DDR & illegal drug (ab)use

I couldn't find a recent or highly relevant thread for this topic. This thread can be for any drug abuse incidents or news stories that affect military personnel.

Biden’s Son Hunter Discharged From Navy Reserve After Failing Cocaine Test - http://online.wsj.com/articles/bidens-son-hunter-discharged-from-navy-reserve-after-failing-cocaine-test-1413499657

Joe Biden’s Son Hunter Biden Discharged From Navy After Positive Cocaine Test - http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/joe-bidens-son-hunter-biden-discharged-navy-positive/story?id=26257601

Biden's son discharged from Navy Reserve - http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2014/10/16/obama-joe-biden-hunter-biden-naval-reserves/17383469/

Edited by deaddebate

This completely kills my argument against random drug testing. I wonder how much we would save by getting rid of random drug testing and switching to only commander directed.

I had a conversation with a MAJCOM DDR program manager earlier this year. He told me about the rates of the Air Force testing compared with the rest of DOD and differences across Active, Reserve, and Guard. He said the numbers just don't support the concept of deterrence as the program is currently envisioned, and that we should fund and implement randomized testing to an effective 100% to 200% test rate annually. Testing over 200% is wasteful, but below 100% lets too much slide undetected. Define "too much" on your own (0.5%? 0.25%? 0.1%? etc), but we're not at 0%.

Fun fact: a fair number of Guardsmen/Reservists are secretly treated for various conditions through their civilian docs (mental health, pain management, etc) but hide it from the Air Force. Eventually they piss hot for a controlled medication and their careers are squashed pretty damn quick. Lesson: don't lie or hide medical treatment.

Edited by deaddebate

This completely kills my argument against random drug testing. I wonder how much we would save by getting rid of random drug testing and switching to only commander directed.

CC directed testing cannot be used for admin actions. Do you mean "unit sweeps" or something else?

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

Edited by Herk Driver

Fun fact: a fair number of Guardsmen/Reservists are secretly treated for various conditions through their civilian docs (mental health, pain management, etc) but hide it from the Air Force. Eventually they piss hot for a controlled medication and their careers are squashed pretty damn quick. Lesson: don't lie or hide medical treatment.

And if they have a prescription for said controlled medication, from their "secret" civilian doctor?

What if their civilian doctor is an MD, vice their joke of an AF DO "doctor"?