Switching between ANG and AFRES

Guest STLCFII

Guest STLCFII

I was just wondering if it's possible to switch from an ANG unit to an AFRES unit or vise versa? If so, can it only happen after the 10 year commitment? Is it possible to switch to a unit with a different airframe? Also, what are the chances of a ANG/AFRES person going back and flying part time at an UPT base? I'm just looking to get a more thorough idea of how things work. Thanks!

Guest AirGuardian

Yes, it happens-not often but I've seen it! We just had a C-17 Reservist from Charleston come on down and join us in our ANG C-17 unit in Jackson. You just bring your commitment along with you... If the other unit is willing to train you in the new airframe then the answer is YES. Doesn't happen normally from heavy's to fighters, just so you know. I've only seen one guy do it, but he was waivered and previously was a T-38 graduate. Very rare! Plenty of AFRES guys flying at Columbus and Moody to name a couple and most of them have/had an airline job. Great having these guys as guest help. They tend to bring a new view or reality check to the whole AETC situation! Big picture if you know what I'm getting at. If you were asking whether you could work as an IP at UPT and not be a part of their squadron(Reserve) and remain at another line unit, not likely. You would have to belong to one unit or another - It's not like our C-17 guys flying with the Charleston guys since we have a flying agreement in place! Goodluck!

Guest STLCFII

Thanks AG for the quick response. Regarding the UPT IP job, I was wondering if it'd be pretty easy to change from an ANG unit to a UPT base AFRES unit and fly for them? Meaning changing units completely. Would you have a choice of which plane you'd fly? Are units usually willing to put you through the schoolhouse if switching to a unit that has a different plane or is it rare too? Thanks again!