Push to integrate deaf individuals into the AF

Stretch

Caught this earlier today. Comm checks could be interesting.

Lifting an overzealous barrier or another body blow to the military for the sake of inclusion/diversity?

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20140802/NEWS/308020038/Lawmaker-wants-trial-program-deaf-serve-Air-Force

A lawmaker who advocates for the deaf is calling for a trial program that would allow a small number of hearing impaired to serve in the Air Force.

Rep. Mark Takano, D-Calif., introduced in the House on Wednesday legislation that would give 15 to 20 people who are deaf or hard of hearing but otherwise fit for military duty the chance to serve their country.

“It is from my direct experience that I can say it is entirely possible for deaf or hard of hearing Americans to serve in the Air Force. Obviously, certain accommodations and limitations would have to be made, but ultimately no more than for other individuals with unique circumstances who are already serving,” Capt. Casey Doane of Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, wrote.

I understand how well deaf individuals can integrate - I went to a school who had 25% deaf/HOH population and have seen it first hand. But this?

If they'll sit in finance and fix my DTS/PCS voucher/DITY promptly via email, I say bring em on.

But I agree, it's more social experiment on a captive populace by the California Democrat than a realistic future.

• Upvote 1

Champ shacked it - the entire MPS building might as well be death and blind. Perhaps we should have a special recruiting push for individuals with an IQ less than 90. The quality of service/work will not change in any appreciable way.

So, we are cutting people currently on duty...and we're opening the entry requirements to people who are 39 years old and deaf people.

Does anyone else feel like we are sending a mixed message here?

• Upvote 1

If this is serious, and I'm not fully convinced that it is, I'm gonna go right out and say this is completely f*cking ridiculous. The AF already turns down hundreds of outstanding airman/cadets every year for incredibly minor medical issues that really wouldn't prevent them from serving well if the "world-wide deployable" rule wasn't in affect. So instead of allowing them to serve, who would otherwise not need any special accommodations, you're gonna let people with serious legitimate medical DQs cut the line and get all the accommodations they want? And how exactly are they going to help better the mission that those DQ'd cadets/airman couldn't do?

Sometimes I question why I'm even trying to join this service. UFB.

And of course this would come from CA..

/rant off

Or dental school, med school, oil rig work. Jesus Christ, it's amazing how much the nav mentality abounds amongst public workers.

What are these mythical nav creatures you speak of

Edited by ElLoco
  • Downvote 1

Hence why the navy calls its navs NFOs. NFO: No Future Outside.

Anyone who seriously believes this is silly. Sure, there isn't an obvious career path to Delta, but there are plenty of opportunities in the outside world.

• Upvote 1

The AF already turns down hundreds of outstanding airman/cadets every year for incredibly minor medical issues that really wouldn't prevent them from serving well if the "world-wide deployable" rule wasn't in affect. So instead of allowing them to serve, who would otherwise not need any special accommodations, you're gonna let people with serious legitimate medical DQs cut the line and get all the accommodations they want? And how exactly are they going to help better the mission that those DQ'd cadets/airman couldn't do?

This is valid. A torn ACL could keep a dude from serving, but I guess punch a hole in his eardrums and he's good to go.

There's also no reason deaf guys couldn't just work as GSA/contractors.

Anyone who seriously believes this is silly. Sure, there isn't an obvious career path to Delta, but there are plenty of opportunities in the outside world.

Haha...navs. Obviously there's plenty of opportunity on the outside for just about everyone in the military, just not in a job that's related even remotely to what the AF trained you to do. I really hope you don't think you can get out and still be a nav.

Haha...navs. Obviously there's plenty of opportunity on the outside for just about everyone in the military, just not in a job that's related even remotely to what the AF trained you to do. I really hope you don't think you can get out and still be a nav.

If you take the view that the AF trained you to see the big picture, calmly make quick decisions under pressure, occasionally tactfully convince higher ranking folks that they're wrong, and get the job done with not enough resources or time, then the AF trained you quite well for the outside world.

Yeah...being a civilian nav...WTF? Ironically, I was offered a job as a civilian F-15 WSO in the St Louis area, but turned it down....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1