Sketch

So, long story short after 3 years ROTC didn't work out for me, so at this point my options are to enlist now or pursue a commission through OTS or the ANG/Reserves. I only have 2 years left before I finish my degree, which means I can start applying to OTS late next year. I realize its probably the most competitive route and currently there are no pilot slots for FY14/15. I'm 22 years old so I know time isn't an issue yet.

My question is, should I enlist and finish my degree on AD, or should I just finish my degree now and start applying to OTS? I'm not 100% excited about enlisting to be honest (I've spent the last 8 years pursuing officer programs) but I will do it wholeheartedly if it means increasing my chances of going to UPT someday. I do think that given the resources I have I will probably have a fairly strong package for OTS, but if there are no pilot slots should I still apply?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I had 1.5 years to apply and interview at guard/reserve units before I was too old. In that 1.5 years, there were close to 8 fighter boards I applied to, with 6 interviews, before being selected. On the heavy side, there were probably an additional 10 boards I could have applied to. Had to do some research -- individual unit websites, calling, emailing, keeping track of POCs, board dates, deadlines, etc. Since you're 22... do the math. A lot of opportunities.

Thanks for the replies. I'm weighing my options and it looks like right now guard/reserve is the best one, I would need to get some flight hours soon though to be competitive. Enlisting has its pros/cons but I'm not ready to make that determination right now.

However, since my ultimate goal is to go AD, (yes I know AD is worse), is it possible to start out in the guard/reserve as a pilot than transfer over? Can you go from one airframe in the guard to another on AD?

Do not enlist. Period. As competitive as OTS is for you, it'll be much more competitive when you're competing with other enlisted Airmen.

I'm AD and I love it, but apparently I'm in the minority based on much of what I read here. I've had good luck I guess.

Source: 4.5 years of college, then OTS.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!