ANG Officer to UPT

Hello,

I am looking for anyone who has some knowledge on this certain topic. I am very interested in flying within an Air National Guard unit. I am looking into enlisting within a unit because I know it will increase my chances for an interview and possibly being selected within the unit I join.

I recently graduated college this year with a BS degree. I am also looking at applying for an officer position within the unit. I have been told that it is harder to be selected for a UPT slot from being an officer already due to the "commitment I would have within the unit already," and what the unit would have already invested in me if I was chosen for an officer position with the unit compared to just being enlisted. Anyone who could enlighten me on this topic would be much appreciated.

Thanks

You should just look under the road to wings section under the main forum page, there's a number of threads that will give you insight. Honestly there's no magic trick to it. Depending on the unit, someone just out of college without flight experience can get hired, just for appearing to be a stand up guy who would be great to deploy with, On the other end you can have 2000hrs with an ATP and Masters degree. If you want to be a pilot, do everything you can to appear to be the best well rounded pilot. Personally I wouldn't delay years of doing another position, especially with UPT being such an age critical assignment or screwing over the shop your working in.

Im inclined to agree with rotoguy, depending on your age. It can be beneficial to first enlist with the unit you want to fly with but it doesn't guarantee you a UPT slot by any means. From what I understand, it is pretty difficult to get a non-rated officer position with the ANG as an off the street guy. If you are still young, I would recommend enlisting in an aircrew position (loadmaster, flight engineer, boom operator, etc.) with the unit you want and work towards your PPL. Try to get your PPL quickly once you get back from tech school, work your butt off in your enlisted job and prove to the pilots and CC that you are a good dude. Also make sure you let them know your intentions of becoming a pilot with them early on. Then you should be pretty well set, as long as you're not a douche. This is what I would have done if I were back in your shoes fresh out of college. The non-prior route worked for me but a few years later in life than I would have liked. Good luck