What are my chances for UPT with a delinquent background?

Arrow

Hello,

I have started this thread in an attempt to get in touch with any AF member either enlisted, pilot, recruiter, or any officer that would be willing to discuss with me my background and my chances of being offered a UPT slot. I will not sugar coat my past and will present a comprehensive background of myself, including the strong parts of my application. I don't think it would be smart to post this all on a public forum so I would prefer to communicate through PM. Since I do not know which members I should PM, I would ask that anyone willing to listen and offer their opinion please send me a PM and I will respond asap. Thank you very much.

-Arrow

Edited by Arrow

If you need a moral waiver, you're probably screwed for now. Those were easier to get when we had two large scale shooting wars going on.

So give it a year and we'll have at least two shooting wars again.

Edited by nunya

Thank you for the responses,

In the interim, I am applying to ANG units but I may have to shoot for AD as well since I am nearing the age limit. Would you recommend I speak with an Officer recruiter for either route? The army is certainly something I have looked into as well and have heard the same thing about more lenience with granting waivers...so that option is on the table as well.

The reason I posed this inquiry was because I have read that a recruiter may say no to an applicant just because the amount of effort to reward ratio makes it not worth their time. As an applicant with little knowledge of how the system works, I am seeking first hand experience on what kind of challenges I can expect, how I may best approach those challenges, and any steps I may pre-emptively take to help my case.

And yes, it seems like we are facing an ever increasing threat with ISIS that may have to be met with a more substantial military force. I guess I'm keeping my fingers crosses for that...kinda.

Edited by Arrow

The nations unemployment rate is very high right now, and USAF pilot is a very desirable job. So, list of qualified applicants with no past problems is very long. If you were an employer, who would you bet on to hire? In short, it would be like me applying to be CEO of Google with my Trident online University MBA.

That being said, if you don't try, the answer is always no...

The nations unemployment rate is very high right now, and USAF pilot is a very desirable job. So, list of qualified applicants with no past problems is very long. If you were an employer, who would you bet on to hire? In short, it would be like me applying to be CEO of Google with my Trident online University MBA.

That being said, if you don't try, the answer is always no...

The user: Guest_IIXxRaVeNxXII_*

was told in this thread:

to not ever bother trying.

I have strengths to offset my weaknesses, unlike him. However, I have my sights set on a higher caliber program than he did. I will fight tooth and nail for this as long as there is so much as a glimmer of hope. I believe that there is more than a glimmer of hope for me, but that's just the fighter in me talking.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Nope, you still have to report them. The DoD sees records even if "expunged". Depending on what they were, how long ago they were, and your record since, you may still be okay.

Just out of curiosity, how can DOD see expunged cases if they are deleted from all of the databases? I am not doubting you, just curious as this is against what I was told by an attorney. Again, I believe what you are saying I just don't see how an agency can see an expunged case if it was removed from the federal database. Would it look better if the charges were expunged or pardoned versus just left there?

Edited by ItnStln

Just out of curiosity, how can DOD see expunged cases if they are deleted from all of the databases? I am not doubting you, just curious as this is against what I was told by an attorney. Again, I believe what you are saying I just don't see how an agency can see an expunged case if it was removed from the federal database. Would it look better if the charges were expunged or pardoned versus just left there?

I was told that "expunged" cases are removed from view but are not removed from every data base, and that proper authorites with appropriate keys are able to examine records. Don't know the details. As for "better" I don't think it makes a difference for an OTS purpose. I know of lots of applicants with expunged cases who made it thru the process without a problem so I doubt if it will be an issue. If it were serious enough to be an OTS issue, it probably wouldn't have been expunged in the first place.

I was told that "expunged" cases are removed from view but are not removed from every data base, and that proper authorites with appropriate keys are able to examine records. Don't know the details. As for "better" I don't think it makes a difference for an OTS purpose. I know of lots of applicants with expunged cases who made it thru the process without a problem so I doubt if it will be an issue. If it were serious enough to be an OTS issue, it probably wouldn't have been expunged in the first place.

Thank you for confirming what I suspected, HiFlyer! I asked the court clerk that and she flat out told me that nobody can view expunged cases as they are deleted. As I figured, that sounded too good to be true. Do you by chance have contact information for an officer recruiter for either Active Duty or Air National Guard that you can share? The recruiters that I have spoken to won't discuss being an officer as I do not have my college degree yet. That should be completed by the summer as I only need four classes to graduate.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for confirming what I suspected, HiFlyer! I asked the court clerk that and she flat out told me that nobody can view expunged cases as they are deleted. As I figured, that sounded too good to be true. Do you by chance have contact information for an officer recruiter for either Active Duty or Air National Guard that you can share? The recruiters that I have spoken to won't discuss being an officer as I do not have my college degree yet. That should be completed by the summer as I only need four classes to graduate.

When the FBI does their background check you better believe they will be able to view those files.

- ANG units do their own recruiting. Find some units you are interested in and call them direct.

- AD recruiters are supposed to help you get started, but local offices don't really recruit officers. They should be able to point you to their squadron's "Officer Recruiter", or Google "USAF Recruiting Units", find the one that serves your location, and call that unit. You may apply to an OTS board if you are within one year of graduating. If a local office is too busy, try going to www.airforce.com and using their site to get started.

- ANG units do their own recruiting. Find some units you are interested in and call them direct.

- AD recruiters are supposed to help you get started, but local offices don't really recruit officers. They should be able to point you to their squadron's "Officer Recruiter", or Google "USAF Recruiting Units", find the one that serves your location, and call that unit. You may apply to an OTS board if you are within one year of graduating. If a local office is too busy, try going to www.airforce.com and using their site to get started.

Thank you for your help HiFlyer. I'll make some call to the local ANG units after Christmas. Just out of curiosity, who is the final decision up to? Is it up to the recruiter or is there a board? Ultimately what I am looking for is someone who will look at what I have done since my charges and how I've made the best of a bad situation.

• 4 months later...

I have a similar question. I have a perfectly clean slate, no criminal record, not even a speeding ticket. However, my mom's brothers have done some bad things over the years and have been in Jail several times. I have heard this could affect me joining some some Police Departments and some Fire Departments but would my idiot relatives records affect me joining the military in anyway?

I have a similar question. I have a perfectly clean slate, no criminal record, not even a speeding ticket. However, my mom's brothers have done some bad things over the years and have been in Jail several times. I have heard this could affect me joining some some Police Departments and some Fire Departments but would my idiot relatives records affect me joining the military in anyway?

Shouldn't be a problem at all for joining. However, expect that topic to come up on your security clearance investigation.