first bike rides, anniversaries, ect.

Just covering the relationship side, zero knowledge of the job.

Follow your dream. If you've gotten this far, don't start putting conditions on it for the wifey unless she is a heart suregeon making $700K/year.

Unless your relationship is 1000 percent perfect (never have seen one and I've been married 25) the "held you back" feelings will come up in the future.

Go for it.

However, if you like being a pilot and flying the airplane, go Talons. First mobility a/c into EVERY combat zone and HADR area for the last 13 years.

Oh brother...like when the Talons tried not to fly into ORBI at night...then the shame when they found out the slicks were going in during the day.

Nice, but that was a Shadow. And they said it was because they were noncurrent on NVG landings so couldn't legally do it. Talons were first fixed-wing into Baghdad, plenty of video floating around to substantiate...

Don't hate CH, love.