What to do/not do as a new LT (aka how not to be "that LT")

Vice

Going to be commissioning in a few years; I'll have a few years in already as a prior enlisted guy, but what can I expect as a new LT? How am I going to get messed with? What assumptions are people going to make of me? What are somethings I should definitely NOT do (besides make threads like this)?

Anytime the words "But I thought...." Seem like the right thing to say.

Noted. "But I thought...." sounds like an ego protection method. Whenever I screw something up I just say something along the lines of "Hey I dropped the ball there, won't happen again". Made everyone get off my case quicker and on to more important things like lunchtime. My ego can be stroked somewhere else

Don't forget all the lessons you learned as a prior. And don't think that being prior enlisted makes you any better than the 2LT next to you. And for the love of God , don't salute 1st Lts unless you are standing next to a Chief or a Commander.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

• Upvote 1

Don't forget all the lessons you learned as a prior. And don't think that being prior enlisted makes you any better than the 2LT next to you. And for the love of God , don't salute 1st Lts unless you are standing next to a Chief or a Commander.

I've heard about this... why not? My best guess is that 2LT/1LT = A1C/SrA and therefore it's weird

Going to be commissioning in a few years...

Good thing you asked now, with only a few years left to go you may have run out of time to ask.

Relax, dude, you still have a lot of maturing to do, as many people do (myself included, and I have a feeling I'm much, much older). I'm not exactly the same person today as I was a few years ago, and hopefully you weren't either. Focus on just being a good dude, a good enlisted guy/student/cadet, and a good citizen and the rest will start to work itself out when you get closer to commissioning. Then when you get closer you can start asking more serious questions.

Be a bro and a peer leader. You should strive to be the best you can be, and that means bringing those up around you. If your peers are struggling, you should be helping them, if you're struggling your peers should be helping you, Foster the type of peer environment that you and your bros are on the same page and everyone's goal is to make the group better. The team gets better, then the Air Force gets better. The rest is just careerist asshole stupid shit.

• Upvote 1

Rank among Lts is like virtue among whores.

The biggest downfall I've seen of prior E 2Lts is that they think they've already paid their dues and their shit don't stink. Realize you're starting over again and you're a brand new retard. That being said, you're more experienced and knowledgable than the average 2Lt. This ain't your first rodeo. Use this opportunity to help and mentor your fellow retards. When I was brand new I was helped by a prior E fellow 2Lt who explained the ways of the Air Force to me. You'll also have the respect of the enlisted from Day One. That is not the case for most officers. Use that to your advantage. Be humble.

Also, STFU. You'll know it's time to start talking when people ask you your opinion. That probably won't happen until you're a Capt.

• Upvote 1

And for the love of God , don't salute 1st Lts unless you are standing next to a Chief or a Commander.

2, unless they are an IP at UPT.

- Volunteer for anything aircraft-related (i.e. tail swaps, any and all TDYs, engine changes with MX, static displays, anything really)

- Take out the trash

- Make good corn

- Don't be a weirdo in general

- Hang out with the guys

- Be extremely nice to everyone's significant other and ensure your significant other (if you have one) does the same

- Treat the Boss like a normal human being and talk to him when he's around in the bar

- Ask questions even if you think you know the answer

- Have a good time :beer:

• Upvote 3

Be social, but don't be known as a drunk. Fly your ass off and never let people make you log "other" time. Excel in your job but dont act like a suck up. Realize your commander is a human being and not a deity, feel free to talk to them as much as you want, they can give you pro tips that are valuable. Realize that your assignment out of UPT is probably the most control you will ever have over an assignment, after that you are tribute to AFPC flesh peddling. Your career is a chess game, if you kick ass in your current spot and keep in mind your next 2 moves, you're in good shape. Good luck

It seems like most of the big stuff has been covered, so something small that will help you in the future is learning the differences in how the services abbreviate rank. It will really matter in a joint environment

For example, LT is a Navy O-3 and CAPT is a Navy O-6. In the Air Force, it is Lt (2d or 1st) and Capt.