Total Federal Commissioned Service Date?

Hey guys, I was looking at the past couple PSDM announcements for the UFT boards. On last year's PSDM, it said this:

B. All applicants who meet eligibility requirements as defined in AFI 36-2205 may apply.
However, opportunities may be limited or restricted for some rated applicants in critical weapon
systems in order to maintain acceptable operational manning levels. Applicants must meet all
other eligibility criteria to apply for UFT.
Pilot, CSO, ABM and RPA Pilot Training Applicants:
Date of Birth after 1 Apr 1984 (max age 30).
Total Federal Commissioned Service Date (TFCSD) after 1 Apr 2009.
Does that mean for the last board you had to commission after 1 Apr 2009 and is that waiverable? I'm assuming this year they will move it forward another year, making it a requirement to commission after 1 Apr 2010. I commissioned in May 2009.
Thanks.

The only time I've ever applied for pilot was in ROTC when I applied for everything and got CSO. I wanted to apply last year, but I was cross-training aircraft and didn't get to put in while I was in the FTU.

My info may be a few years old but TFCSD is a waiverable item. IIRC if you applied and met a board then applying again and needing a waiver results in you needing an exception to policy. Again, it's been a few years since I read through the AFI or been in a position where I needed to know this but that is what I remember.

Mr. Peterson at AFPC is the guy that knows all the ins and outs of the AFI. It may be worth a call to him to ask, but to answer your question, yes that is waiverable.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

I've been digging through the AFI for a while this morning and it is waiverable. I would have to submit an etp waiver request up my chain and it goes really high. It says it is only for rare circumstances. The waiver requires you to submit the reason for the error (clinical, medical, etc), but in my case it's just that I've never been able to before. I'll call mr Peterson on Monday and see what he says, but it looks like I will need it.

Mr Peterson retired August of last year. The new guy in his position is a Major (can't recall his name at the time) but he isn't very good about answering the phone or responding to emails.

You CAN get a waiver for age or TFCSD without there being an "error". There are just (relatively) very few issued

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's definitely been done though... A guy I went to JSUNT with who flew AWACS for several years and then JSTARS at WRAFB got picked up on the most recent board. We commissioned in 2006. PM me and I'll shoot you his info; maybe you can find him on the Global and see how he cracked the code on that ETP.

TFCSD waivers really depend on the year you are applying. Two years ago one of my guys got this waiver and there were several others.

Sorry to hear that Howard retired. Great guy. Always answered the phone and any questions that you had. That office will never be the same. I still remember the day he called me to tell me that I had gotten picked up for UPT...that was a few years ago. Too bad that level of experience and knowledge are gone now.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

It's definitely been done though... A guy I went to JSUNT with who flew AWACS for several years and then JSTARS at WRAFB got picked up on the most recent board. We commissioned in 2006. PM me and I'll shoot you his info; maybe you can find him on the Global and see how he cracked the code on that ETP.

Don't send him info to that tool. I don't ever recall him being willing to help anyone.

So would the best way to do this probably be to go ahead and write up a memorandum asking for the waiver and start pushing it up my chain? It doesn't seem like there is really any other way around it. I guess I can put down that it was a counseling error when I was told I could not apply while I was in an FTU, even though technically I think I could have.

I just read through a reg on writing memorandums. Does anyone know what type of letterhead they want? Maybe it's best just to use my Majcom's letterhead since it's going up and being approved by them or should I just use my squadron's letterhead? There doesn't seem to be any hard guidance on this and no one I've contacted in my squadron has any idea.

Edited by Spaceballs

So I tried calling Mr. Peterson's replacement multiple times over the past couple days and I can't get anything. He has a voicemail that says something about AFPC is working summer assignments, so quit asking. I also tried to e-mail the listed e-mail on the board announcements from the past couple years, but it immediately gets rejected saying the e-mail is no longer in use.

• 8 months later...

Anyone know if a Date Eligible to Return from Overseas (DEROS) is waiverable if staying overseas would put you over the 5 year TFCSD? AFI 36-2205 says they will move you earlier than your DEROS if you will bust the age limit by staying, but it doesn't say anything about the TFCSD constraint.

I'm on the VML to move this summer and asked for an overseas assignment, so I might have to kick myself in the nuts if I become ineligible to apply for next year's board because of a DEROS.

AFPC has already started offering RPA slots to guys who didn't make it to the pilot board even if they didn't check the box for it. A guy in my squadron called to ask about the pilot board and he was told they're going to offer RPA slots to pretty much anyone who meets the UFT boards and doesn't get picked up.

Mr Peterson retired August of last year. The new guy in his position is a Major (can't recall his name at the time) but he isn't very good about answering the phone or responding

I don't reccommend trying to get a hold of him personally, even my wing execs didn't get a response for two weeks!

As for the TFCSD, each year's PSDM has a different date that is based on and clarifies the requirements in the AFI. I know several people who successfully had these waivers written and it wasn't an issue for them. If you're want more details pm me your .mil address and I can send you their ETP memos. It has the format, signature routing, etc. I'm sure your sq/og execs will appreciate you giving them a good product to review :)

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know who the new POC is for the UFT boards? Who took over for Mr. Peterson? I emailed the org box in the last PSDM that says to refer your questions that email address but I haven't got an answer. If you know, can someone shoot me a PM and I'll give you my .mil.

Thanks

Edited by Chromedome