Major Board Upgrade

DFRESH

Folks,

In a few weeks, I will be performing a major upgrade. I will make a few more announcements here once I know when the expected down time and duration will be.

Please just make sure to do it between 8:00 and 1530 on a Tuesday to replicate AFPC or DTS as closely as possible. After all, it's what we are all used to.

• Upvote 3

• 9 months later...

Folks... Looking to do a "major upgrade" again. Last time wasn't even noticeable. This time, however, it includes moving servers! So, there may be some wonky shit happening over the next 48 hours as I transition to another server. There may be a period of time where posts show up right after you post them, and then disappear within an hour or so. You may also get an error saying the site does not exist. Don't put on your tin foil hats, it'll be back!

Folks... Looking to do a "major upgrade" again. Last time wasn't even noticeable. This time, however, it includes moving servers! So, there may be some wonky shit happening over the next 48 hours as I transition to another server. There may be a period of time where posts show up right after you post them, and then disappear within an hour or so. You may also get an error saying the site does not exist. Don't put on your tin foil hats, it'll be back!

Thanks for putting in all the work to keeping the forums going, dude. Rich would be proud.

• Upvote 5

• 3 months later...

Remember a long time ago when I said I was about to make a major move to a faster server and there was going to be a major upgrade to the site software? Okay, it's happening now, for real. The forums WILL be offline for some amount of time (should be less than 12 hours). Knowing this, I'm sure AFPC will put out some vague memo about the next RIF/VSP/ACIP/etc in the next few hours. I plan to start at about 0400Z on 07 August 2015.

• Upvote 1

Well, those turned into 12 MX hours.... And the new server is code 3. However, I'll be continuing to build out the new server in a test environment. Hopefully I'll be able to get a mirror of this site set up with the much needed security updates on the new server soon. Then we'll try this again.

• Upvote 1

Woot Woot! Got the other server fully functional... shoulda just left the site offline for another 24 hours. Oh well... I'm gonna run some extra tests just to be sure everything's groovy, and then shoot for a new upgrade date.

• Upvote 1

got an email from you regarding user/display names for login. Is everyone getting those? I'm confused because mine are identical.

Edited by stract

This seems like a huge downgrade on iPhone using the browser. Before, I could go right to the first unread post in a thread. Now I can either go to the beginning of the thread, or the last page, which may or may not be where I would've last read. Maybe there's something I'm missing to get the old functionality back, but this makes it MUCH harder to keep up. 

Perhaps a setting on my part but videos are no longer embedded from my view.  Check the "flying videos" thread.

Also, when replying to a thread the previous ability to insert media is no longer active... i.e. the link button on the tool bar only allows an image URL and the "insert other media" allows a preloaded image or a URL. 

Thanks for the data... These are probably all things I need to adjust settings for. One thing that this upgrade should have brought was the ability to upload images/videos directly, rather than having to link to an outside source every time... I'll look into each of these things.

Youtube video:

So based on that, it looks like you just have to paste the link to whatever you're looking at and it will auto-pull the video...

Kaley-Cuoco-Net-Worth.jpg

but super awesome pictures must be included using the "insert other media" link.

Edited by DFRESH

I can't remember if it was a setting or not. It worked that way (going directly to last unread post) for years now.  They layout on the iOS browser is also much busier, so it's not quite as easy to read a thread, but that's not a deal breaker. But yeah, the not going to the last post is what I consider a major downgrade. If I go more than a day without visiting the forum, with the old feature it was super easy to pick a thread back up without having to think about "what the hell did I read last time??".  I'll probably just skip to the last couple posts now and miss out on any earlier discussion!

The heart emoji for showing that someone has liked a post seems grossly out of place. Maybe swap that with something like a thumbs-up or plus sign? (Even a smiley face would be an improvement over the heart.)

While posting this reply using the iPhone app, I got this message when clicking on both the camera and picture icons:

Photo Sharing

Your forum has disabled image sharing from this app.

Thanks for taking care of the board.