American Flag Shoulder Patch Out of Regs?!?!

Magruber

There are no hard and fast rules on this which is why I was not absolute in what I said. How about, If the local sup or local policy says that you will wear the wing patch on the left shoulder of the FDU then at that base it would be out of regs or at least a violation of local policy.

Back when Herks were ACC, this was a constant battle. Nothing that hasn't been done before.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

• Upvote 1

AFI 36-2903 para 8.4.7 specifically allows US Flag, wing/group/center emblem, and school patches. Although subordinate instructions or local policies can be "more strict", they shouldn't run directly counter to the parent reg. It would be the equivalent of saying "even though the AFI says to, on this base we're more strict, we don't wear hats with our ABU's."

ACC sup (the one I have may be outdated) leaves it up to the installation commander. I realize this is an AETC issue but can't find that sup right now.

This has always been an issue.

Edited by Herk Driver

Yes please go to extremes to make my point seem ridiculous.

Standardization is all well and good. But not allowing me to wear it is American blasphemy. You should look at your shoulder and see who you fight for. I don't serve for the 71 FTW but for the USA. That's my point. It's what ALL services have in common. It's what ALL Americans have in common. To say it's not authorized for my uniform is a tremendous oversight.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

ACC sup (the one I have may be outdated) leaves it up to the installation commander. I realize this is an AETC issue but can't find that sup right now.

This has always been an issue.

Full disclosure, I am a MAF guy. But I have never understood all of the push-back towards dudes who do not wear the American Flag on the left shoulder at UPT bases, or WIC grads, or TPS grads. A person at my previous base asked one of the Patches if he was proud to serve his country because he no longer wore the American Flag.

However, Kadena and Mildenhall guys don't wear the American Flag and it never seems to be an issue.

• Upvote 1

You need an embroidered piece of cloth on your arm to remind you who you fight for.

Your family and your Sq bros aren't enough to remind you.

The uniform itself isn't enough.

The jet you fly into combat, emblazoned with "U.S. Air Force" and the star and bars..... also not enough.

Copy all.

Yes I do. Somewhere in history we forgot what it means. Being the flag bearer was an honor. Now we roll over and act like it ain't no thing. Uniforms are fallible. The flag isn't. But apparently I'm in the minority.

Seems to swing back and forth between whoever is in command of the base (ACC vs AMC). Except when Col. Mack (now BG) was the WG/CC, the AMC guys wore the american flag, the ACC guys wore the wing patch and morale patches and Friday shirts were the norm even though the AFI said otherwise.

Gays weren't allowed in the military either.

Whatever. You detract from your argument.

I just assume that my sheer awesomeness let everyone know I was an American. I've always laughed at flightsuit-wearers from other countries who have to wear their flag just so I know where they're from. Americans are so awesome that people just know.

Superpower coming through. Humble but awesome.

For me, wearing the flag on my shoulder is something of personal pride.

I understand the regs and before coming to AFSOC I was in wings that chose to wear their patch instead of Old Glory. It didn't diminish the pride that I have for it in any way whatsoever, but I can understand different wings wearing different patches. BL, as long as I know how much it means to me personally, I'm ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk