Push to integrate deaf individuals into the AF

Stretch

Believe it or not, a 61x told me that flyers shouldn't be officers...because we don't (typically) do EPR's.

I wanted to punch a baby.

You mean the big one in front of you? Anything else there is a CBT.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

Believe it or not, a 61x told me that flyers shouldn't be officers...because we don't (typically) do EPR's.

I wanted to punch a baby.

That's the pot calling the kettle black... I don't know a single 61X who writes an EPR, and I've been in AFMC for six years.

Trying to include every flavor of society into the military is just irresponsible mainly because filling military (deployable) billets with non-deployable personnel just makes your "expeditionary" force less "expeditionary." You just become a government work program. Sure, it looks great on paper (granted, that is what is most important to the AF), but in practice you're actually hurting the overall mission (not as important to the AF). The military needs to be deployable. If you or your job isn't deployable (and when I say deployable, I mean necessary in the deployed environment...not just a place filler so we look like we're 'part of the fight'), it shouldn't be a military billet. Making everyone feel warm and fuzzy and important should be the last of the priorities.

I agree with M00SE above, nothing against those with disabilities serving their country...they can do it as a contractor who won't need to deploy. It couldn't hurt starting them off in jobs like finance or anywhere in AFPC...it is quite possible they'd do a much better job than the clowns currently in those jobs.

• Upvote 1

and when I say deployable, I mean necessary in the deployed environment...not just a place filler so we look like we're 'part of the fight'), it shouldn't be a military billet.

Well in that case, 90% of the Air Force should be civilians.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

http://takano.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/rep-mark-takano-introduces-the-keith-nolan-air-force-deaf-demonstration

Rep. Mark Takano Introduces the Keith Nolan Air Force Deaf Demonstration Act

Mar 26, 2015 | Press Release

Washington DC – Earlier today, Rep. Mark Takano (D-CA) introduced the Keith Nolan Air Force Deaf Demonstration Act, which would allow deaf and hard of hearing individuals to serve in the United States Air Force in a demonstration program. Original co-sponsors include Rep. Niki Tsongas, Rep. John Delaney, Rep. Ted Lieu, and Rep. Chris Van Hollen.

Currently, the Department of Defense sets medical standards for enlistment. Within the “hearing” section, there are requirements for hearing levels that would exclude an individual who is deaf. The section also excludes individuals who currently or historically use a hearing aid, or who have a cochlear implant.

The Keith Nolan Air Force Deaf Demonstration Act would create a demonstration program in the Air Force for 15-20 Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals who would otherwise qualify to serve in the Air Force.

Officer Casey Doane, who grew up in a deaf family and is currently serving as a commissioned Officer in the Air Force, believes hearing impaired Americans are capable of serving.

“It is from my direct experience that I can say it is entirely possible for deaf or hard of hearing Americans to serve in the Air Force,” said Officer Doane. “Obviously, certain accommodations and limitations would have to be made but ultimately no more than for other individuals with unique circumstances who are already serving. Growing up in a deaf family I was able to see first-hand the adversity that deaf individuals faced every day. But more importantly, I was able to see the determination and perseverance that is necessary to serve as a leader in the Air Force. In fact, I credit my own determination to those experiences.”

“Over the past few decades, our military has given groups who were previously excluded the opportunity to serve,” said Rep. Takano. “It is time for the Armed Forces to do the same for individuals with auditory impairments, as many are fully qualified model cadets. The demonstration program that this legislation would create would allow 15-20 deaf and hard of hearing individuals who would otherwise qualify to serve their country in the Air Force. I’m proud to introduce this legislation and hope that it moves through the House so that millions of deaf and hard of hearing Americans have the opportunity to serve their country.”

The National Association of the Deaf has endorsed the legislation.