Stick or Yoke?

Guest whairdhugo?

Guest whairdhugo?

Is it true the 17's have sticks instead of yokes?

Anybody know where to find some cool cockpit photos (of anything non-civilian)?

Guest BlueSky99

At the Dayton Airshow last year, I took a few pictures from inside the C-17 that they had there. I'm pretty sure it was from Charleston if I remember correctly -- almost brand new.

My eyes shut, but you can see the stick and the cool HUD:

171.jpg

Left Side

172.jpg

Went to take this pic as I was leaving, and the random guy in the pilot's seat decided to look back and smile :confused:

173.jpg

Guest whairdhugo?

Nice!!! Thanks.

What kind of information is displayed on the HUD? I wasn't aware of their certification for aerial combat!

Guest AirGuardian

Airspeed, Altitude, Horizon reference, numerous bugs you use to orient yourself, landing ref, etc. Best part is that its collapseable - folds right on down...

Still looking for the "direct route to Hotels," bars, Island fever, and of course a 'pipper' to mess with the fast-burners out there - might want to shoot a radio call at them once in a while...

In addition to the items Airguardian listed, you also have the status information of your autopilot and auto-throttles, Radar Altimeter, Flight Director, etc. Some warnings will also show up, such as a Windshear Warning as well as Terrain. (the words Windshear or Terrain will flash) Probably the best part is the Flight Path Indicator (sometimes referred to as the Pig)

Guest whairdhugo?

Wow, I had no idea heavies had come so far! I know the performance is absolutely amazing as well, but what are the exact number? (t/o and ldg distances, climb rate, etc) And please do tell, how is she to fly?

I knew I liked the 17, but it is actually starting to give me a warm fuzzy...I think I have a new desired track! Since it's the new kid on the block, I'm assuming it is at the top of a lot of wish lists though.

What kind of information is displayed on the HUD? I wasn't aware of their certification for aerial combat!
I'm pretty sure the HUD is only certified (as a primary instrument) in the F-16. I know for a fact that it's the only fighter that has a certified HUD.

Guest C17AFPilot

The 11-2C-17 states:

C-17 HUD/MFD Endorsement. The C-17 MFD is certified as a single medium display, and may

be used as a primary flight reference (PFR). Due to the lack of a full-time attitude reference, the heads up display (HUD) is endorsed as a PFR as long as one primary flight display is present on an MFD.

Guest skipplet
Originally posted by BlueSky99:

Went to take this pic as I was leaving, and the random guy in the pilot's seat decided to look back and smile

That made me laugh out loud when I saw the picture. hahaha

It cracks me up when Toro makes his assumptions.

First he jams the poor Budda drivers telling them they are not a major weapon system. Now he tells them their HUD is not certified… please share some other nuggets from the mountain.

Not to get in a fighter/heavy pissing contest, but I don't see how a C-17 is a "Major Weapon System" - it's a cargo aircraft. I don't dispute the fact that they fly into hostile territory, but I'd be interested to see exactly how their WIC syllabus compares to that of the fighters. I can see this exercise working for a large force exercise where you've got troop and cargo drops, but I wouldn't see this incorporated into a Red Flag, which is primarily an attack/fighter/bomber weapons and tactics exercise.
A myopic view at best. Red flag is a scenario based exercise to give ALL players their first 10 mission and practice as a purple team. The last few Flags I flew in were close approximations of some of our recent conflicts…minus the big merge in the middle of Coyote, that we all know isn’t going to happen any time soon. Each Vul had the heavies running missions ranging from small-scale resupply to airfield seizure, all the way up to a forced entry airdrops.

it’s completely different. As a C-17 pilot, you do not employ those troops, you drop them off. When I employ my weapons, I mission plan. I study target imagery. I check weather to factor in winds and visibility for laser guided bombs. I check terrain to factor in potential for targeting pod masking. Airborne, my WSO hunts for the target in the radar and pod and when we’re sure we’ve got it, I release. The mission planning, weaponeering and radar scope interpretation are just some of the skills that are perfected at weapons school. This makes us a weapons system – WE employ the weapons.
Now that is funny. Once again you are showing your ignorance. Ever watched guys mission plan a 60 ship formation for a Big Drop? Low-level routes, threat deviations, winds for the airdrop...etc. Dude I don't do airdrop, but I spent three long years teaching at the WIC, and those guys were busting their humps with mission planning just like everyone else. You should sit through a Weapons School ME sometime and see if you come to the same conclusion.

I don’t normally spend my spare time defending the heavy drivers, but Toro’s attitude on this board has been off target and just plain bad for business.

Guest AirGuardian

Are you an instructor here? Being a student and leaving in a few months - which is nice, do you have a couple more years of AETC coming or going back to the "Fleet" soon? I'm in Seminar 7, Guard guy!

Originally posted by Clearedhot:

Now he tells them their HUD is not certified… please share some other nuggets from the mountain.

WTF? I wasn't telling anybody their HUD wasn't certified, I said I thought the F-16 was the only aircraft with a certified HUD, and that it definitely is the only fighter.

As far as the rest of your snips from the MWS discussion - way to show up with guns blazing to a fire that's not even smoldering any more. "The jerk stored called...and they're out of you!"

AirGuardian

Student like yourself seminar 1, no way I would stay at ACSC to instruct. Got picked up for SAW, so I am going to Quantico for another year of school. Hoping for a brief stint on the airstaff then back to fly. 7 June can't get here fast enough...

Yes I am late to the fight, because I don't spend me entire life on a message board. Doesn't change tha fact that your comments were dead wrong.

As far as the rest of your snips from the MWS discussion - way to show up with guns blazing to a fire that's not even smoldering any more. "The jerk stored called...and they're out of you!"
Great insult, did you get that from a Steve Martin movie? I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce.

Originally posted by Clearedhot:

Great insult, did you get that from a Steve Martin movie?

George Costanza from Seinfield. He gets all bent out of shape when somebody makes fun of him in front of a group of people, so he goes home and comes up with that response. When he presents it later on, it just isn't funny any more and nobody cares.

[ 31 January 2004, 00:52: Message edited by: Toro ]

Guest AirGuardian

Whoa there, gett'n off track again - let's stick to the facts if there are any concerning the previous question of certification!

So we have the T-38C listed now, what about the mudhen/15E's, no certs there? Just curious since it has the largest HUD in the inventory - true? Anyone, Bueler, Bueler?

Clearedhot - setting off some pretty poor nerves out there, guess you're getting pretty damn bored around here like I am. 127.43 days left and counting... I'll catch up with you later maaan!

[ 31 January 2004, 01:50: Message edited by: AirGuardian ]

Originally posted by AirGuardian:

So we have the T-38C listed now, what about the mudhen/15E's, no certs there? Just curious since it has the largest HUD in the inventory - true?

The 15E definitely does not have a certified HUD.

IAW AFI 11-202, a HUD can't be used as a Primary Flight Reference unless unless it has "full-time display of attitude, altitude, and airspeed information and the capability to recognize, confirm, and recover from unusual attitudes."

In every Instrument Refresher Course I've had since I started flying the Strike Eagle, they've foot-stomped the fact that our HUD is not certified as a PFR, along with the fact that the Viper is the only HUD that is...that's where that ASS-umption came from.

The C-17 HUD lacks a full-time attitude reference, which seems to directly conflict with 11-202 - maybe I'm missing something.

Originally posted by Toro:

WTF? I wasn't telling anybody their HUD wasn't certified, I said I thought the F-16 was the only aircraft with a certified HUD, and that it definitely is the only fighter.