Space Attack

ClearedHot

I agree that it's good to have backups, but a lot of this article seemed like a Locata sales pitch. The medium Earth orbit used for PNT satellites is great for being uncrowded, and the direct ascent ASAT threat isn't nearly has high or destructive in MEO. Additionally our new vehicles have safety of life signals on another band just for catastrophic events, because like the article mentioned, the world cannot function without GPS. A lot of people understand the value of the navigation signal, few realize that the timing signal is what basically the entire global economy depends on. Banks, cell towers, SATCOM satellites etc. all run off of the GPS timing signal.

Uplink jamming is an option, but that takes a lot of power, and that amount of power can be easily located.

Downlink jamming happens all the time. There's not a whole lot the average civilian user can do about that.

The space environment threat isn't nearly as bad as the article portrays it to be. It's much more of a concern to LEO satellites.

The real threat to all space systems these days is the cyber threat. Even still, it is incredibly unlikely that any organization/nation could affect the constellation to the degree that would cause operational failure.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

• Upvote 4

THIS explains all those Russians in Ukraine. Their SATNAV was broken. "Re-calculating..."

• Upvote 1

The real threat to all space systems these days is the cyber threat. Even still, it is incredibly unlikely that any organization/nation could affect the constellation to the degree that would cause operational failure.

So you're saying it should be AF Cyber command... with some Space as a NAF.

No, absolutely not. If DoD had money, space and cyber should both be independent services. The Army and Navy want this to happen already, because they feel the Air Force doesn't use resources effectively. They have been trying to take more of the space game for a while now, and they are both spending a bunch of money creating a space cadre to meet the needs of their services. The same is true to some extent with cyber. Since we don't have money, space and cyber should be separate MAJCOMs.

There is a time in the distant future when I could see the US having a space force, a cyber force, a conventional terrestrial force, and a special operations/clandestine terrestrial force.

There is a time in the distant future when I could see the US having a space force, a cyber force, a conventional terrestrial force, and a special operations/clandestine terrestrial force.

If the Army gets this one going, we could call them the "Starship Troopers". I like it.

The Army and Navy want this to happen already, because they feel the Air Force doesn't use resources effectively.

No.. that couldn't happen. Everyone like how their internet worked today? See, resources effectively used!

I'm not sure how in depth I want to get on our vulnerability mitigation, services hosted where, and the what not. I've been doing this 16 years and I'm still confused when I call a TSg "crew commander" and they tell me another service (ex. email) has moved to a different Det because they were having problems.

When I was at ASBC (hold the laughs) My speech was about how Cyber needed to become it's own force if it was to be used effectively. But that's just because I want to be called a Cyberman.

And blue flight suits.