FY2015 NDAA

There are so many problems with the AMP-I'm sure there's got to be a thread dedicated to that. But this has turned into a boondoggle with zero chance of the Herk ending up compliant with CNS-ATM.

But there's a 100% chance that some of the good people of Missouri will continue to be employed.

Well I totally missed this change. This is getting some attention in the national news, but here's the source documentation.

http://www.armed-services.senate.gov/press-releases/senate-committee-on-armed-services-reach-agreement-with-house-counterparts-regarding-the-national-defense-authorization-act-for-fiscal-year-2015

Requires the Secretary to provide person-to-person mental health assessments for active duty and Selected Reserve members each year, and to report to Congress on the tools and processes used to provide the assessments.

Here is the actual wording of the current bill as passed by the House and awaiting vote by the Senate.

http://armedservices.house.gov/index.cfm/files/serve?File_id=926D63B6-5E50-49FC-99EF-A59B98825265

SEC. 701. MENTAL HEALTH ASSESSMENTS FOR MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES.

(a) ANNUAL MENTAL HEALTH ASSESSMENTS.—

(1) IN GENERAL.—Chapter 55 of title 10, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 1074m the following new section: ‘‘§ 1074n. Annual mental health assessments for members of the armed forces

‘‘(a) MENTAL HEALTH ASSESSMENTS.—Subject to subsection ©, not less frequently than once each calendar year, the Secretary of Defense shall provide a person-to-person mental health assessment for—

‘‘(1) each member of a regular component of the armed forces; and

‘‘(2) each member of the Selected Reserve of an armed force.

‘‘(b) ELEMENTS.—The mental health assessments provided pursuant to this section shall—

‘‘(1) be conducted in accordance with the requirements of subsection ©(1) of section 1074m of this title with respect to a mental health assessment provided pursuant to such section; and

‘‘(2) include a review of the health records of the member that are related to each previous health assessment or other relevant activities of the member while serving in the armed forces, as determined by the Secretary.

‘‘© SUFFICIENCY OF OTHER MENTAL HEALTH ASSESSMENTS.—

‘‘(1) The Secretary is not required to provide a mental health assessment pursuant to this section to an individual in a calendar year in which the individual has received a mental health assessment pursuant to section 1074m of this title.

‘‘(2) The Secretary may treat periodic health assessments and other person-to-person assessments that are provided to members of the armed forces, including examinations under section 1074f of this title, as meeting the requirements for mental health assessments required under this section if the Secretary determines that such assessments and person-to-person assessments meet the requirements for mental health assessments established by this section.

An excerpt of the current law in 10 USC §1074m©:

(1) The mental health assessments provided pursuant to this section shall—

(A) be performed by personnel trained and certified to perform such assessments and may be performed—

(i) by licensed mental health professionals if such professionals are available and the use of such professionals for the assessments would not impair the capacity of such professionals to perform higher priority tasks [...]

Best case scenario for the queep-minded is just extra questions from their PCM, but still face-to-face. The other distinct possibility is most everybody goes to MH for the evaluation. How the Services will implement is yet to be seen.

But why the change? Sen Donnelly (D-IN) has been pushing for this larger suicide prevention reform for some time, first introducing S.810 (AKA the "Jacob Sexton Military Suicide Prevention Act of 2013") in Apr 2013. It was eventually included in the original Senate version of the 2015 NDAA in May of this year and has remained.

http://www.donnelly.senate.gov/newsroom/press/donnellys-military-suicide-legislation-passes-key-hurdle-advances-in-ndaa

http://www.donnelly.senate.gov/newsroom/press/donnelly-new-military-suicide-numbers-incredibly-concerning-reinforce-importance-of-passing-jacob-sexton-act

Is there anything that clinically proves that someone considering harming themselves/others will answer those questions honestly and potentially break the chain?

That's kinda impossible to know because we don't know what these questions will be yet. However deployment questionnaires fulfill this requirement because the have the same purpose and require a face to face. So they will likely to be similar to those.

In my experience, folks that answer positively to these questions USUALLY already voluntarily self identified as needing help, so they are just being consistent in something they're already doing. I can't say I've personally seen Suicide specific preventive action taken from deployment questionnaires as the FIRST trigger, but I have seen it for depression.

So my own opinion is it's slight lip service to the problem. If somebody really wanted to fix the problem, we need substantial increase in funding and manning for mental health professionals. It's a very overworked position.

However all this is from my experience with the Air Force. I couldn't comment on the other branches.

I don't know but I do know the answers to all of the drinking questions. "I drink once or twice a month, I Never have more than two drinks, I never drink and drive and I've stopped beating my wife. Can I have my new 1042 now?"

Have found that my answers raised eyebrows the first time and then never again...1-2 drinks everyday. Ethanol intake helps boost HDL levels...haven't been asked about it since

Have found that my answers raised eyebrows the first time and then never again...1-2 drinks everyday. Ethanol intake helps boost HDL levels...haven't been asked about it since

As long as they don't dig for the specific quantity in each of those "1-2 drinks", you're in good shape! :beer:

I told my flight doc that I generally cry myself to sleep and wet the bed every night due to the horrors I've seen at the Al Udeid DFAC. He didn't find it funny.

He should've been there when they ran out of chicken breasts for three weeks.

And now you're probably thinking to yourself, "if only there was an organization that flew large cargo airplanes..."

• Upvote 2

Saw that the NDAA also will require Tricare to provide breast feeding pumps and other related supplies to new mothers as a new Tricare benefit. Even though Tricare is exempt from ACA rules this brings us in line with what is now required of insurers in this area. That is actually a step in the right direction.

Currently Tricare covers breast enhancement surgeries but not breast feeding supplies. Can you tell we're a male dominated organization?

Wait, what? How do I sign the wife up for this glorious benefit?

The statement you are referencing is not accurate. Tricare does not cover routine breast augmentation surgeries. Tricare coverage is very nuanced...go to their website and read it for yourself. Edited by Herk Driver

I saw language that prohibits further transfer of tails. I'm sure we'll figure out a way to interpret that as permission to do whatever the f we want.

Last edition I saw prohibited the transfer of tails until 60 days after the USAF submits a report justifying the moves. I'm pretty sure that AFRC and AMC has just such a report and the associated metrics that go with it ready to submit. So theoretically, they could start moving airplanes around in the near future.

Last edition I saw prohibited the transfer of tails until 60 days after the USAF submits a report justifying the moves. I'm pretty sure that AFRC and AMC has just such a report and the associated metrics that go with it ready to submit. So theoretically, they could start moving airplanes around in the near future.

That's what I'm talking about!

They did cover my wife's breast reduction. I suppose that's not what most guys are looking for....

yep they will...it depends on the circumstances but that is not what was said. They do not cover routine breast augmentation and their website covers the nuances to what they may or may not cover.

http://tricare.mil/CoveredServices/IsItCovered/AugmentationMammoplasty.aspx?sc_database=web

Edited by Herk Driver