Moody and the A-29

polcat

More like Enlisted Spouse's Club... Ever seen an Private's wife?

I might have. Almost smushed a Hogasaurus on a runway one night.

...........................A Babeasaurus jumped in the SOF pickup and chased it off.......................

As an aside...the OWC was essentially a SARC enforcers squad at one time.

I've heard the same thing from the guys that are in AFG doing the Mi-17 advisor gig. No need to log EP currency if you're not going to do anything about it.

Hahaha. Terrifying and honest all at the same time.

Update on A-29 training: The contractor is still developing the lesson plan, and we have the initial cadre of Afghan students ready to leave. The guys we are sending are all Afghan top notch (in other words, equal to a U.S. doctor in a Bonanza with 100 hours) with previous flying experience. If you get picked up for the program expect to spend at least a year of your Moody assignment in AFG, you know, because the president is sending everyone home...

• 2 weeks later...

Not a huge story. We figure on a 50% abscontion rate of all those we send to the U.S. for training. Most we find, some we don't...

• 3 years later...

Discus, I'm assuming you've moved on from this program. Does anyone have current details about this program? In particular, what is the actual unit at Moody that flies the A-29, what is the application/selection process, and is there a POC or name to talk to about these questions?

I've received a few automated emails about application for "Combat Air Advisor" positions that mention a special operations wing and air commandos. Is this the same program?

Discus, I'm assuming you've moved on from this program. Does anyone have current details about this program? In particular, what is the actual unit at Moody that flies the A-29, what is the application/selection process, and is there a POC or name to talk to about these questions?
I've received a few automated emails about application for "Combat Air Advisor" positions that mention a special operations wing and air commandos. Is this the same program?

A-29s are for Special Operations Fighter Pilots. Combat Air Advisors fly Cessna Caravans in Afghanistan.

42 minutes ago, ihtfp06 said:

A-29s are for Special Operations Fighter Pilots. Combat Air Advisors fly Cessna Caravans in Afghanistan.

Actually, Caravans are for Air Advisors (Big Blue). Combat Air Advisors quality through AFSOC in a myriad of airframes (one of which is the Caravan but they aren’t deploying in the Air Advisor billets). My understanding from the fellas I met in the deployment pipeline is that the A-29 guys can expect to deploy a few times to advise/assist in addition to schoolhouse activities (something maybe the rest of the Air Advisor community should consider, IMHO). 

8 hours ago, GoodSplash9 said:

It's the 81st Fighter Squadron. It's an 11F billet and you need to have been an A-10/F-16/F-15E 4FL and an IP in some kind of jet.

They drop the requirements on the fighter porch.

10 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

A-29s are NOT for Special Operations Fighter Pilots.  

The 81FS at Moody, which is an AETC unit assigned to the 14 FTW at Columbus, flys A29s   

The 6SOS & 711SOS at Duke Field are the two Combat Aviation Advisor squadrons assigned to AFSOC.  They do have 11F’s assigned to them also and do fly multiple aircraft, which include the A-29.  

Spec Ops Fighter Pilot definitely rules me out, don't want to mess with that...I'm looking for active duty flying squadrons willing to consider non-current UPT grad ninja assasins who have been remotely operating for 6+ years?

I'll move it to the moving to a new aircraft thread. Thanks for the replies.