TPS Contractor-Leased Platforms

LJDRVR

Just a question for those of you in the know. How often does the USAF still lease training platforms for the flying qualities portion of the curriculum? I know the Calspan Lear 24 makes a living there, but was wondering: what other type of aircraft are used in this role?

I know Pax River still gets aircraft from the Commemorative Air Force, but I am not sure if the lease them or just borrow them, but they routinely get a B-25 and an Albatross.

They also borrow a C-17 periodically.

Wow, they get to solo the MIG-17. Not too shabby. The brakes on that jet will eat your lunch.

Actually, it's the MiG-15 and the trainer version at that. All pilots fly in the front with the safety pilot in the back to provide a safety backup. In almost all cases, the student does everything with the safety pilot instructing as required.

In my class, we flew the following contracted aircraft: AN-2, MiG-15, CM-170, T-6 SNJ, HU-16, Extra 300, LJ-25 (Calspan Testbed), NF-16 VISTA, Grob 103, ASK-21, SGS 2-33. There was also a large number of military aircraft (USAF, USN, Canadian, Italian, Spanish and British) that we flew.

In my class, we flew the following contracted aircraft: AN-2, MiG-15, CM-170, T-6 SNJ, HU-16, Extra 300, LJ-25 (Calspan Testbed), NF-16 VISTA, Grob 103, ASK-21, SGS 2-33. There was also a large number of military aircraft (USAF, USN, Canadian, Italian, Spanish and British) that we flew.

Damn, that sounds like a lot of fun! It's too bad I don't have a technical undergrad degree

...and I am a 13S

Actually, it's the MiG-15 and the trainer version at that. All pilots fly in the front with the safety pilot in the back to provide a safety backup. In almost all cases, the student does everything with the safety pilot instructing as required.

Cool. The resolution wasn't good enough for me to count the stall fences. I'm thinking about abandoning my financial sanity and purchasing a MIG-21UM. The only way I could justify the cost were if I was able to secure a contract or two. Just starting to do the research. Thanks for the info.

Cool. The resolution wasn't good enough for me to count the stall fences. I'm thinking about abandoning my financial sanity and purchasing a MIG-21UM. The only way I could justify the cost were if I was able to secure a contract or two. Just starting to do the research. Thanks for the info.

A MiG-21...sweet. Although, I would be quite nervous flying in the back with an unqualified dude up front. The visibility is horrendous and those mirrors used to view the runway seem sketchy.

A MiG-21...sweet. Although, I would be quite nervous flying in the back with an unqualified dude up front. The visibility is horrendous and those mirrors used to view the runway seem sketchy.

Yeah, a good part of the checkout is going to be getting comfortable with the sight picture in back. Day/VMC, and the student has plenty of swept-wing jet experience. Everyone I've talked to about it has said the -21 is a very straightforward airplane with only a few quirky characteristics. And not a whole lot of fuel.

Wow, they get to solo the MIG-17. Not too shabby. The brakes on that jet will eat your lunch.

Just so you know, your visual ID skills ARE accurate, that IS a MiG-17. Although it is parked out there, as of yet, it is not being flown by the staff/students. We do bring in a MiG-15 for each class. I was the program manager that owned all the contracts for our civilian contracted aircraft (except CALSPAN), from 2010 until early this year. In my opinion it was the coolest job in the Air Force, and the qualitative evaluation program was consistently one of the students' favorite parts of TPS.

Edited by Highside

I think the only work out there is contract red-air, but likely no growth there....

How was the vista?

How was the vista?

It was pretty awesome...they can emulate all sorts of other aircraft FCS. They allowed us to see an alpha-command aircraft...after seeing that, I'm surprised the designers went with pitch-rate and G-command in the Viper during landing. It is much easier to land well when the airplane flies like a normal airplane.

Just so you know, your visual ID skills ARE accurate, that IS a MiG-17. /quote]

I stand corrected on the VID. Still, TPS students are very unlikely to get the opportunity to solo the MiG-15 or MiG-17. A-10? Sure.