Viper Breitling Order

Slander

Anyone interested in a Viper Breitling order? I want one...and don't know of anyone starting an order anytime soon so I'll do it.

I have done essentially no research other than being envious of everyone else's cool watch. I'll do the leg work when it seems like we're close to enough people being interested.

Dudes -

Here's verbatim the info I got from Breitling.

Personally, after a straw poll of 2 red blooded viper drivers spreading democracy in Germany, we both like the Chronospace vs. the Aerospace. I realize it's double the price...but it's also 46mm and not quartz; it's an automatic movement the way watches are meant to be.

CUSTOM MILITARY LOGO WATCH ORDER REQUIREMENTS:

• 2 models are available for logo printing: Aerospace and Chronospace Auto (Aerospace Evo is not available for custom dial printing)

• A minimum order of 25 pieces is required of the same model, same dial color and same logo design. No exceptions.

• Camera-ready artwork for your logo must be sent by e-mail. We require a high resolution jpeg file.

• Pantone color numbers (PMS) are required (A Pantone color is an international printing language providing an accurate method for the reproduction and control of color) – we cannot create an image or custom dial without these numbers

• Prepayment in the form of one bank check is required after the image of the watch has been approved by squadron – we do not accept credit cards or personal checks

• Delivery to one U.S. address, no individual addresses.

• We do not charge for freight. Shipments are sent via FedEx or UPS – signature required. APO addresses are okay and will be shipped via registered mail

• Sales tax is charged on orders shipping to CT, NY, FL, MI, IL, NV & CA only. Please provide shipping address and phone number contact information.

• Approximate 9 month delivery time - after image has been approved and payment has been received

• Custom logo orders are Final Sale - No returns or exchanges. Custom dials are the only product that Breitling USA sells directly to the consumer. Please refer to an authorized Breitling retailer from our website for any other purchase.

• Current pricing for each model:

Aerospace on Professional 2 bracelet – Retail $4,095.00 – your cost $2,757.00 with logo dial. $2,857.00 with engraved caseback & logo. The Aerospace Evo is not offered for custom dial.

Chronospace Automatic on Professional 3 brclt – Retail $6,975.00 – your cost $4,485.00 with logo dial. $4,585.00 with engraved caseback & logo.

(you may choose an attachment other than what is listed above, i.e. bracelet, calfskin, crocodile, rubber. Pricing will be adjusted depending on attachment)

TIMEFRAME OF CUSTOM ORDERS IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER:

1. Squadron leader chooses watch model, dial color and attachment, then sends camera-ready artwork and Pantone colors via e-mail to: susan.mcdonald@breitlingusa.com

1. Breitling USA sends artwork to Breitling SA home office in Switzerland to create an image of your watch choice with logo on the dial. This takes approximately 4 weeks

1. Breitling USA e-mails logo image to squadron leader for approval.

1. Squadron leader approves design and remits payment by one bank check for entire order made out to Breitling USA. Check is sent attention; Susan McDonald to Breitling USA, 206 Danbury Road, Wilton, CT 06897

1. Breitling USA places watch order with Breitling SA

1. Breitling USA delivers custom watches once they arrive from Breitling SA approximately 9 months after order date. Watches can be delivered all at once or as they are received in batches. Squadron leaders choice.

post-2362-0-51809100-1406563340_thumb.jp

post-2362-0-91540200-1406563351_thumb.jp

Sure man, I can give you a quick rundown.

Quartz watches rely on a vibrating piece of quartz that's powered by a battery. Its fundamentally the same whether it's a $5000 Bell & Ross or $5 Casio. The quartz piece vibrates at a given frequency, the watch has a little computer chip that counts each vibration and displays the time accordingly. It's quite accurate. This theory is how any digital watch works (to include your computer).

An automatic-mechanical watch is powered by a vibrating spring that is wound up from the movement of your arm back and forth through daily life. There is an uneven weight inside the watch which winds up the spring. From a fully wound state, the Chronospace claims a 42 hour power reserve. I have a couple other automatic watches and they claim similar times and I get about 36 hours from them without keeping them on a watch winder. The reason I like mechanical watches better is because they are hand constructed by master watchmakers and are truly pieces of art.

Until about 5 years ago, Breitling purchased its movements from a company called Eta which produces the majority of automatic movements. Breitling since has taken to supplying its own movements since the Swatch Group bought Eta and raised the price.

A "chronograph" is a fancy word for stop watch.

A "chronometre" is a watch which is tested by a Swiss governing body under stress and keeps excellent time. Early chronometres were used to measure the longitudes of the earth as sailors crossed the ocean (they were really big "ship's clocks" and not worn on the wrist, although your chronometre should be accurate enough to pull this off if you're a skilled enough navigator and sailor...or you could use a GPS). A "certified chronometre" watch will cost significantly more than a non certified, non-chronometre automatic watch. I forget the specific metric that's required, I think the watch has to keep time within 1" over a week or something like that. My other automatic watches lose about 1' per two weeks which is about normal, according to the jewelers I bought them from.

Hope that helps.

Here's the basics of how a mechanical watch works:

http://youtu.be/cZwq1KL4SD0

An automatic watch is pretty much the same except instead of you winding up the spring by hand, it has a weighted rotor that ratchets its way around bit by bit like Slander said, and that keeps the spring wound up.

And then as you add more features like a date display, chronograph, etc., the mechanical bits get more and more complicated. So what you're paying for is a super precise hand built very complicated little machine!

The Breitling rep is on vacation for 2 weeks, so no updates until she gets back.

Sounds like more and more people are interested in the Chronospace so that's my plan for now. I'll work on a design. I asked about having more than one customized logo on the watch (like the viper swirl and an f-16) and that's when I found out she's on vacation. I also asked about trying to get the second hand have an f-16 on it like this one the swiss demo team got...it's pretty sweet.

I tried to get the rep to tell me if they were going to bring back the quartz Chronospace. Not that I'm surprised, but she never gave me a real answer. There was an order of these a little over a year ago. Too bad I wasn't a Viper guy yet.

post-4217-0-43783900-1407202448_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

I certainly understand the takers for the Aerospace because of the digital windows and all...

...however, I am not buying this watch to fly with it. I have a $200 auto-time-hacking G-shock that suits me fine and does everything I need in the cockpit. No way in hell would I risk destroying a Breitling during a DBFM set as I swing my left wrist around (sts) trying to grab the opposite side towel rack. That's why I wear a watch in the jet that I can break without breaking the bank to replace.

Now, that Chronospace is a work of art. That's the kind of watch you put back on after taking the g-suit off and before pouring a couple fingers of 21 year old Scotch.

Just my opinion, fellas.

I certainly understand the takers for the Aerospace because of the digital windows and all...

...however, I am not buying this watch to fly with it. I have a $200 auto-time-hacking G-shock that suits me fine and does everything I need in the cockpit. No way in hell would I risk destroying a Breitling during a DBFM set as I swing my left wrist around (sts) trying to grab the opposite side towel rack. That's why I wear a watch in the jet that I can break without breaking the bank to replace.

Now, that Chronospace is a work of art. That's the kind of watch you put back on after taking the g-suit off and before pouring a couple fingers of 21 year old Scotch.

Just my opinion, fellas.

But I like the numbers! The aerospace says I have money to burn AND have a difficult time reading analog displays all in one package (sts).

The Chronospace movement is made in house by Breitling. In years past Breitling bought high end ETA movements but when Swatch Group bought ETA they raised the prices and Breitling decided to start self sourcing movements again. That was a few years ago and there were some growing pains. They've got it sorted out now and the B01 movement is a masterpiece. A Tourbillion it isn't, but this is a $6500 watch not a $65,000 watch.

For anyone wondering, I did ask Breitling USA about a custom second hand and they said no. They haven't made a custom Chronospace with two custom dials yet that's why the example doesn't have it.

Expect the Chronospace order I make to be serialized if they'll let me do it.